U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2007, 03:27 PM

54 posts, read 209,474 times

Advertisements

I'm concerned about flooding in the Raleigh area. Is there less concern about
flooding in N. Raleigh than in East or SE Raleigh? I love the house that I picked out in Chasteal Trails near Rock Quarry and Barwell (27610) but I did see a flood warning sign not far from the subdivision.

My house here in MD is on the market and Raleigh here I come (after I get
a contract on my home). The possibility of flooding is my biggest worry about
moving to the area although what I read in these threads about snakes did give me pause. I resolved the snake problem by deciding not to live near water or lots of trees and not to have wood piles around (although a wood-burning fireplace is a must-have for me).

Does anyone else re-locating to the area have a concern about flooding?

I have looked at flood plans but I still would like to know what others know
or may have experienced.

Thanks for your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 03:48 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,231,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEJ View Post
I'm concerned about flooding in the Raleigh area. Is there less concern about
flooding in N. Raleigh than in East or SE Raleigh? I love the house that I picked out in Chasteal Trails near Rock Quarry and Barwell (27610) but I did see a flood warning sign not far from the subdivision.

My house here in MD is on the market and Raleigh here I come (after I get
a contract on my home). The possibility of flooding is my biggest worry about
moving to the area although what I read in these threads about snakes did give me pause. I resolved the snake problem by deciding not to live near water or lots of trees and not to have wood piles around (although a wood-burning fireplace is a must-have for me).

Does anyone else re-locating to the area have a concern about flooding?

I have looked at flood plans but I still would like to know what others know
or may have experienced.

Thanks for your help.
Unless you live by Crabtree Creek, you really don't have to worry about flooding in Raleigh.

(Oh, and I've read the snake thread...and found it completely overblown. I live by a creek and woods...and have seen a grand total of one (that is one (1)) 7 inch garter snake.

Yes, there are some snakes are around...but you really don't have to check between the sheets before you crawl into bed!!

Old 02-16-2007, 08:12 PM

402 posts, read 2,154,332 times
I would contact the local planning department and or inspections department and inquire as to the flood zone if any. Also if you are somewhat computer savy you could go to www.ncfloodmaps.com and go to the digital maps and zoom into the area and see for yourself if the area is in a flood zone. Another approach is to call a surveyor to see if the property is prone to flooding. Planning and Inspections is free. A surveyor probably wouldn't be.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:30 PM

12,475 posts, read 30,882,318 times
After looking at the website that shows you the flood plains, call your lender or homeowner's insurance person, give them the address and they'll tell you if you are in a flood plain.

Yes, there are homes in flood plains but the seller is really suppossed to disclose this before you make an offer.

And...there are different levels of flood plains.

Vicki

Old 02-16-2007, 08:46 PM

40,803 posts, read 70,782,693 times
Easy search for flood prone areas.
Go to this site:
http://msweb01.co.wake.nc.us/realestate/search.asp?id=0068878&stype=addr&stnum=536&stname= jones&locidList=&spg=1&cd=01&loc=536+E+JONES+ST&de s=&pin=1703996669&page=1 (broken link)

Plug in your address and hit GO(I have chosen one the builder still owns):
http://msweb01.co.wake.nc.us/realestate/Account.asp?id=0343187&stype=addr&stnum=&stname=ch asteal&locidList=&spg=1 (broken link)

When you get the account page, click on the MAP button on the right end of the bar.
http://imaps.co.wake.nc.us/imaps/mai...pin=1732338732

In the map window, click on Environmental features. It will reset the page with topographic elevation lines

On the right side you will see a list of layers. Click on Special Flood Hazard Areas and Flood Prone Soils
The Special Flood Hazard Areas will come up in color, with 100 year flood areas and 500 year flood areas defined.

This example shows no flood hazard areas. I just pulled a street out of memory

If you want to make the map area larger, look at the address and change the 525 to 825 and refresh the browser window
You will likely have to reset the selections for Environmental Features and Special Flood Hazard Areas.

Also, do not click anything while the little map icon is spinning. It will probably mess up. You will have to click layers individually to get them into the view, letting the map reset each time.

Have fun!

Old 02-17-2007, 01:52 PM

MikeJaquish
You helped me so much. That site gave me all of the info I needed and put my mind at ease.
Many thanks!

Old 02-17-2007, 02:34 PM

40,803 posts, read 70,782,693 times
Glad it helped, Mike.
Enjoy your new home and your move!

Old 02-21-2007, 08:54 PM

MikeJaquish,
I sent you a PM. Hope you can help me.

THX,
Mikej
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary