Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:21 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,192,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
I've never talked about politics with any of my neighbors. That's a subject I only discuss with close friends. I don't know the political leanings of 99% of my neighbors, nor do they know mine. We all get along just fine. Sure, there are a few people in my neighborhood who have put political signs in their yards, but the vast majority of people have not. That's true of every neighborhood I've visited around here in recent weeks. Remember that those signs merely reflect the opinion of a particular person who lives in a particular home. It does not represent the feelings of the entire neighborhood.
I agree with this sentiment 100%. I never talk politics with neighbors and I have no idea what their views are nor do I really care to. I'd rather talk to them about their kids, college football, work, landscaping , and beer.

I cringe when people post on here asking for recommendations on where to look for conservative or liberal areas to live here in the triangle because to respond requires one to over generalize and pigeon hole towns. You can find people with different views everywhere in the Triangle. Even if you try to surround yourself with "like minded people" you can't control who moves in and out of your neighborhood.

I think StoneOne said it best when they said: "My advice would be to find a place you like for other reasons and ignore the viewpoints of your neighbors."

Old 10-08-2008, 10:30 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,011,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
ITB has plenty of both. Cameron Park is very liberal. Five Points is much closer to 50-50. Hayes Barton is pretty well split. Country Club Hills is very conservative. Lakestone and the White Oak Rd areas lean republican. SE Raleigh and University Park are pro democrat. It is amusing to me that folks that do not live in town have strong opinions on our politics and so many other in town issues. You also have many old, southern families that were yellow dog democrats that vote republican. Yellow dog democrat may need to be explained to some of the non southerners on the board.
I would so NOT put 5 Points into the 50/50 category. It's a very liberal area of Raleigh.

Based on your list of other neighborhoods, the defining factor behind the Conservative/Liberal/Mixed areas ITB seems to be housing prices. I agree that you are going to see more conservatives in areas where the average housing price is high and all the areas that you mention have many, many very wealthy people.

But, overall, I think ITB is much more liberal than the rest of Raleigh. These mega expensive neighborhoods are not the majority of people and given the original request, I don't think there is going to be much choice ITB for the stated housing budget.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:46 AM

1,190 posts, read 4,036,669 times
Default reply

In have lived in Five Points for 20 years. What would I know. Yard signs do not tell the story. If it did. my five points street of 50 homes would be split down the middle.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:32 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,723,373 times
Quote:
I do not care about party affiliation. Conservative Democrats are great. Better than a Liberal Republican (Bush). I just feel that many areas here are extremely Liberal and as a moderate, it is a turn off to me. I lean toward conservative on some core issues, not all, so I would prefer to settle in with more like minded people. I don't mind differing opinions, but things are to polarized now. It's harder to have a happy mix. You see the reports of all the local McCain signs being stolen by the Liberals (I am not voting for McCain, but it is still wrong to steal). I am assuming the further away from the city you get, probably the more conservative. Is that a good assumption?
Well, first you say you don't want to be around Liberals, making yourself sound like the next Rush Limbaugh, then you temper your comments...so people may be having a hard time figuring out what you are looking for. I know plenty of "liberals" who agree with many of the points you finally cited (except that they're pro-choice).

Politics in this area is interesting; Wake County probably leans Republican overall, but a lot of it is "Country Club Republican" meaning fiscal conservatism but a more libertarian stance on abortion, gay rights, church/state, etc. (some might call it "New England Republicanism") We don't have so many "firebrand conservatives" around here, and certainly not whole neighborhoods thereof; best place to find those would be in the rural areas away from the Triangle. "Country Club" conservatism would be found in most of the suburban neighborhoods built in the last 20 years, the ritzier neighborhoods in Cary/Apex or North Raleigh in particular.

Generally, the more children in a neighborhood, the more likely to have quote-unquote "family oriented values", though that term drives me nuts. So, go toward the soccer moms and Lexus SUVs of Cary, perhaps.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:18 PM

488 posts, read 1,550,329 times
I would suggest looking in Wake Forest. I would say that it's a pretty conservative area more reflective of the traditional south. You can get into Heritage in your price range and many other Wake Forest neighborhoods as well.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:35 PM

767 posts, read 1,842,675 times
If signs do tell the story, try Holly Springs.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:51 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,183,388 times
I think you can check the results of elections by zip code to see if potential neighbors share your political values. Political donations are also a matter of public record--if you do enough detective work, you can see who people in a neighborhood give money to (regardless of whether they put out a sign).

You might also be interested in reading a book called "The Big Sort: Why the Clustering of Like-Minded America Is Tearing Us Apart."

Publishers Weekly says: "Consequences of the Big Sort are dire: balkanized communities whose inhabitants find other Americans to be culturally incomprehensible; a growing intolerance for political differences that has made national consensus impossible; and politics so polarized that Congress is stymied and elections are no longer just contests over policies, but bitter choices between ways of life."

Old 10-08-2008, 02:03 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,666,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
I think you can check the results of elections by zip code to see if potential neighbors share your political values. Political donations are also a matter of public record--if you do enough detective work, you can see who people in a neighborhood give money to (regardless of whether they put out a sign).

You might also be interested in reading a book called "The Big Sort: Why the Clustering of Like-Minded America Is Tearing Us Apart."

Publishers Weekly says: "Consequences of the Big Sort are dire: balkanized communities whose inhabitants find other Americans to be culturally incomprehensible; a growing intolerance for political differences that has made national consensus impossible; and politics so polarized that Congress is stymied and elections are no longer just contests over policies, but bitter choices between ways of life."
I doubt you would have recommended this book if someone had asked for information on liberal neighborhoods. I honestly don't care too much about my neighbors' political beliefs, and I'm suspicious of this thread, but there does seem to be a big double standard going on on this forum. I frequently see threads about people looking for liberal neighborhoods/cities and rarely do non-liberals chime in to attack the OP.

BTW, it seems to me that Durham and CH are far more polarized than Wake County which votes pretty close to 50/50 (which is fairly representative of the US population).

Old 10-08-2008, 04:58 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,011,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
In have lived in Five Points for 20 years. What would I know. Yard signs do not tell the story. If it did. my five points street of 50 homes would be split down the middle.
What do you consider to be 5Points? That could be the confusion.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:51 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,036,669 times
Default reply

Five Points is the area. The neighborhoods are Bloomsbury, Hayes-Barton, Vanguard Park, Georgetown and Roanoke Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary