Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 08:20 AM

13 posts, read 25,376 times

Advertisements

First off, I would like to say how helpful this forum has been in our search to relocate to North Carolina. All the opinions have been very helpful and I hope some of you can help with some of our concerns. We are looking to move to the Clayton area from Ohio within the next 6-8 months, I am a teacher/coach (hs football), my wife is a critical care nurse manager with 2 children (9 and 12). Any info on job openings in these areas would be greatly appreciated, as this would help us to determine areas for us to look to live.

I will be in the area between Christmas and New Year's to look at perspective places to live and get a feel of the area. We are not interested in development living we would prefer something with an acre or two of land. Any thoughts on where to look that is accesible to the highways would help? Activities for the children are very important, is there much to do for the kids, are there local baseball/softball/football leagues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 09:19 AM

615 posts, read 1,503,428 times
A job for you should be no problem. I am a teacher in Johnston County(Clayton area) and had 3 job offers immediatly....after trying for years in NJ.(go to Johnston County, NC School-website on the internet for job openings)
Not sure about the nursing field but they are building a HUGE medical center in Clayton right now, so a job for your wife should not be a problem either.

Plenty of houses for sale with acreage around here...Johnston county is about 1/2 rural and 1/2 residential developments...so that should not be a problem either. You should be able to find something very nice(3-4 BR, fairly new etc.) for around $250,000. Its very kid-oriented around here, so your kids will keep super-busy. Tons of leagues/city programs for baseball, basketball, soccer, gymnastics, karate, cub-scouts etc. ALso many churches/church-programs for youths. All are very family-oriented. OUr daughter has taken cooking classes locally also.

We love it here and have never looked back. GOOD LUCK! I know many teachers from Ohio that have moved here recently and love it too.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:35 AM

Thank you, I will check out the schools website. How are the administrations do they support and back you as a teacher/coach? Only ask because of past experiences with the "good ol' boy network" in current position. How are the schools in Johnston County? From what I've read they sound good, I'm hoping the kids can have smooth transition in learning? Anywhere to check on curriculum at local schools, just want to see where they'll fit in with things. They have done pretty well up to this point with academics and athletics but kind of uneasy about the new environment. Also very glad to hear about all the children's programs that are available in the area.

Not sure about the nursing field but they are building a HUGE medical center in Clayton right now, so a job for your wife should not be a problem either.Do you know if it's going to be a hospital or just medical offices and space?

Good to hear that the area is 1/2 & 1/2 sounds like a great mix. What are thoughts on renting before buying because of how much the area is growing? Our range is more $125-160 so we'll have to see what we can get into, have seen some nice places online within that range.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:49 PM

233 posts, read 860,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye40 View Post
Do you know if it's going to be a hospital or just medical offices and space?
This is just through the woods in my backyard.....literally! Its going to be affiliated with Johnston Memorial Hospital in Smithfield. (which most locals don't like and will refer to as Johnston Memorial hell-hole)

It is 2 buildings under construction right now. We went to one of the planning meetings when we had concern about how far back onto the property they would be developing since it does back up to my property line. From what I recall, they said it is supposed to be an ER, radiology, day surgeries, and will accomodate 48 beds for patients not requiring more than a 48 hr. stay. There will also be a medical office building for doctors offices. Its in an area that they are looking to develop heavily over the next few years. It is almost at the intersection of Hwy 42, and the newly opened 70 Bypass.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:24 AM

Thanks for info on new medical center. Is there something wrong with Johnston Memorial Hospital? Why don't locals like JMH?

How do people feel about Johnston county schools, in general pros and cons? How is it to work for Johnston County Schools? I'm a PE teacher and football coach, any advice on where to look to coach? How is hs football in the clayton area?

Old 11-03-2008, 02:17 PM

47 posts, read 167,036 times
Another thought on employment for your wife, I am an RN and work at WakeMed Raleigh. It is about a 15-20 minute commute depending on the time of day. You can see current job openings at www.wakemed.com. I have worked there 3 months and love it. Good luck with your move!

Old 11-03-2008, 03:39 PM

I will have her look into Wakemed, thank you. What about thoughts on Duke Medical Center, how far of a commute is it from Clayton? Are there any other hospitals within a decent commute?

Are there any plans to build more schools with the growth the area is seeing these days?

Old 11-03-2008, 03:46 PM

615 posts, read 1,503,428 times
Johnston County gets great rating for schools. That is a big reason we moved here...because of the high ratings of Clayton area schools. Greatschools.com is where we got our info. Most schools in Clayton got a rating of 8+(out of 10) for parent satisfaction, quality of teachers, test-scores, safety etc. To compare..my hometown in NJ got a rating of 2 as far as the local elem. and middle schools. Our daughter is 11 and she had no problem at all with the transition when we moved. Its such a growing area that 1/4 of her class was "new" too. A new elem./middle school is built every 2-3 years because of how fast the area is growing. The schools are VERY modern and nicely laid out.

Principal support for teachers all depends on the school(just like anywhere else). Most of the time, you can get a "feel" for that in your interview.

I HIGHLY recommend renting for 6 months before you buy. We did and it gave us time to look for the right house to buy and get a feel for the area.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 11-03-2008, 08:27 PM

233 posts, read 860,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye40 View Post
I will have her look into Wakemed, thank you. What about thoughts on Duke Medical Center, how far of a commute is it from Clayton? Are there any other hospitals within a decent commute?

Are there any plans to build more schools with the growth the area is seeing these days?
There is a plan to build another h.s. in the next few years in the Cleveland area of Clayton, off of 1010 Hwy, near Polenta & Indian Spring Rd.

Duke could be a good 35-40 minutes with no traffic on I-40, in traffic, it could be well over an hour. Duke has taken over a facility on Wake Forest Rd. in Raleigh that used to be Raleigh Community Hospital. That would be a closer commute than going to Duke in Durham.

Rex is a very nice hospital, they are on Lake Boone Trail in Raleigh.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:21 PM

Great to hear, looking forward to coming down and see for myself. How far is Rex from clayton?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary