Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 07:32 AM

134 posts, read 549,400 times

Advertisements

Our normal provider of insurance for home and car just gave us a quote for the Raleigh area. After we picked ourselves up from the ground from the outrageous price we received, we realized that we need to look elsewhere.

Anyone have a good suggestion of a companmy that offeres decent service at a decent price?

THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 07:56 AM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
Our normal provider of insurance for home and car just gave us a quote for the Raleigh area. After we picked ourselves up from the ground from the outrageous price we received, we realized that we need to look elsewhere.

Anyone have a good suggestion of a companmy that offeres decent service at a decent price?

THANKS!!
My wife and I are moving to Cary. Here's how the insurance quotes turned out for us:

Homeowners (least to most expensive)
Nationwide
Geico
State Farm
Allstate

Auto (least to most expensive)
Geico
Allstate
State Farm
Nationwide

So I'm going with a mixed approach. Nationwide for homeowners and Geico for car insurance. Also getting an umbrella policy with Geico.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:56 AM

579 posts, read 2,862,949 times
I use state farm for homeowners because they don't have breed restictions (I have a pit bull) and I use geico for my car insurance. My homeowners insurance is $35 a month on a 150K house. Our car insurance on two 4-door sedans is about $1300 per year for both.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:01 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Believe it or not...I just sold a first time homebuyer a home. We were told by the sales agent that in the covenants (which no one reads) that they have a restriction against pit bulls. You are not allowed to own one in this particular neighborhood. First time I heard of this so beware and check your covenants. Perhaps its due to the fact that our lots are getting smaller and there is a liability attached to those type of pets?

On the homeowner's insurance...I always tell my clients to check at least 3 places. I give them an estimate of what it should cost, based on other clients, and then they can make the calls and not get overcharged.

Vicki

Old 02-13-2007, 08:05 AM

770 posts, read 2,753,178 times
Default Insurance

we just renewed our home/car insurance home $308K rebuild /contents $215K (I wish) = $540 2 x 2004 cars was $640 (combo deal)
Eirie insurance via Edwards Insurance Group

Old 02-13-2007, 08:11 AM

579 posts, read 2,862,949 times
That is so ridiculous but it happens thanks to irresponsible dog owners who get the rest of us punished. I read the covenants before I would even put an offer on the house as most people should. There could also be a limit on the number of dogs you have or any myriad of ridiculous stuff most people wouldn't even think of. Heck, anywhere in the town of Cary you can't even own more than 2 dogs regardless of the breed.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:47 AM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raccemup View Post
...Heck, anywhere in the town of Cary you can't even own more than 2 dogs regardless of the breed.
Actually, see below regarding dogs. MikeJaquish already cleared this up in another post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
JUST THE FACTS!
I just called Cary Animal Control, as conjecture drives me nuts.
There are no dog or cat limits in Cary.
Limits on dogs were dropped a few years ago, as the ordinance was considered unconstitutional.

YOU'RE WELCOME!

Old 02-13-2007, 04:46 PM

473 posts, read 1,736,761 times
We paid about $500 something annually for Home Owners and we use Progressive for Car Insurance and to be honest.. they totally beat Geico by about $500 on our quote.

Linda

Old 02-13-2007, 06:07 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,149 times
Also, think about what you want from a homeowners policy.

You need to look at what type of homeowners you are getting/you want. You can get homeowners which will cover the cost of your home now. For example, let's say you take out homeowners for $350,000 b/c that is how much your home cost when you bought it this week. That policy will pay that amount if it burns to the ground and ends up costing $500,000 to replace. In other words, it is a flat amount they will pay out, no matter what the actual cost involved.

The other type you can get, which is slightly more expensive, is "replacement value" coverage. This insurance will pay out what the actual cost to replace the home is. They will typically ask a lot of specific questions about the home to understand how teh quality is. For example, if your home was built in 1929 and is a solid brick home, and you bought it for $350,000....it probably is going to cost more than that to replace it. Solid brick homes are expensive these days, and with wood floors throughout, or whatever, it could end up costing a lot more to build than what you paid for it. If it ends up costing $500K to replace it, that is what they will pay.

Also, if you have coverage for $350K now, and it burns down in 10 years, that $350K isn't going to go as far.

If your home actually does get destroyed, replacement cost ins. is probably the only way you will be able to afford rebuilding your home to the current quality. If you are looking for the cheapest price and figuring the chances of your home burning to the ground are not high enough to concern you, then a regular policy would be fine.

As someone else mentioned, an umbrella policy is always a cheap and EXCELLENT idea. It goes above and beyond policy limits for your auto and for your homeowner's liability. Another nice thing about it is that no-one knows you have it. That is to say, if you get in a car accident, and someone brings a lawyer into it and they check into your car insurance, they only know what your car ins. says you have. They do not know you have a $1-2million umbrella policy, which is good b/c if they did, they'd probably be more likely to sue you.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:09 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Thumbs up bta! bta! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bta View Post
Actually, see below regarding dogs. MikeJaquish already cleared this up in another post.
Thanks for the credit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary