Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 09:55 AM

102 posts, read 271,217 times

Advertisements

No gated communities in Cary? I wonder why? We are also considering Scottsdale, AZ and that seems to be all that they are building. How about Homeowner Associations? We really want to look at tight knit communities where neighbors are actually friends. Cary's housing definitely seems to fluctuate depending on location. Ive seen newer houses in the 4,000 sq ft range for $600K and others starting at over $1.5 Million for 5,000 sq ft. We really want a smaller home 2800-3000 sq ft, but we want it to be constructed with high end materials (well known builder) and have high-end kitchen and baths (granite counters, SS applainces, ceramic/marble and real wood flooring. Thats why we figure even a smaller house would run us around 600K. There doent seem to be much of that out there that's new. Maybe a slightly older house that been nicely updated would be a better choice.

Also, besides the house, we want a neigborhood with excellant schools for our daughter. That is a priority.

Thanks, AL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 10:07 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
You might do well to skip the granite and stainless steel since these two bad ideas are now fading in popularity.

Gated communities are not necessary for safety in Cary and not allowed as they may impede fire equipment, paramedics, police, on emergency calls. We do have gated communities in Raleigh.
Scottsdale needs them because of a high crime rate.

You can find what you are looking for here, just will have to work a little to find it.
HOA's? We have them in abundance.
They are good for creating two things:
Friends and enemies.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:13 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgranda View Post
No gated communities in Cary? I wonder why? We are also considering Scottsdale, AZ and that seems to be all that they are building. How about Homeowner Associations? We really want to look at tight knit communities where neighbors are actually friends. Cary's housing definitely seems to fluctuate depending on location. Ive seen newer houses in the 4,000 sq ft range for $600K and others starting at over $1.5 Million for 5,000 sq ft. We really want a smaller home 2800-3000 sq ft, but we want it to be constructed with high end materials (well known builder) and have high-end kitchen and baths (granite counters, SS applainces, ceramic/marble and real wood flooring. Thats why we figure even a smaller house would run us around 600K. There doent seem to be much of that out there that's new. Maybe a slightly older house that been nicely updated would be a better choice.

Also, besides the house, we want a neigborhood with excellant schools for our daughter. That is a priority.

Thanks, AL
Almost all of the schools in Wake County are going to be excellent....remember here our kids are assigned schools by economic levels...so even if you live in a gated community (you will find a few in North Raleigh and Wake Forest more so then Cary, but as others have pointed out, most of the entire area, and certainly Cary, is very safe) your kids will be attending school with a wide variety of students.

As for tight knit communities…well….that is going to be hit or miss, gated or not. You will have to look into each neighborhood individually….some are close knit, while others are more independent. However, if you want a social life, there are always opportunities to develop one.

Last edited by Desdemona123; 02-16-2007 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: **edited to fix a typo**

Old 02-16-2007, 11:43 AM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You might do well to skip the granite and stainless steel since these two bad ideas are now fading in popularity.
Mike - I gotta ask. What are you suggesting instead? I agree the granite/stainless combo will look dated down the road - but what countertop appliance combo doesn't after a while? When my wife and I looked at houses - we didn't see much of an alternative.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:57 AM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,077 times
Quote:
We really want a smaller home 2800-3000 sq ft, but we want it to be constructed with high end materials (well known builder) and have high-end kitchen and baths (granite counters, SS applainces, ceramic/marble and real wood flooring. Thats why we figure even a smaller house would run us around 600K. There doent seem to be much of that out there that's new. Maybe a slightly older house that been nicely updated would be a better choice.
My personnel opinion is you'll have a hard time finding what you describe unless you build from scratch or catch a house just coming out of the ground. You might luck out and get a resale that has the updates you want - but the odds are against you.

The builders build houses with a set square footage / features / price because they know what the market demands. The reason you're not finding small houses with really high end features is because the market segment demanding it is very small.

My wife and I found ourselves in a similar situation to what you're describing. We found none of the national builders could meet our needs. Their upgrades weren’t upgrades enough. Most refused to use anything but pre-finished hardwood flooring (which was a deal breaker for us). Another regional builder refused to use cabinets that weren’t from his sister company (and they were all cheap stapled together cabinets).

So we turned to local custom builders. And I'm quite confident you can get the home you are looking for from one of these guys. They'll work with you and put the most high-end stuff you want in it. But in the end when it comes time to sell and your house is 2800 sqft and costs 600k and your neighbor's is 3700 sqft and 600k - you're betting that you'll be able to find a buyer that appreciates your high-end features more than the additional space. That's a tough sell. If it wasn’t a tough sell - all the builder inventory homes would be built that way.

Old 02-16-2007, 01:09 PM

653 posts, read 2,986,218 times
You can definitely find it, and there are several areas you'll probably want to explore before you decide. Look in Cary and North Raleigh to start, keeping you close to the amenities of the city, but still in a safe neighborhood with great schools. You can expand you search from there to Apex, Holly Springs, Wake Forest... there are a lot of options, depending how far you're willing to drive to get to work or downtown.

There are some fabulous local custom builders that will do exactly what you're looking for. I was just showing several in the Wake Forest area last week in the 500s and 600s, and there were some spec homes that might meet your needs if you don't have time to build.

You can also find some great resale opportunities, homes built within the last 5 years. I showed a couple that were full of top-quality upgrades, but due to the owners being relocated, they were barely lived in.

Have you been here for a look around yet? That's really the best way to decide what part of the Triangle would best suit your family.

To help you narrow down your choices, search and compare the schools to get a feel for where you want to be. And yes, some folks will warn you that schools may be reassigned as the area copes with growth, but it's a starting point for you. www.wcpss.net is the Wake County School System site, and you can check state test scores at www.ncreportcards.com. To compare different schools side by side, check out greatschools.net. Good luck!

Old 02-16-2007, 01:52 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bta View Post
Mike - I gotta ask. What are you suggesting instead? I agree the granite/stainless combo will look dated down the road - but what countertop appliance combo doesn't after a while? When my wife and I looked at houses - we didn't see much of an alternative.
Painted appliances will take back the market. Personally I like white on white appliances, but then I prefer a kitchen that is light and airy, where so many folks prefer dark. But I think the white appliance will always be with us. And I hear from many people that they appreciate the ease of keeping painted appliances clean.

For counters I would likely take quartz or even Corian hands down over granite. I like the molded-in sink in Corian vs. the bacteria spawner of the underslung sink.
Don't even get me started on those nasty vessel bath vanities. Thank goodness the designers are starting to phase them out. Although it makes me wonder what they can design that will be even more poorly conceived.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:32 PM

647 posts, read 3,340,159 times
Quote:

Thanks, AL
You will find all those options in Scottsdale. TW Lewis comes to mind - twlewis.com - many of those features come standard in TWL homes. They're a high end builder. They've very nice, and hold up very well. I have friends who live in TWL homes that area 5 or 6 yrs old and they still look brand new. The only problem is that they're not building in Scottsdale right now, but they have communities in other suburbs you might check. Toll Brothers builds here in AZ too, and they tend to be on the higher end.

I live in AZ now, and many high-end homes are built in gated communities. My personal opinion, having lived in one, is that they're over rated as a security measure, in that anyone can follow behind a car if they want to go in. It's not hard. Yes, they'll keep some of the no-gooders out, but not all. If you're that concerned about security, I'd suggest going with a gated and guard-house community. They're building one now in Gilbert which will be very nice, though if you're max is 600K, it'll be out of your range. Your price range won't get you as much in Scottsdale as it will in other suburbs of Phoenix, or in Cary either - Scottsdale is much more expensive. Likewise, in Scottsdale, in a 600K house, you'll be living on the cheaper end of the housing, among people in million+ dollar homes, many with attitudes to go along with their mansions and Escalades. If that's your scene, then you won't have any problems. I just wanted to caution you that Cary is NOTHING like Scottsdale - if you like one, you may not like the other.

If you like Cary but want AZ, I'd suggest looking into Chandler or Gilbert. When we visited Cary last month, I felt like they'd picked Chandler up and dropped it into NC. They're very similar. But if you like everything that Scottsdale has to offer - gated communities, million dollar homes, etc., Cary probably won't be for you.

Also, re: schools - many of Cary's schools are excellent. I haven't checked Scottsdale's schools (go to greatschools.com to check), but I do know that Chandler and Gilbert schools get good ratings overall.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:37 PM

647 posts, read 3,340,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
vessel bath vanities. Thank goodness the designers are starting to phase them out. Although it makes me wonder what they can design that will be even more poorly conceived.
What is a vessel bath vanity?

Also, I'm with you - I prefer corian to granite. We had corian in our last house and granite in this house and I don't get why so many people prefer granite. The shinyness makes it so hard to look clean - it always looks smudgy to me.

As for appliances - we've had them all - beige, black and now stainless. I love the look of stainless, but it's definitely a pain to keep smudge-free. But black shows smudges too, and white/beige show little PB&J handprints. So you can't really win either way.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:45 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
What is a vessel bath vanity?
Here is a Pic of What I believe is a Vessel Bath Vanity:

No offense to anyone who has something like this, but I agree with Mike J. I am not a big fan of them and they seem a bit "trendy" for my taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary