Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 05:45 PM

64 posts, read 376,161 times

Advertisements

I have a feeder off the deck and I only use Sunflower Hearts or Chips. They are shelled so there is no mess on the deck or ground. We get loads of birds and they love it. I am in North Raleigh off Falls of Neuse Road. I was buying my Wild Bird food at Ace for the last year but now the Sunflower Hearts have gone through the roof cost wise. I used to get seed at a Grain and Feed store up North and their prices were great. Wild Birds Unlimited is good but they are even more expensive than Ace. Any suggestions on where to find reasonable prices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 05:55 PM

945 posts, read 1,971,249 times
Ace is the place.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:12 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Sunflower chips is gourmet bird food. I buy mine from Wild Bird U. I bought a 20 lb. bag last week for $34.95 Hopefully someone will know of a better source.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:10 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Sunflower chips is gourmet bird food. I buy mine from Wild Bird U. I bought a 20 lb. bag last week for $34.95 Hopefully someone will know of a better source.
I swear by Wild Birds U also. I shop at the one on 70 in Clayton. Birds go crazy over their gourmet food. Quality food makes such a difference it is amazing.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:18 PM

673 posts, read 2,266,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I swear by Wild Birds U also. I shop at the one on 70 in Clayton. Birds go crazy over their gourmet food. Quality food makes such a difference it is amazing.
Another fan of the Wild Birds Unlimited bird food. After using the cheaper stuff for years, I am AMAZED at the difference in the quantity and variety of birds I get now...

WBU also has the best bird suet. The birds now DEVOUR the suet cakes that I hang out in the back yard.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:23 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,305,726 times
I use safflower seed exclusively - the squirrels don't like it, so they leave it alone.

I've seen sunflower chips at Home Depot. They sell Wagner's bird seed in many varieties, and it's good quality. The prices are excellent, though I don't know how much the sunflower chips go for. However, they're a LOT cheaper for nyjer thistle, which tends to be pretty expensive.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:41 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
I've been an avid fan of birds for years now. I'm not the type to go out just to watch birds but I do enjoy seeing them on my 3 feeders I have setup in the backyard. When I first started feeding the birds I used the seed available from Walmart, H.D., Lowe's, etc. When I bought the new feeder system from Wild Birds Unlimited they also talked me into overpaying for seed since it doesn't have extra fill in it which is actually added weight which means less feed. I tried it for a month. I noticed no increase in bird activity because of the "gourmet" food. I switched back to buying the seed from Walmart because it's half the price. I'm sure it's just due to the time of year the switch happened but I actually noticed an increase in birds. I have 3 feeders. One is sunflower seed, a second is wild bird mixed seed, and the third is safflour seed for the finchs. I'm having to fill the sunflower seed feeder every 2 days!! The other two I'm having to fill every 2 weeks. My recommendation is to save the money, especially in today's economy, and buy the cheap stuff. This way you can still enjoy the hobby without having to give it up all together.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:12 PM

677 posts, read 1,902,760 times
I buy black oil seed and sunflower hearts at Family Home & Garden in Raleigh or Apex. I'm not sure how the price compares to WBU, but it is good quality seed. I buy hot pepper suet cakes online by the case. That's one thing the squirrels will leave alone.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:07 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
25 lb bag sunflower chips for $39.99. It was about $21.99 two years ago.
Another local store has 20 lb bag for $31.99 (same unit price). Everyone else is much higher.
I haven't found a cheap place online for seeds. The shipping costs are also quite high.

Birds like sunflower, millet, and peanuts.
Orioles prefer the peanuts.
Bluejays prefer the in-shell peanuts. They often come accompanied with their crow friends and starlings.
Squirrels get the in-shell nuts this time of year. Hazelnuts, pecans, walnuts, almonds, etc.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:58 AM

86 posts, read 220,707 times
There's a great bird store in Chapel Hill North shopping center... Don't remember what it's called.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary