Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 09:13 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
It may have been going on 6 years ago...it goes on today. The situation hasn't changed.....and in many ways is worse.
What is the point? That illegals are the only ones who will risk their health to make a buck?

Tell me this, when will someone address the issue of this thread?

Old 02-19-2007, 09:18 PM

Oh yeah, thanks to whoever gave me the negative point for my post. Apparently I need to grow up and I was accused of being a racist.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:18 PM

959 posts, read 4,493,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
You pull up an article from 6 years ago and this gives relevance to the plight of the illegal alien? How many Americans do you suppose this has happened to in the past 200 years?

Once again, no facts, just a play on emotions.
I don't suppose any facts would move you Malnourished children are of no consequence to you.

Here's an article from this month about a reality show where Americans went to work in factories. It's the closest to today's date I could find in a brief google search, but there are hundreds of articles out there.

http://news.ncmonline.com/news/view_...8243f129d08417

Note what one of the Americans had to say:
...said Matt Holt, one of the law school students in the project. “I took the job because I wanted to see what our neighbors go through so I could understand why people will risk their lives to get here.”

Note these students didn't have to worry about caring for or feeding any children.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
I don't suppose any facts would move you Malnourished children are of no consequence to you.

Here's an article from this month about a reality show where Americans went to work in factories. It's the closest to today's date I could find in a brief google search, but there are hundreds of articles out there.

http://news.ncmonline.com/news/view_...8243f129d08417

Note what one of the Americans had to say:
...said Matt Holt, one of the law school students in the project. “I took the job because I wanted to see what our neighbors go through so I could understand why people will risk their lives to get here.”

Note these students didn't have to worry about caring for or feeding any children.

I dont understand your arguement! You seem to be implying that only those who illegally cross our borders risk their lives by working in factories!

There is no logic to this because it is not a unique situation since people worldwide have been doing high risk jobs for centuries.

Secondly, its your own decision. You chose to cross the border, you choose where you work. If you think the job is too dangerous, dont work there. If the risk outweighs the benefit, then quit.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:28 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
What is the point? That illegals are the only ones who will risk their health to make a buck?

Tell me this, when will someone address the issue of this thread?
Ah.....no...that living in that are there is few, if any, other choices. It's risk your health or starve and your children along with you.

This is what many Mexicans that come over illegally are escaping. Then again I am sure many feel they are just Mexican children...not worth much and plenty more where they came from. As long as it doesn't inconvenience middle class Americans and their cheap consumer goods...who cares, right?

It is the issue of the thread. One of the reasons we are seeing an increase in illegal immigration is that American companies head down there (Hershey chocolate is the latest one) to exploit the cheap labour, fewer OSHA regs and control the local economy with sub par wages.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:32 PM

959 posts, read 4,493,348 times
Quote:
I dont understand your arguement! You seem to be implying that only those who illegally cross our borders risk their lives by working in factories!

There is no logic to this because it is not a unique situation since people worldwide have been doing high risk jobs for centuries.

Secondly, its your own decision. You chose to cross the border, you choose where you work. If you think the job is too dangerous, dont work there. If the risk outweighs the benefit, then quit.
I'm simply saying I understand why foreigners are compelled to come and live in the US, for a variety of reasons, including war and extreme poverty. One of the most prevalent groups immigrating illegally are Mexicans of course. They're living within sight of the US, they know what opportunities are available there for unskilled workers, and they choose to take their chances in a foreign country rather than relocate within Mexico.

I'm really not trying to argue anything, and am particularly not trying to minimize the fact that illegal immigration is a problem. I was simply stating that I am sympathetic to people who find themselves at a point where they would leave everything and everyone they know behind. I don't justify the fact that they are breaking the law. But I admire their courage.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:35 PM

Ill end the debate here which Im done posting on this particular thread. No, just because I disagree with what you say I refuse to lower myself and give you a red dot, unlike yourself, (whoever you are).

As I said before, I stated facts, you state emotions. You cant articulate your arguements, so to make up for your short comings, I am attacked and ignorantly called a racist. You dont know me, so I could be hispanic, black, white, or asian for all you know.

This thread is useless, and it belongs in the politics forum, since this topic only offers amusement to those reading it.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
I dont understand your arguement!
Obviously. Have you been to the area? Do you really think that the border towns are just a run down section like you might see in Raleigh?

Quote:
And for centuries they've immigraited to other areas to get away from having to do high risk jobs. World history isn't an interest of yours, is it?

Quote:
Wow....you really have no idea, do you? There are no other options. You work in these places or starve. The few companies that are better then others have waiting lists hundreds of names long. (Something even those companies exploit....late for work because your child is sick? You are shown the door...they've got 200 others willing to take your place.)

There are no food stamps, no free lunch at school.....your kids starve. Guess who works in a dangerous factory?

Old 02-19-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah, thanks to whoever gave me the negative point for my post. Apparently I need to grow up and I was accused of being a racist.
If the shoe fits....do some research of the conditions of the border towns filled with American factories then say that there is no reason for people want to move here.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:28 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,832 times
Default laws,

I know that I have put this in before but if you look at this , it will show you how we cant just keep on going with illegal immigration the way it is:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...26727128068265

I do realize that illegals come here for a better life. I am not against THE REASON I AM AGAINST THAT THEY ARE DOING IT ILLEGALLY!
People come here legally so I KNOW THAT IT CAN BE DONE.

They are doing it all illegally for a reason, financial benefit.
Yes, I know that the cops are caught in the middle and cant do much, this is the job of INS and the government.....
I have read that some cities are passing local laws to help them combat the problem since the government doesnt care. This needs to be taken care at the border / entry points to stop it.
I think one of the main reasons this continues is because corporate america will not go back from cheap labor and they influence the government too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary