Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 09:05 AM

102 posts, read 271,712 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife, child and I are considering relocating from Westchester, NY to Cary in a couple of years. We are looking for a family oriented neighborhood (middle-aged) with well-built, newer homes, free from congestion, very low crime and with excellent schools. Is there any particular zip code (s) we should be looking at?

Thanks for any insight, AL

Last edited by ajgranda; 02-15-2007 at 10:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 09:10 AM

Also our price range would be around $600K for a 3-4 bed, 2.5 bath, 3,000 sq ft and about .25acre.

Thanks

Old 02-15-2007, 09:11 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,306,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgranda View Post
Hi,

My wife, child and I are considering relocating from Westchester, NY to Cary in a couple of years. We are looking for a family oriented neighborhood (middle-aged) with well-built, newer homes, free from congestion, very low crime and with excellant schools. Is there any particular zip code (s) we should be looking at?

Thanks for any insight, AL
For what it's worth, with the popularity of the entire triangle area I don't think anything will meet your criteria of free from congestion. Traffic isn't as bad in the triangle as other major metro areas, but we do have congestion and pockets of bad traffic areas, especially if you plan to work in the research triangle park. Also, you will want to be careful in limiting your search to be within certain zip codes. One zip code can cover a wide range of different urban and rural areas here in the triangle so they aren't much help at narrowing the search. I'm sure with your price range there are plenty of great options, I'm sure soemone more familiar with Cary will chime in on areas for you to consider. Good Luck!

Old 02-15-2007, 09:21 AM

When I mentioned free from congestion I meant we want an area that has more of a suburban feel to it. We dont want to be near major shopping malls, office buildings, busy roadways. A 15-20 minute commute from these things would be alright.

Thanks

Old 02-15-2007, 09:24 AM

330 posts, read 1,977,919 times
Default Traffic & Schools!

And unfortunately the traffic that we will see in the future for Raleigh metro will be horrible due to the incredible growth! It happened here in Vegas , public schools are very overcrowded and the traffic is getting worse. And the roads cant keep up with the growth pace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
For what it's worth, with the popularity of the entire triangle area I don't think anything will meet your criteria of free from congestion. Traffic isn't as bad in the triangle as other major metro areas, but we do have congestion and pockets of bad traffic areas, especially if you plan to work in the research triangle park. Also, you will want to be careful in limiting your search to be within certain zip codes. One zip code can cover a wide range of different urban and rural areas here in the triangle so they aren't much help at narrowing the search. I'm sure with your price range there are plenty of great options, I'm sure soemone more familiar with Cary will chime in on areas for you to consider. Good Luck!

Old 02-15-2007, 10:10 AM

647 posts, read 3,342,660 times
Quote:
Also our price range would be around $600K for a 3-4 bed, 2.5 bath, 3,000 sq ft and about .25acre.

Thanks
In your price range, you'll have a tremendous variety to chose from. Preston Woods Golf Course area is very nice. There are lots of others.

Your criteria can be met in most of the developments in Cary, based on what I saw when we visited the area last month. Compared to anywhere north of NoVa, Cary isn't congested at all, though I imagine that it'll be different 10 yrs from now.

Anyway, I think you'll be fine in almost any neighborhood in Cary, especially in your price range.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:22 PM

43,356 posts, read 77,229,425 times
Quick MLS search shows 66 homes on the market from $550,000-$600,000 with .23 acre lot or more, 3+ bedrooms, built since 2000.
At that price point, you will not find a 3 bedroom home. You will find 4, 5 or even 6 bedrooms.
3164-4800+ Square feet.

Zip codes 27513, 27519, 27502, 27560, 27540, 27523, 27603.
Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, Morrisville, Raleigh.
Many good neighborhoods, in and outside Cary.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:51 AM

Thanks for the replies. How about nice gated communities in the Cary area? Community pool, club house etc. Do they exist? Not to sound snobish, but we are looking for an upper middle class neighborhood.

Thanks, AL

Old 02-16-2007, 09:26 AM
bta

284 posts, read 1,886,084 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. How about nice gated communities in the Cary area? Community pool, club house etc. Do they exist? Not to sound snobish, but we are looking for an upper middle class neighborhood.

Thanks, AL
I don't think you'll have a problem finding upper middle class neighborhoods in Cary. But you will have trouble finding gated communities - Cary doesn't allow them.

I'm pretty sure Carrboro doesn't allow them either. Others on this board can comment on gated communities in other parts of the Triangle.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:50 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,800,760 times
Quote:

Thanks, AL
I don't live in Cary, but was there last week visiting my brother. I had to laugh at your gated community request, as I assume you would want that for safety issues? If so, what you need to know about Cary is how unbelievably safe the whole place is! We went off to church Sunday morning and when we got back I discovered they had not even locked their front door while we were gone! That just blew me away, as I would never be comfortable leaving my house open like that in Charlotte. Anyway, once you visit I think you will see that the vast majority of new neighborhoods have the kind of home you described above and all have nice ammenities also, without the need for gates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary