Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 06:02 PM

446 posts, read 1,393,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
If you want uninterrupted, top quality service, pick TWC. If you like outages every time there is a dark cloud, pick DirecTV.
Not true and you know it. Lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 05:15 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
I lived in a wide open field. Great shot to the satellite. End result, satellite quality was awful. TWC is far superior.
I call BS as well. I have DirectTV, can count on one hand how many times service has gone out in 2 years....only during really bad thunderstorms and only for a short time at that...

Time Warner had MANY more outages and much worse customer service...

Picture quality from DTV is MUCH superior to cable, better features, more channels, better DVR.....

Go Direct TV

Old 10-24-2008, 05:48 AM

455 posts, read 918,519 times
Not to get into the debate between the two, since I'm currently a TWC subscriber that is planning on exploring my options with DirecTV, but I figured this might be a good spot to let people know this information.

From the Time-Warner Update Page, posted within the last couple of hours:
Upcoming and Recent Channel Lineup Changes

Oct. 29, 2008: The following HD channels will be added to the Free HD lineup:

* Discovery HD - Channel 260: Offers real life entertainment in shows such as American Chopper, Monster Garage, Unsolved History, and more.
* Speed HD - Channel 273: 24-hour cable network devoted exclusively to automotive, aviation, and marine entertainment and information.
* ESPNU HD - Channel 288: Coverage of NCAA college sports includes basketball, football, baseball, hockey, and more.
* Bio HD - Channel 296: BIO HD is about real people and their real lives: up close and personal, gritty and provocative, always unfiltered.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:41 AM

40 posts, read 143,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMayor View Post
Not to get into the debate between the two, since I'm currently a TWC subscriber that is planning on exploring my options with DirecTV, but I figured this might be a good spot to let people know this information.

* Discovery HD - Channel 260: Offers real life entertainment in shows such as American Chopper, Monster Garage, Unsolved History, and more.
* Speed HD - Channel 273: 24-hour cable network devoted exclusively to automotive, aviation, and marine entertainment and information.
* ESPNU HD - Channel 288: Coverage of NCAA college sports includes basketball, football, baseball, hockey, and more.
* Bio HD - Channel 296: BIO HD is about real people and their real lives: up close and personal, gritty and provocative, always unfiltered.
Wow, 4 channels. I'm impressed.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:16 AM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
I have DirecTV after being a TWC customer for the past 5+ years. Let me preface my comment by saying there is tree coverage in my area and near my house. I get a pretty good signal, however, the service DOES go out frequently for me. I get one of those code 772...searching for signals at least twice a week. My HDR-220 goes out and has to be reset approximately 2 - 3 times a month. The quality of the broadcast is good and I like the range of HD programming. But I actually had more consistent service when I had TWC, but the price of DirecTV is better.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:17 AM

673 posts, read 2,266,103 times
Quote:

Now, if one of those new channels had been BRAVO, I would have sat up and taken notice! I still want my Bravo TV!

We are in the process of making the switch to DirecTV -- just waiting for installation.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I have DirecTV after being a TWC customer for the past 5+ years. Let me preface my comment by saying there is tree coverage in my area and near my house. I get a pretty good signal, however, the service DOES go out frequently for me. I get one of those code 772...searching for signals at least twice a week. My HDR-220 goes out and has to be reset approximately 2 - 3 times a month. The quality of the broadcast is good and I like the range of HD programming. But I actually had more consistent service when I had TWC, but the price of DirecTV is better.
Have you called DirecTV and had them realign your dish? You should also request a new DVR.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:15 AM

207 posts, read 1,088,522 times
Quote:

DIRECTV has all of those channels in HD and many more... Time Warner and other cable companies across the country really have a lot of work to do to catch up with all the HD content satellite providers offer.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:12 PM

945 posts, read 1,971,249 times
Quote:

Great news. Thanks for the info. I love these channels. One of the many things I love about TWC is the selection of HD channels that I like, without the zillions garbage HD channels that no one cares about. They have real good HD channels on TWC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Thanks for your open and honest input. Satellite is fine when weather is good, but people need to realize the downfall of the system. Having had both, I know how much better TWC is. As long as they do not charge someone for equipment, then people should try satellite. Then they will see for themselves how annoying it can be when the signal pixelates or drops out when dark clouds, rain, ice & snow go by. And then how you have to clean the stupid dish off when it gets ice covered. No thanks to that. I will stick with outage free, crystal clear HD service from TWC, including local channels in HD.

Last edited by Exit MA Now; 10-24-2008 at 03:57 PM..

Old 10-24-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your open and honest input. Satellite is fine when weather is good, but people need to realize the downfall of the system. Having had both, I know how much better TWC is. As long as they do not charge someone for equipment, then people should try satellite. Then they will see for themselves how annoying it can be when the signal pixelates or drops out when dark clouds, rain, ice & snow go by. And then how you have to clean the stupid dish off when it gets ice covered. No thanks to that. I will stick with outage free, crystal clear HD service from TWC, including local channels in HD.
Stop! Put down the crackpipe, and slooooowly step away...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary