Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 08:16 PM

693 posts, read 2,760,212 times

Advertisements

Where can you find tech job offerings in NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2006, 04:19 AM

543 posts, read 1,824,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener
Where can you find tech job offerings in NC?
Take a look at monster, tons of stuff posted on there. Craigslist has a bunch of postings also.

I found though that when looking in advance, most recruiters wouldn't talk to me until I had a carolina address or something that proved I was moving. Can't blame them, they must get a ton of research type resumes that never pan out. Good luck with your search!

Mark

Old 06-08-2006, 06:04 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,561,845 times
I actually have a list of all the companies in RTP if your interested. They all have a human resource which can be contacted for employment. Some hire on their own and don't go through anyone else.

Best of Luck,
Debbie

Old 06-08-2006, 06:41 AM

Interesting. So if I get a job in RTC what would be an ideal location for a home? A more liberal community would be ideal for me.

Old 06-08-2006, 06:44 AM

9 posts, read 36,761 times
Default List of Companies

Debbie,
If you could email the list of companies you have for the RTP area, that would be great! My email is cliffrock@gmail.com. Does the list also contain a description of what the company does? Thanks,
Cliff

Old 06-08-2006, 07:35 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times
Grass, I think that if you are seeking a more liberal community you might consider Chapel Hill. It is a college town which historically tend in that direction and I have heard specifically that Chapel Hill "leans" that way. Not sure of what kind of tech job you are seeking but one of the best employers in the country is SAS Software so you might check out their website.

Old 06-08-2006, 08:50 AM

Cool. By reading previous threads your recommendation of looking into Chapel Hill seems right. A second choice would be Raleigh, if I got the facts right. As far as the job, I work with software development, Windows environment, .NET / C#.

After a quick search on the listings it looks like Chapel Hill is a bit more challenging than Raleigh as far as finding a home, is that right?

Old 06-08-2006, 11:39 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Yes, Chapel Hill is one of the more expensive towns in central NC. It's also pretty small city of about 50,000 so the housing stock isn't as large there.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:56 AM

483 posts, read 1,567,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener
Cool. By reading previous threads your recommendation of looking into Chapel Hill seems right. A second choice would be Raleigh, if I got the facts right. As far as the job, I work with software development, Windows environment, .NET / C#.

After a quick search on the listings it looks like Chapel Hill is a bit more challenging than Raleigh as far as finding a home, is that right?
You've received very good advice from the others posting here, and let me just add to it. Chapel Hill is a beautiful area, excellent schools, but very expensive. Raleigh is okay but if you're concerned about schools, you have to definitely look at school report cards. There are three main employment areas that I know of: The Triad (Winston-Salem, Greensboro, ?), RTP (Raleigh, RTP stands for Research Triangle Park), and the Charlotte Metro Area. RTP is big on technology and pharmaceutical industries while Charlotte is a major financial industry with lots of technology jobs as well. I'm not sure about the TRIAD (probably more textiles). Here is a link for the list of companies that are located in the RTP area http://www.rtp.org/. Click on Job Opportunities and you will be brought to a directory of companies. SAS is not headquartered in RTP but is in Cary which is just outside of RTP. Cary is outside of the Raleigh metro area but is getting to be expensive since most of the residents are from up north. If you're looking in the RTP area you can look at Holly Springs. Nice small town that starting to build a presence, they have their own water supply instead of depending upon Raleigh, and you get to take advantage of the same schools that Cary belong to. The only problem is that the schools are overcrowded and student redistricting is going on down there.

My husband had a hard time finding IT employment in the Raleigh area probably because we had a NY mailing address so there is truth in saying that resumes are being ignored if you're from out of state. Most companies don't want to pay for relocation. If you know someone in NC, ask if you can use their address; that would probably help significantly. Monster.com, Careerbuilder.com are good to use, although there are some companies that will either advertise themselves or use recruiters. You can also try mrinetwork.com. They are one of the biggest recruiting firms that handle jobs in the NC area. I wish you luck with your search.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:21 AM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
The 'tech market' in this area (I speak of the Triangle) has never been what I would call prolific in the 7+ yrs I've lived here. Certainly nothing like what was available in the Bay Area of CA. In fact, this market keeps me in a dead-end job because I have to stay employed, even if it's a dead-end and there are so few jobs. For that reason I miss CA (not for the cost-of-living). There are simply fewer opportunities here in the Triangle unless you're in pharma/bioscience or something related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary