Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 07:21 AM

5,730 posts, read 17,545,002 times

Advertisements

I wrote a monthly article for a local newspaper in the Dallas area for about 2 years. When I started, my spelling was OK, but my grammar was not the best. By the time the 2 years was done, I think that I had improved greatly. That was 4 years ago and I believe that I've regressed back to my old ways. It's sad, but if you don't use it, you lose it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 08:38 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,291,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny_B View Post
Before everyone tars and feathers Beermat, I'd like to risk a similar fate and agree. I think it is sloppy on someone's part to allow a typo like that to get through in a publication.

I once worked for the adult education department of a community college whose brochure contained several spelling mistakes and a couple of grammatical gaffes. I was absolutely horrified. The head of the department was a supposed PhD who literally could not string together two grammatically correct sentences. She was not at all pleased that I pointed out the mistakes.

Jenny_B
Oh, I agree completely. It's one thing for everyday people to make grammatical errors. However, when it comes to professional publications, public speakers and teachers (among others), they should be held to the highest standard.

I know a former teacher who says "hisself." A color commentator in Houston used to say, "could have went." People who make signs and publishers constantly make grammatical errors - not just typos. It's frustrating.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:55 AM

521 posts, read 1,595,521 times
C'mon, people, this is the internet -- it's spelled "grammer."

Old 10-10-2008, 09:45 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,802,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
I received the Cary Chamber 2008 Election supplement in the mail today and was appalled to see that on the two inside pages they spelt 'candidates' as 'canidates'. Maybe I am just old fashioned about spelling and would expect a prestigous organization such as the Cary Chamber not to be so sloppy in in it's communications to the community at large. No doubt at the next meeting someone will stand in the corner wearing a Dunces cap

attached is the online version with exactly the same error - please wake up Cary Chamber

http://www.carychamber.com/PDF/2008votersguide2.pdf (broken link)
You need to lose the apostrophe in the "it's" before the word "communications", too.

I still love ya, Beermat

Old 10-10-2008, 11:13 AM

6 posts, read 41,038 times
Whoever wrote the publication probably wears many hats. Typically in that sort of organization, way too many responsibilities are placed on one person. Whoever wrote it probably wasn't hired just for marketing purposes and was likely doing his or her best just to find time to complete the darn publication.

Also, when you do put together a publication, you normally look at the copy multiple times. At some point, you become so familiar with the material that you begin to read the copy in your head; you don' t realize you are not focused on the words on paper. It becomes very easy to overlook a typo or grammatical error when you have composed the document yourself. Most professional publications have editors, whose job it is to read what others have composed with fresh eyes to catch mistakes. I'm guessing the chamber does not have an editor in place for that purpose. Give them a break. Is it really such a big deal that you need to call them out on it in a public arena? No, I think this warrants an "I'm better than you and would never make a mistake" comment stated privately amongst your family or friends who will surely nod their head in agreement, knowing how perfect you are.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:24 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,857,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'm sure the members of the Cary Chamber of commerce are fine folks. A typo now and then is not unheard of.

"prestigious"....

Really?

Thanks NRG looks like I will be having a double helping of humble pie for dinner In my defense I did use the spell checker on City Data

But besides putting me in the stocks and throwing rotten fruit, the point remains that with an important election communication I would expect greater care in proof reading the document which I guess was distributed to every home in Cary; especially as the error is the large banner headline on pages 2 and 3 of the document - and obviously no one at the Cary Chamber reads City Data as the errors are still on the web document as well.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:24 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,207,264 times
Thumbs up No Worries

For the record, I wasn't pointing out spelling errors in your post. I just found it humorous you held the Chamber of Commerce in such high regard.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:28 PM

294 posts, read 827,265 times
dear Kary Cambir,

I spell and write good. please can I work at that place. I is available during the week after this week.

With hot regards,
NH2NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary