Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 05:51 PM

120 posts, read 498,374 times

Advertisements

Wow, 50's and 60's?! Soo looking forward to not having -15 windchill and 5 feet of snow to commute in every day!! And seeing the sun for longer than two months out of the year is AMAZING. There were some days in Buffalo over this summer where it was below 65 and I saw Hail and frost in July and August. I <3 North Carolina!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 06:05 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,000 times
OH come on people! I mean, sure it's warmer than Buffalo or the NE but winter in NC is not great. It's surely not shorts weather!! On rare occasion you'll get a warm day mid-winter, which is nice, but if you spend any amount of time outside in winter you will need thick sweaters/coat, hat, mittens. It's not bad but the exaggeration going on here is silly. You'd think it's FL or CA by the way people are describing it!

Old 10-16-2008, 06:26 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
I have not been through a winter here yet. I keep hearing how wonderful the winters are here. Do you agree?

I'm curious, during the months of November-March, do you get any nice sunny warm days, warm enough to go outside in your shorts and take a sunbath? Now I realize it's not going to be 85 or 90 degrees, but 65-70 with no clouds would be suffice for me. I like to "worship" the sun from time to time after having just spent the last 2 1/2 decades of my life under clouds in Seattle!
You are almost assured of a few days in the 70's through the winter.
It is usually a quick peak in temperature, in the afternoon.

November and March, it is almost a lock that you will see many balmy days.
Records show that 70's and better are not unusual in January, with record temps sprinkled among many different years.

You can see the average high temperature in January is 50 degrees, i.e., there are days that are cooler and days that are warmer and pulling the average up.
Again, the high temp is often a brief spike in the afternoon.

If you are from the North or upper Midwest, and tired of snow, you will find NC winter to be delightful.
If you need a parka at 50 degrees, it is time to go shopping.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:35 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,964 times
Seems to me the original poster wanted to know if we got days in the winter with highs in the 60's-70's. The answer is unequivacobly yes.

This year there were 3 days in January with a high of at least 70 and 6 with a high of 60 (the figure of 6 includes the 3 days above 70).
Feb2008 was 4 days of at least 70 and 17 (!!!) of at least 60. I mowed the grass in Jan and Feb this year.

In 2007 the Jan numbers were 4@70/13@60 and Feb was 2@70/7@60
In 2006 it was Jan 0@70/10@60 and Feb 1@70/8@60.

So, once again, there are plenty of warm pleasant days in the winter. Record highs in January and Feb are mostly in the 80s. And yes, theres always a bunch of a bunch of cold ones as well. See for yourself here...

2008 Raleigh-Durham Climate Plots - NWS Raleigh, NC

Old 10-16-2008, 10:38 AM

89 posts, read 306,392 times
Cowboy Im sooo glad you asked this q,

Old 10-16-2008, 10:40 AM

89 posts, read 306,392 times
Smile Yay

Cowboy Im sooo glad you asked this q, I was wondering also what the winters are like on a normal winter day. I know they can be drastically cold to warmer, like anywhere, but reading its like a southern cali winter, Im in heaven now I was worried Id have to join a gym with a pool just to get a few laps in but a few neighbors in my complex have said "yes there will be days you couldnt swim at all in the pool but many you can". YAYYYY

Old 10-16-2008, 11:28 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefrontgirl View Post
reading its like a southern cali winter, Im in heaven now I was worried Id have to join a gym with a pool just to get a few laps in but a few neighbors in my complex have said "yes there will be days you couldnt swim at all in the pool but many you can". YAYYYY
OMG you are in for a surprise!!! I have lived in CA and it is NOT like a S. CA winter!! The mere suggestion is hilarious!! It is SO much colder than that and if you plan on swimming laps in winter you'd better go back to your original plan of joining an indoor pool.

What is it with people trying to make winter sound so much warmer than it is? It's not terrible with the truth, but tell the OP the truth: This is not S.CA and swimming outside in winter here would S*&^!!!

Old 10-16-2008, 11:49 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times
When we visited the area for the very first time last January - it was cold! 23-26 degrees at night, but it went into the high 50s during the day. Very pleasant daytime weather as compared to New England BUT, definitely not for sunbathing/swimming laps. All in all, I'm really looking forward to the warmer winter temps!

Old 10-16-2008, 12:07 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
I highly doubt anyone is going to be swimming laps outdoors in the winter (unless you moved here from the arctic circle), even when it does get up to 75 or so (which DOES usually happen several times a month in the winter). But still, the water would be absolutley FREEZING and I don't even know of any outdoor pools that stay open for swimming in the winter. Even when it goes get into the 70's, the sun is warm if you're sitting directly in it, but there is still a winter chill in the air, it's not quite the same as 75 degrees in the spring.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:18 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,133 times
You also can't underestimate the effect of a blue sky on how a winter day feels.

A January day at 50 degrees with a cloudless bright blue sky is a very good day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary