Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 03:58 PM

48 posts, read 243,816 times

Advertisements

I am looking into renting an apartment at Southpoint Crossing Apartments near Streets of Southpoint. Is this a good area of Durham? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 04:12 PM

945 posts, read 1,973,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healinghands View Post
I am looking into renting an apartment at Southpoint Crossing Apartments near Streets of Southpoint. Is this a good area of Durham? Thanks.

Yep.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:01 PM

673 posts, read 2,268,007 times
Our family lived there temporarily while waiting to close on our house when we first moved to Durham. We loved those apartments! So easy to walk over to the shopping center for a Starbucks, take-out, or a quick trip to the grocery store. The complex also borders the ATT, so we thought the location was perfect! Our house is just a couple of miles from the Southpoint Crossing area, so we are in that neighborhood all the time. Yes, I definitely give them a two thumbs up!

Old 10-29-2008, 08:30 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 566,751 times
Depends on what you mean by good. It is safe. It is not the most interesting or enjoyable part of town in my opinion.

Of course, there are plenty of others who disagree with me.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:21 PM

675 posts, read 1,834,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9/9 View Post
Depends on what you mean by good. It is safe. It is not the most interesting or enjoyable part of town in my opinion.

Of course, there are plenty of others who disagree with me.
But, there are also plenty of those who agree with you.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:18 AM

447 posts, read 1,719,206 times
I had friends that lived there. It is a fine place to live as far as safety. The only thing thing is the traffic during the holidays. If I were to make the mistake of moving back to Durham I would look in that area myself

Old 10-30-2008, 11:21 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,347,012 times
Yes, it's a safe area and great for shopping. But do keep in mind with all the shopping there's lots of traffic. Not my cup of tea either, but it is a great central location for the Triangle area.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:32 AM

48 posts, read 243,816 times
Where do you live now Chuckreis? You didn't like Durham? We are leaving Florida and moving to either North Carolina or maybe Pennsylvania. Doing lots of research. Thanks.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:10 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,025,737 times
There are a ton of complexes that are "in the Southpoint area" that aren't affected by traffic. If by in the area you mean that you can walk to the mall, then yes there is slightly more traffic around there, much like Brier Creek or Crabtree.

My apartment is about 1.5 miles from Southpoint and we deal with ZERO mall-related traffic.

You could check out complexes like:

Pine Ridge Apartments
1520 Magnolia Apartments
South Terrace at Auburn Apartments

Personally, we drove around to all the areas recommended by this board and found that we liked SW Durham within a couple miles of Southpoint better than anywhere else. The apartments I mentioned are nice newer complexes and aren't priced as high as similar ones around Brier Creek.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:11 AM

447 posts, read 1,719,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healinghands View Post
Where do you live now Chuckreis? You didn't like Durham? We are leaving Florida and moving to either North Carolina or maybe Pennsylvania. Doing lots of research. Thanks.
I live ITB Raleigh (Inside the Beltline). I live in a small brick bungalow in an old neighborhood that is recovering from years of neglect. I like older houses, quarter acre lots (and bigger) and the freedom to do with my yard and house what I want (no neighborhood association to tell me how to cut my lawn or the kind of grass I can plant). My house is close to most everything I need, except my job.

Durham is not as bad as people say, it is getting back to being a good place. I will say 5 years ago I found the place hopeless. I grew up in Durham, and except for college lived there from 1984 until 2001. I saw a lot of the changes and growing pains. I think the biggest problem with Durham was that it had an incompetent Police Force and City Government, but that seems to be improving. They have also not been as successful turning their Downtown into a livable space, but they finally seem to be on the right track with that also.

As for SW Durham, you can live there, Apex, Hollysprings, North Raleigh, Parts of Cary, and Morrisville and get the same size small lots, the same strip malls, the same pizza, fast food and steak houses. They are very cookie cutter, but they are new and shiney neighborhoods.

It all depends on your lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary