Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 01:48 PM

120 posts, read 497,044 times

Advertisements

We just relocated here and we're looking for any local bars that play the Sabres games! I know that Buffalo Brothers plays some of them but does anyone have any other suggestions?! Thanks so much =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 03:35 PM

294 posts, read 826,922 times
Buffalo has a hockey team? never noticed.

Most sports bars will switch around the TV for you if the bar is slow....with that said, to watch the Sabers, it would have to be dead....ZINGER....sorry.....Bruins fan.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamzz View Post
We just relocated here and we're looking for any local bars that play the Sabres games! I know that Buffalo Brothers plays some of them but does anyone have any other suggestions?! Thanks so much =)

Old 10-10-2008, 07:16 PM

316 posts, read 1,003,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamzz View Post
There are plenty of sports bars, some owned by people from New York state. You should have no problem finding one near where you live.

However, do be aware that Sabres fans are not exactly always the most popular here with the 'Caniac Nation. Their behavior during the 2006 Stanley Cup Play-offs was nothing short of appalling and not soon to be forgotten. Behave like a good sport, and you should have no problems no matter who you root for.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:22 PM

225 posts, read 713,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeisnotmyname View Post
There are plenty of sports bars, some owned by people from New York state. You should have no problem finding one near where you live.

However, do be aware that Sabres fans are not exactly always the most popular here with the 'Caniac Nation. Their behavior during the 2006 Stanley Cup Play-offs was nothing short of appalling and not soon to be forgotten. Behave like a good sport, and you should have no problems no matter who you root for.
That's funny. Go Sabres!

Old 10-10-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd51 View Post
That's funny. Go Sabres!
Funny? Ah...no. Rude, obnoxious and in several cases violent and destructive. During the games themselves, roving groups of Sabres' fans were walking the corridors, in one case, knocking over a young child and being rude to venue staff. There were also several arrests.

The behavior of the players was not much better, chipping the home teams good luck coin out of the ice before the game.

Really, it was not that long ago, and many of us have not forgotten it.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:31 PM

242 posts, read 1,210,409 times
You might want to consider the NHL Center Ice package if you have TWC. I'm not much of a hockey fan, but I have been taking the NBA League Pass and MLB Extra Innings packages in order to see my "home" teams play. Its not cheap, but manageable. They run about $160 for a full season (they bill it out over 4 months) and you see just about every game.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:10 PM

225 posts, read 713,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeisnotmyname View Post
Funny? Ah...no. Rude, obnoxious and in several cases violent and destructive. During the games themselves, roving groups of Sabres' fans were walking the corridors, in one case, knocking over a young child and being rude to venue staff. There were also several arrests.

The behavior of the players was not much better, chipping the home teams good luck coin out of the ice before the game.

Really, it was not that long ago, and many of us have not forgotten it.
Like it doesn't happen anywhere else.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd51 View Post
Like it doesn't happen anywhere else.
It doesn't happen here and it's never happened with any other team. I've been to a variety of professional sporting events around the entire nation, and I've never experienced anything like the Sabre fans here.

Manners really are different down here. Not perfect, but certainly more noticable at public events.

For example, when the Oilers played here in the next round it was night and day.

One good thing for you is that when the Sabres play at RBC, most 'Canes fans won't go to this day....you will easily be able to get good tickets because the rest of us won't want to put up with it.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:31 PM

338 posts, read 1,616,163 times
Sergei is right on. There's several different levels of 'excitement for your team' displayed by the visiting team during the Canes games. And Sabre fans are (as a whole) a-holes. Even now. They're poor losers and poor winners. Be happy when your team wins...don't be destructive. And don't be destructive when your team loses either.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:55 AM

80 posts, read 341,297 times
To the original poster - Blinkos on Glenwood is probably your next best bet for a Sabres game. For $160 Center Ice is a great investment. That is what I do to watch the Sabres.

Sergei - I have no doubt that there were isolated incidents during the Sabres v Canes series. Especially game one that was on a Saturday which many of the Sabres fans drove down for and tailgated all day. But if the Canes could sell their tickets, doesn't this issue go away? And as far as most Canes fans won't go to the Buffalo game? Do you seriously call yourself a fan? I have been to just about every Sabres vs Canes game since they were in Greensboro and I have not "personally" witnessed any incident that would cause people to not attend a game. I have always heard of many "horrible acts of violence" from Canes fans and when I ask if they personally saw anything more then verbal banter and the answer is always no. They "heard about it". This is not little league. There is going to be talk between fans when so many opposing fans are in an arena. I have seen the same behavoir between fans at a NCS @ UNC game. It is just how it is when things get heated.

I also always hear about the "next series with Edmonton was night and day different". Of course it was. There were only a handful of Edmonton fans here! And what class of fan can afford the airline tickets from Edm and game tickets? Probably not many troublemakers in that crowd. And yes I was at the SC games (1+7) to witness it myself. Game 7 was awesome.

Destructive. How about the Canes fans destroying the 96 rock Cane Vic? I guess that was OK? (And yes in my mind it was - if that is what they wanted to happen. The Canes just won the cup!) But it was very clear they didn't want it destroyed.

I know this is a losing battle with the Canes fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary