Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 04:54 PM

3 posts, read 16,956 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Has anyone on the fourm managed to get the MMR vaccine administered as separate shots? We have the prescriptions from our GP (Doctors), but actually getting them individually (as opposed to packs of 10) may be troublesome.

I am not asking for anyone's opinion on the pro's and con's of MMR, simply if other parents have actually managed to have MMR administered individually here in the triangle.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 06:21 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,503,034 times
I have a friend who tried just about everything to get them separately and finally came to the conclusion that the only way to get them separately would be to fly to Canada, where they are readily available in that form. She ended up waiting an extra year and then giving the combined shot here in the US after an exhausting effort to find them separately.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:41 PM

488 posts, read 1,554,509 times
I ordered them a while back from Hopewell pharmacy.

Hopewell Pharmacy & Compounding Center 1 West Broad Street
Hopewell, NJ 08525
Ph: 1-800-792-6670
FX: 1-800-417-3864

You will need to have your pediatrician call in a prescription or mailor faxed it also include the childs name and parents phone number. They then call you for for profile, billing and shipping information. The prescriptions are then sent to either your home or the doctors office (talk to your doctor on their preference) where they are kept in the refrigerator until the appointment. (They have an expiration of at least one year on them.) The cost is $39 for the measles and rubella and $49 for the mumps, plus overnight cold s&h which is a minimum of $25.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:34 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeordieBoy View Post
Hi,

Has anyone on the fourm managed to get the MMR vaccine administered as separate shots? We have the prescriptions from our GP (Doctors), but actually getting them individually (as opposed to packs of 10) may be troublesome.

I am not asking for anyone's opinion on the pro's and con's of MMR, simply if other parents have actually managed to have MMR administered individually here in the triangle.

Thanks in advance.
Maybe check with trianglemommies as well for sugestions. A friend of mine requested this in another city, and she went through her local hospital pharamcy to get it. But that was about 3 years ago.

Good luck.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:04 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,867 times
It can definitely be found around here. This is not an uncommon request among folks I know. I've seen the recommendation that Blue Ridge Pharmacy can get it for you.

Blue Ridge Pharmacy

I would go on Triangle Mommies and ask in the Natural Living/ Attachment Parenting forum. Those are the folks most likely to have had experience with this.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:03 PM

202 posts, read 949,827 times
I am currently struggling with this too. For our 1st son he had the first 2 shots separately (measles, rubella) but we can't for the life of us get the mumps shot. Merck makes this shot and they don't make very many of them. Currently they are not planning on making anymore until Spring 2009 at best. If someone knows anything else let me know. Also for our 2nd son our pediatrician has now refused to separate the shots, they will only give the combo shot so we are going to wait to give it to him until he get's older, maybe 2 1/2 or 3.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:22 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,694,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmithgolf2000 View Post
I am currently struggling with this too. For our 1st son he had the first 2 shots separately (measles, rubella) but we can't for the life of us get the mumps shot. Merck makes this shot and they don't make very many of them. Currently they are not planning on making anymore until Spring 2009 at best. If someone knows anything else let me know. Also for our 2nd son our pediatrician has now refused to separate the shots, they will only give the combo shot so we are going to wait to give it to him until he get's older, maybe 2 1/2 or 3.
Have you considered finding another pediatrician? Dr. Sears' website lists pediatricians that share his vaccine philosophy, but the only one in NC is in Asheville which would be quite a drive for a check up.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:42 PM

847 posts, read 3,522,279 times
We did not, but, yeah, it's been done locally. Keep asking around. Look for alternative parenting groups.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:42 PM

3 posts, read 16,956 times
Thank you to everyone that has replied.

We have already tried Blue Ridge pharmacy, that was who our doctor told us to go to. They said they can get the rubella shot but not the measles shot and they also informed us that they haven't been able to get the mumps vaccine for a long time.

I called the Nurse who advised me to call Merck, they said they can get measles and rubella in the next few weeks but mumps is not available until the 1st quarter of 2009, the only problem is you have to order them in packs of 10 and it costs around $1000.

We shall investigate some of the possibilities people have been kind enough to suggest.

Thanks!

Old 10-22-2008, 06:48 PM

492 posts, read 2,107,663 times
Before you try the pharmacy in Hopewell, NJ (cool town, I lived there in the early 90's) give a call to the compounding pharmacy in Cary (sorry, don't know the name. It's at Waldo Rood/Cary Parkway, behind the Fresh Market.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary