Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 06:26 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyhopkins View Post
Actually 79% of people with a credit score of 800 are being denied auto loans right now. Lots of "creditworthy" people that are borrowing far less than the purchase price are being denied. Most if not absolutely all financial institutions are trying to "shrink" their balance sheets right now. So getting a loan, no matter how creditworthy you are, and no matter how large a deposit you are putting down, is difficult. To some extent it may have nothing to do with a potential borrower, but rather the precarious amount of capital that lenders have.
Can you source these figures?

Old 10-09-2008, 07:56 PM

137 posts, read 552,663 times
CNBC yesterday.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:30 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,394,616 times
Quote:
CNBC yesterday.

I think they may be overplaying it a bit or only taking numbers from certain segments. Their numbers do not appear to be anywhere close to the norm here. I always question the motive of television so-called news.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:31 PM

7,140 posts, read 4,735,089 times
Quote:
CNBC yesterday.
I have googled "CNBC, 10/8" and typed various key words into the search link; also googled "CNBC Car Loans" "CNBC Car Loans Denied" and "Credit Score 800 denied car loans" and have not come up with an article or any information regarding the information you've provided.

Maybe I'm not looking in the correct place.

Would greatly appreciate your posting the article or its link here.

Thank you,
Best,
toodie

Old 10-09-2008, 08:57 PM

147 posts, read 689,025 times
Anecdotally, our friend went in to a car dealership to find out how much he could get for his minivan on trade-in. He was told by the salesperson that unless he had a credit score over 800 there was no way he was going to get a loan at the moment, even with his trade-in (the trade-in is owned free and clear). Admittedly, he didn't actually apply or anything. And certainly he could try at his own bank/credit union instead. But this was what the salesperson told him.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:28 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
I think they may be overplaying it a bit or only taking numbers from certain segments. Their numbers do not appear to be anywhere close to the norm here. I always question the motive of television so-called news.
I wonder how much the "so-called news" is responsible for this entire mess!!!

Vicki

Old 10-10-2008, 04:35 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,394,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I wonder how much the "so-called news" is responsible for this entire mess!!!

Vicki

There is no doubt in my mind that they are 100% responsible for starting it. They were trying to say we were in a recession for over a year now, even though the numbers proved them wrong. They just kept pounding it home, day after day. Every night of dramatic music on the news, telling us how bad life is for us. Most of what is happening is based on emotion. The media created this emotional reaction. Yes, there are some fundamental issues, but the media has made sure that we all feel as bad as possible. Here is a little inside info - The news programming will change to "everything is wonderful and coming up roses" on 01/20/2009. It's by design.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:45 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
There is no doubt in my mind that they are 100% responsible for starting it. They were trying to say we were in a recession for over a year now, even though the numbers proved them wrong. They just kept pounding it home, day after day. Every night of dramatic music on the news, telling us how bad life is for us. Most of what is happening is based on emotion. The media created this emotional reaction. Yes, there are some fundamental issues, but the media has made sure that we all feel as bad as possible. Here is a little inside info - The news programming will change to "everything is wonderful and coming up roses" on 01/20/2009. It's by design.
some issues? The media surely isn't without fault but you can also say it's a good thing they harped on this and got the truth to come out. Who knows how much longer the goverment and big business would have tried to hide it.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:47 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korillian View Post
Anecdotally, our friend went in to a car dealership to find out how much he could get for his minivan on trade-in. He was told by the salesperson that unless he had a credit score over 800 there was no way he was going to get a loan at the moment, even with his trade-in (the trade-in is owned free and clear). Admittedly, he didn't actually apply or anything. And certainly he could try at his own bank/credit union instead. But this was what the salesperson told him.
Frankly that isn't a bad thing. People are way over their heads in cars more than mortgages. The solution no one talks about is limiting how much people can borrow as a ratio to their income.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:24 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,732,608 times
Quote:
So it's the news media that caused housing prices to skyrocket, that caused lenders to give loans with no relation to the borrowers' ability to repay, that caused Bear Stearns to crumble, that caused Lehman Brothers to go bankrupt? That theory is... interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary