Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 08:22 AM

271 posts, read 1,213,584 times

Advertisements

Townhomes are generally less expensive than single family homes and there area several really nice 3 bedrooms in the 160-180,000's dollar range in the suburban areas that are close to some of the things you like like chain restaurants, Target, home depot. etc.. check out www.inest.com and also www.newhomeguide.com and research the Raleigh area I recommend the towns of Holly Springs, Wake Forest, Apex. In fact there is a couple new townhome developments in Apex by my builder well within your price range and of very high quality. (PM Me and I can tell you all about it, since I closed on my home in October)

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 11:34 AM

823 posts, read 3,923,062 times
If it were me, I'd try to decided whether I wanted to move to NC or not, regardless of the home. I strongly suggest a visit. If I did want to move, then I would negotiate with my employer about housing. I'd argue, with supporting data (median home prices, cost of living comparisons, etc.) for either a higher salary or a lump sum for a percentage of the difference in housing cost (as well as moving costs). Otherwise, Indiana might be better for you.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:47 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
I'm just curious... why would folks recommend that an early-40's single individual with no children, who will be working inside RTP at a salary in the low 40's, live anywhere like Holly Springs, Wendell, Clayton? The extra cost of gas for commuting would be astronomical. I know people who live in Clayton and whose job prospects are in the 30k-40k range who won't consider Durham/RTP/Chapel Hill for jobs because of the cost of the commute.

Yes, I'm a fan of Durham (my nickname gives it away... d'oh!), but if someone had posted the exact same situation for a job in Wake Forest... or Smithfield... or Burlington, I would have suggested living as close as possible to the job and avoiding the long car commute. Heck, even Apex is going to be about 18-30 miles round trip, each day, for the commute.

In this case, Durham might be the right choice for this particular situation (if, as someone else pointed out, she's really ready and interested in making the change -- good point!), but I would never presume the city I love is the right choice for every living situation.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:49 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,254 times
^ Sometimes you make so much sense it scares people around here I bet. LOL

The ironic thing is many of the new developments in Holly Springs, Wendell and Clayton are actually more pricey than Durham even. Go figure.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:06 PM

579 posts, read 2,863,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
I'm just curious... why would folks recommend that an early-40's single individual with no children, who will be working inside RTP at a salary in the low 40's, live anywhere like Holly Springs, Wendell, Clayton? The extra cost of gas for commuting would be astronomical.
Unfortunately, not everyone can afford to live so close to where they work. Is it so strange that someone would commute a long distance to RTP from those areas in order to be able to afford a home they love? Would Durham (which was also suggested) be the best option of all? Maybe, maybe not. That is something she would have to decide for herself. The gas would not be "astronomical" but higher, yes. I know a lot of people in those areas that make the commute because that's just what some people have to do for affordable housing.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:17 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raccemup View Post
Unfortunately, not everyone can afford to live so close to where they work. Is it so strange that someone would commute a long distance to RTP from those areas in order to be able to afford a home they love? Would Durham (which was also suggested) be the best option of all? Maybe, maybe not. That is something she would have to decide for herself. The gas would not be "astronomical" but higher, yes. I know a lot of people in those areas that make the commute because that's just what some people have to do for affordable housing.
While I agree that not everyone can afford to live close to work (I am one of those people), I think in this case it sounds like there are some very affordable townhomes in Durham that would provide a decent commute to a job in RTP while meeting the price range stated in the original post. Although Wendell, Clayton, Knightdale, and Holly Springs are all nice places to live and also offer housing that fits this price range, living in those areas would most likely result in a considerable increase in commute time. Like any situation, it all comes down to personal preference.

One just needs to ask themselves if quality of life to them means a larger home even though it is further away from work resulting in a longer commute and more money spent on gas, or is quality of life a smaller place that is closer to work with shorter commute and less money on gas? Personally I could not imagine living in Knightdale or Wendell and Working in RTP. The commute to RTP would be much longer than that from Durham and probably just get worse over time as more areas develop between those eastern suburbs and RTP.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:10 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,188 times
Thumbs up personal choice

after reading this post, I would have to say, you can't have it all...especially if you're working with one salary. I know, because I am in the same situation. I am 10yrs younger at 33, single professional, no kids, I am in contract on a new construction home in Knightdale, I work in RTP, I am fine with the decision I made, my only trade off was the commute...I considered a townhouse closer to rtp in all the areas you mention, but my personal choice was to own a private single family home with a yard, grass, space etc...I commutted 45 minutes one way on long island to work and rented...so...if I have to do it here, I am fine with that...at least here I will more to show for at the end of the day/week/year...etc...instead of renting...this isn't an attack on renters, I did it for many years...I am not sure why someone said that his price range would be "shoddy" construction. I know there are alot of reputable builders in his price range, (which actually was my price range) when shopping around for a home/townhome. I know I am not buying "shoddy" construction because I am spending between 150k - 160k...I feel confident in the decision I made. I feel you can't have it all...there has to be trade offs...unless you are making 100k + a year, then you don't have to worry about things like this...but for now...with my salary, which is a decent one...I would rather commute from knightdale and own, then say rent in the area closer to work, or buy something that would not fit my needs, just to say I bought/live 5 minutes from RTP... I think you will definitely be able to make it on 43,000 and you will find a home/townhome in your price range...good luck

Old 02-15-2007, 05:35 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
While I agree that not everyone can afford to live close to work (I am one of those people), I think in this case it sounds like there are some very affordable townhomes in Durham that would provide a decent commute to a job in RTP while meeting the price range stated in the original post. Although Wendell, Clayton, Knightdale, and Holly Springs are all nice places to live and also offer housing that fits this price range, living in those areas would most likely result in a considerable increase in commute time. Like any situation, it all comes down to personal preference.

One just needs to ask themselves if quality of life to them means a larger home even though it is further away from work resulting in a longer commute and more money spent on gas, or is quality of life a smaller place that is closer to work with shorter commute and less money on gas? Personally I could not imagine living in Knightdale or Wendell and Working in RTP. The commute to RTP would be much longer than that from Durham and probably just get worse over time as more areas develop between those eastern suburbs and RTP.
Thanks, North_Raleigh_Guy -- I was going to post this very thing, you beat me to it. :-)

Raceemup, I completely agree and understand, and for someone who's going to work in RTP and is looking for (say) a larger lot, or a larger home, they may not find Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary affordable and may want to look further out in other communities. And that's okay by me! :-) I was saying that, for this particular situation (someone looking for a townhouse in the low-mid $100s), she could find that kind of affordable housing in southern Durham without having the high gas costs of a long commute. So, I think we're actually saying the same thing!

Old 02-16-2007, 07:43 AM

579 posts, read 2,863,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
. So, I think we're actually saying the same thing!
I think so because I do agree with you about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary