U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2008, 12:25 PM

4 posts, read 18,748 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are thinking about moving to the Triangle (from Philadelphia) and was wondering what the Job Market for physical therapists are. She is graduating from the 7th ranked DPT program in the county and we are trying to figure out if the move will be worth it financially as I will likely be employed at my current salary if we move or double if I stay here, as I can do my job from anywhere, but my boss would like to keep me in the area for some reasons unknown to me at this time.

We have looked at salary.com and payscale.com but am not sure if those figures are correct as they are incorrect for the area we live in now by at least 10k if not more based on what she has been offered already.

The biggest difference in cost for us is in the housing and taxes... in a decent neighborhood in Philly for a decent home is going to be at min 350k and the school district may be the worst I have ever seen... and to live in the burbs...well forget it.. the taxes are far to high to even think about it (4-8k easy).

So the question is .. will the doubling of my salary and whatever difference there is in her salary make the difference in staying in this cold miserable city? Or is it close enough to live comfortably down there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 01:25 PM

140 posts, read 397,112 times
I am a physical therapist and 1 yr out of school she can expect making approximately $52,000, working full time in a sub acute rehab facility. I can't speak for outpatient PT salaries. As a per diem therapist she will be looking at $35-$40 per hour. I am a per diem therapist in NJ and making $50-$57/ hour. So, if I were to move back to NC I would be taking a pay cut. And BTW it doesn't make a difference what school you graduate from (she will compete with PT from Duke with giant EGO) or if you have Masters PT or DPT, all that counts is your experience.....

Old 10-09-2008, 01:53 PM

She was already offered much much higher than that at what at a SNF which is normally much lower that out patient.. so that is definitely an interesting figure and a disappointing figure at best.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:47 AM

If anyone has any other insight it would be much appreciated =) as I do not want to stay here but if what the poster above stated is true it will be hard to rationalize a move =/.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,192 times
I am also a physical therapist in the area. I am about 1 year out of school, and a graduate of Duke University. The area is overrun by PTs. I make less than 50,000 per year, and put in a good 10 hours per day. I work in outpatient PT. I would not recommend coming here for the money

Old 05-30-2009, 08:20 AM

Well we decided to stay here..she is making 67+ OT which will put her around 80k this year... even though we had to spend 305k on a house plus another 5k a year in taxes the 30k in salary should make up for the difference in housing. Thanks for the responses.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,625 times
Hi I am a Peds PT in NC. I came from NYC & took an enormous pay cut to live in this area. The home prices are lower and the taxes lower. I have 13 yrs of experience. It truly doesn't matter where you graduated, what matters are the skills you posses. I have an NYU degree and still had to take the pay cut. The salary range is from 55K to 80K most setting. Good luck!

Old 04-04-2010, 06:53 PM

10,694 posts, read 21,596,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeGreiner View Post
Well we decided to stay here..she is making 67+ OT which will put her around 80k this year... even though we had to spend 305k on a house plus another 5k a year in taxes the 30k in salary should make up for the difference in housing.
Why did you "have to" spend $305K on a house??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary