Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 05:18 PM

9 posts, read 32,237 times

Advertisements

I feel like I have searched so many different listings and gone to so many different neighborhoods and was hoping to get some help and opinions.
My husband and I are looking to buy in the 180K to 230K range. We like Holly Glen in Holly Springs the best so far. We liked the Holly Springs area, the lots are more spread out than a lot of other places we have seen in this price range, and it is a 20 minute commute to our work, etc.
The problem is my sister lives in North NORTH Raleigh (around Mitchell Mill Rd).

I do not want to buy a house an hour away from her in Holly Springs, but we also do not want to have the commute down Capital Blvd (everyone has told us it gets backed up and we have hated the traffic when we visit her).

Is there a neighborhood a little closer or that has a happier commute? Something even closer than Durant Trails, that is still in our price range?

After all my looking it seems I may have to choose to live in her area which we do not prefer or choose a neighborhood we like and drive forever to see her, which may be two or three times a week!

Some other things we are hoping for is a garage, a well-maintained neighborhood, and sidewalks.

I really appreciate any comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 06:13 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGtoRaleigh View Post
I feel like I have searched so many different listings and gone to so many different neighborhoods and was hoping to get some help and opinions.
My husband and I are looking to buy in the 180K to 230K range. We like Holly Glen in Holly Springs the best so far. We liked the Holly Springs area, the lots are more spread out than a lot of other places we have seen in this price range, and it is a 20 minute commute to our work, etc.
The problem is my sister lives in North NORTH Raleigh (around Mitchell Mill Rd).

I do not want to buy a house an hour away from her in Holly Springs, but we also do not want to have the commute down Capital Blvd (everyone has told us it gets backed up and we have hated the traffic when we visit her).

Is there a neighborhood a little closer or that has a happier commute? Something even closer than Durant Trails, that is still in our price range?

After all my looking it seems I may have to choose to live in her area which we do not prefer or choose a neighborhood we like and drive forever to see her, which may be two or three times a week!

Some other things we are hoping for is a garage, a well-maintained neighborhood, and sidewalks.

I really appreciate any comments!
Where is it you need to commute to? It is hard to be north of Durant and closer to Mitchell Mill Road and not end up driving down Capital at some point. But it might be possible depending on where you need to go. Can you give a little more detail on where in the Triangle you need to commute to everyday?

Old 10-17-2008, 11:07 AM

185 posts, read 575,727 times
I drive up and down Capital for my job maybe 6-7 times a day and I honestly do not find it that bad

Old 10-22-2008, 05:24 PM

My husband works around cary crossroads and I will be working off of tryon road about 12 minutes from him.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:28 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
You should really consider Apex. It's still somewhat "small town" like Holly Springs, but closer to N Raleigh (about 35-40 minutes as opposed to almost an hour from HS), has more of the shopping/dining ammenities of suburbia, close to Crossroads and Tryon Road (Highway 64, which turns into Tryon, spans the whole town west to east). And you DEFINITLEY wouldn't need to drive on Crapital Blvd on a daily basis! Some neighborhoods in your price range you might be interested would be Homestead Heights, Hollands Crossing, Creekside Commons, possibly Carriage Downs.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:40 PM

16 posts, read 41,149 times
Sorry GGtoRaleigh, I have just worked out this site so i won't interrupt your thread again...:-)

Old 10-23-2008, 04:23 AM

945 posts, read 1,972,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGtoRaleigh View Post
we also do not want to have the commute down Capital Blvd (everyone has told us it gets backed up and we have hated the traffic when we visit her).
You are wise to stay away from Capital Blvd. I have never seen such bad traffic in my life. There are zillions of cars packed bumper to bumper, fighting through endless lights. It is a complete nightmare.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:50 AM

What is creekside commons like? Are there sidewalks etc? We don't really need a backyard/large lot... and these look like they have a nice floorplan and possibly adequate parking. I appreciate the neighborhood suggestions!

Old 10-27-2008, 11:56 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
creekside commons have TINY lots...no yard at all really, but if that isn't important to you then it's probably a great buy. They were just starting construction on them when we left Apex last summer. I do believe there are sidewalks and a large courtyard with a pond.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:38 AM

123 posts, read 611,599 times
I have a friend who lives in the Willow lake neighborhood around the Mitchell mill road area. No HOA dues, very safe, lots of police live in the neighborhood from what I see. I really do think some of the people there like to compete on who has the nicest lawn and garden. There are some homes for sale in that neighborhood in your price range and it is close but not too close to 540. Most of the homes do have garages and there are sidewalks as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary