U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 02:26 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,328,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshallen View Post
haaaaaaa......wait till healthcare is free. it will be a 2 year waiting list for an MRI. duke will become the clinic.
I know what you mean, but for the 60% of us that do pay taxes it sure won't be free. I expect half the service at twice the cost.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 02:28 PM
rfb

2,329 posts, read 5,859,032 times
I think the Triangle has some of the best healthcare in the country, if not the world. You have two top research universities in Duke and UNC, and many other excellent hospitals. Duke and UNC turn out excellent doctors, many who choose to practice in the Triangle.

If you feel you are getting inadequate treatment, then please look elsewhere. There are some excellent options available in the area and no one should accept sub-standard treatment.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:48 PM

945 posts, read 1,886,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Taylor View Post
Sadly, I don't think it IS just me.

Please feel free to discuss...
The question in the title was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Taylor View Post
Is it just me or is the healthcare lousy around here?

The answer is:

Yes, it is just you. The health care here is top notch and world renowned. The health care is good, the weather is good, the economic situation is good, housing is good. It's all pretty darn good here. I suggest that if people find so many things wrong with this area, they should find an area that is a better fit for them. I could never imagine living somewhere that I thought was awful. That's why I left MA. Rather than complain about it, I moved somewhere that I felt was great.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:54 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,370,225 times
Coming from MA I am very happy w/ my healthcare options in the Triangle. Excellent resources were something I took for granted in MA. I feel fortunate to have so many resources here. Both my husband and I are happy with our primary doctors, our dentist, our children's pediatric dentist, thrilled with our children's pediatrician that practices evidence based medicine. And I am getting excellent prenatal care with the UNC Family Practice midwife. Actually, I couldn't be happier with our healthcare providers!

Old 10-29-2008, 03:16 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,117,247 times
Yeah I agree, I also think it is just you. I remember when I lived in Wilmington for a year I heard about the hospitals and treatment in the area . I found out a lot of people commute to Duke/UNC for their treatment. I realized how good we had it here. Our hospitals are world renowned and I will never take that for granted!

Old 10-29-2008, 04:36 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,619,862 times
It's really hard to respond to such a blanket statement. Is there something in particular about health care that you've received that you've found troublesome?

Old 10-29-2008, 05:13 PM

546 posts, read 2,333,227 times
The health CARE around here is top of the line the health COVERAGE stinks. Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nclover View Post
The health CARE around here is top of the line the health COVERAGE stinks. Just my 2 cents.
Wouldn't the health coverage depend on the plan you choose? My plan is great.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:29 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,369,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
Wouldn't the health coverage depend on the plan you choose? My plan is great.
Usually it's dependent upon the plan you can afford, which isn't always the one you would choose. There is less health insurance competition in NC than the state I moved from, thus I pay more for health insurance get less. (This has nothing to do with the quality of care.... which I think is great.) But I really think this area could use a HMO... a real one... like Kaiser.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Usually it's dependent upon the plan you can afford, which isn't always the one you would choose. There is less health insurance competition in NC than the state I moved from, thus I pay more for health insurance get less. (This has nothing to do with the quality of care.... which I think is great.) But I really think this area could use a HMO... a real one... like Kaiser.
Hmmm. Maybe things just cost more in MA. When we came down and looked at out of pocket insurance through BCBSNC, I was shocked at how cheap it was. Cheap even paying for it 100% on my own....and I am not a 20 or 30 something either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary