U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2008, 08:37 PM

45 posts, read 131,825 times

Advertisements

We are relocating this summer to the area. Have it narrowed down to these two schools for our youngest who will be a junior.

I know they are both good but I have heard East may have more of a country club feel where Carrboro a little more artsy.

Is that a fair statement. Are there any other big differences anyone knows of ?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 09:01 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,207,493 times
I have a daughter who is a sophomore at ECHHS. It certainly doesn't have a country club feel there. It is as diverse as most high schools in the country. You are going to get the preppy kids, the "emo" kids, the goth kids, the nerds etc. just like you would in all the other schools.

Carrboro is so new that I doubt it has got a real identity yet. Carrboro the town is very artsy and new age but the kids who got to Carrboro High are from all over Chapel Hill and Carrboro so there is a mix there as well.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:58 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Would you say the quality of education would be close to equal? I read somewhere they we trying to take most of the AP classes out of Carrboro.

Thanks again

Old 10-12-2008, 11:52 AM

ECHHS has more kids so they have more course options. Mr Thaden, the principal at ECHHS, has been at the school for about 15 years and that also helps as continuity is good. Carrboro only opened last year and I believe they already have a different principal from last year. Once Carrboro has overcome the problems that are always associated with opening a new school then I expect they will be fairly similar.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:43 PM

Thanks a lot.

Its a big move for us.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florabama View Post
Thanks a lot.

Its a big move for us.
We went through the same thing last year. I had one rising Senior, one rising Freshman and a rising 6th grader. The Freshman gave us grief the year before we moved and deliberately didn't do well in school for a whole year before we moved and we were worried the trend would continue here in NC. Fortunately there is something about the school that makes her want to try her best and get good grades and she gets annoyed with herself if she gets less than an A.

It is scary for you now but everything will work out OK.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:17 PM

86 posts, read 210,558 times
Hi, I'm a senior at East (East Chapel Hill High School), and I have friends that go to both other schools in the district, so I can tell you a little bit about them.

Carrboro has had a lot of racial tension within the student body since it opened, just as a result of the neighborhoods it is districted to, I think. I think you can probably Google this and find it in the news, because it was a pretty big deal when it happened.
Also, because Carrboro is newer, it does not have as many AP offerings, nor does it have a very established performing arts department (there is no theatre in the building yet. One will be added in a few years, I believe), so if your daughter is interested in theatre, chorus, orchestra, etc., East would definitely be a better fit.
Carrboro's building is nicer (and more environmentally-friendly), mainly because it is newer, but compared to Chapel Hill High School, East's building is very sparkly and new too.

Although the school system is trying very hard to convince families otherwise, I believe that going to a school with "Chapel Hill" in its name will help in the college admissions process, also. Admissions committees recognize the name and associate it with the (very real) rigor of our school system. If your daughter will be applying to an out-of-state school, this could be a factor to consider.

I definitely wouldn't say East is a country club (maybe compared to the 70's, prison-like architecture of Chapel Hill High), so don't be misled, hahah. The school is a giant building with a Hill on which kids eat lunch and throw frisbees. It is two-story, and you can look down on the lower level from the balcony-like hallway of the upper level, creating a nice open space. However, it's still a school. Linoleum, creaky lockers, and gum stuck on the bottoms of desks are all present.

Both are great, rigorous schools and I'm sure she will enjoy her experience regardless of where she goes- these are all little nuances of difference only visible to someone within the community. They are very similar schools in comparison with the rest of America's high schools.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:21 AM

21 posts, read 66,802 times
Not sure if you have considered Chapel Hill High School, but we are located / slated for this high school.

Last edited by mm34b; 10-13-2008 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: Terms of Service edit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary