Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 05:20 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,012 times

Advertisements

I reside in Cary, so I might be one of your neighbors. Here is my opinion, based on my past experience:

When I was twelve living in San Diego, I went to visit my cousin at her apartment complex down by the beach. It was about 10 pm and we decided we would like to go down to the pool for a swim. As we approached we noticed loud Michael Jackson music playing. The hot tub area had been blocked off. I knew nothing of the "gay lifestyle" but found it odd that about 25 men occupied the hot tub, drinking carrying on, listening to Jackson. As I dove in and out of the pool with my cousin, I soon was in for a lesson I wished I had not witnessed, to this day. The men in spedos were performing oral things on each other and making out right there in the hot tub. My cousin and I got out and left to the cat calls from the gay men in the hot tub. About five minutes later a US Marine Core drill seagent who lived in the complex came down and ordered them out of the tub. He ended up getting into a fist fight with about 25 drunk gay males. The cops showed up and it turned into a real mess.

If this is the type of affection you want in your hood, then have at it.

Ya, ya, I know, what if it were a group of heterosexuals? I think it would have been offensive, but at least I would have understood what I was seeing at 12 years old. If you keep it to yourself nobody will care, because nobody will know. But this does not always happen, as you know.

Let the attacks begin, so be it.

And before you all attack me.......you asked, so I responded.

No, I'm not a bigot, no I won't try and run you out of my hood should you move here. Yes, I would welcome you as a neighbor. So lets not go there. But for some reason, the gay male movement in this country seems to want to make sure it happens right in your face. I don't think most Americans really care, but we also don't want it to be forced on us. Think about it. Be respecful about your sexuality and I don't think anyone will care.

Last edited by CarolinaCowboy; 11-02-2008 at 05:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 05:24 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
When I was twelve living in San Diego, I went to visit my cousin at her apartment complex down by the beach. It was about 10 pm and we decided we would like to go down to the pool for a swim. As we approached we noticed loud Michael Jackson music playing. The hot tub area had been blocked off. I knew nothing of the "gay lifestyle" but found it odd that about 25 men occupied the hot tub, drinking carrying on, listening to Jackson. As I dove in and out of the pool with my cousin, I soon was in for a lesson I wished I had not witnessed, to this day. The men in spedos were performing oral things on each other and making out right there in the hot tub. My cousin and I got out and left to the cat calls from the gay men in the hot tub. About five minutes later a US Marine Core drill seagent who lived in the complex came down and ordered them out of the tub. He ended up getting into a fist fight with about 25 drunk gay males. The cops showed up and it turned into a real mess.

If this is the type of affection you want in your hood, then have at it.

Ya, ya, I know, what if it were a group of heterosexuals? I think it would have been offensive, but at least I would have understood what I was seeing at 12 years old. If you keep it to yourself nobody will care, because nobody will know. But this does not always happen, as you know.

And before you all attack me.......you asked, so I responded.
And this post gives info about Cary being gay friendly?? How so?

Old 11-02-2008, 05:30 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
And this post gives info about Cary being gay friendly?? How so?
I live right smack in the middle of it, that is how it relates. The thread has turned into opinions of gay acceptance in Cary. Read the posts. Most of them are warm welcoming, so mine shows a bit of concern and it does not relate? come on now.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:52 PM

1,967 posts, read 953,573 times
Quote:
I live right smack in the middle of it, that is how it relates. The thread has turned into opinions of gay acceptance in Cary. Read the posts. Most of them are warm welcoming, so mine shows a bit of concern and it does not relate? come on now.
Guys, I don't think this has to get to be a hissy-fit (can't believe I just used that word) between everyone, as the OP has not posted to this thread since he started it and he and his partner has decided to move to Colombia, SC as per this thread.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:57 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 565,641 times
It is sad to see that a lot of this thread is just confirming a common negative stereotype of Cary.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:04 PM

945 posts, read 1,971,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9/9 View Post
It is sad to see that a lot of this thread is just confirming a common negative stereotype of Cary.

How so? Most Cary posters say they would be welcoming. Are you telling me that 100% of the population of other towns would be accepting?

Old 11-02-2008, 06:08 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 565,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
How so? Most Cary posters say they would be welcoming. Are you telling me that 100% of the population of other towns would be accepting?
My post had nothing to do with other towns. Just what I hear about Cary. I can't say much of anything about the truthfulness of them, since Cary is not somewhere I spend much (any, really) of my time.

I was just commenting on the fact that there are a number of posts here that seem to agree with the comments I hear, and that I hope are untrue.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:36 PM

945 posts, read 1,971,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9/9 View Post
My post had nothing to do with other towns. Just what I hear about Cary. I can't say much of anything about the truthfulness of them, since Cary is not somewhere I spend much (any, really) of my time.

I was just commenting on the fact that there are a number of posts here that seem to agree with the comments I hear, and that I hope are untrue.

My point is that the vast majority of posts from Cary residents are welcoming. The vast minority have issues. How is that different than any town that is gay friendly. No town has 100% of the residents that would be welcoming. From reading the posts, I come away with a clear understanding that gays would be as welcome there as anywhere.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:35 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
FWIW, I'm not going to attack you, you've obviosly had a rough day! You probably wouln't be feeling better come tuesday night either.

Manning throws for 3 TDs in 35-14 win over Cowboys

Old 11-02-2008, 07:38 PM

52 posts, read 142,875 times
It sounds like the vast majority of Cary residents would welcome a gay couple into their neighborhood. I have a lesbian couple near me and they're great. It's good to see so much acceptance. Amazing fall colors, and now acceptance of diversity? I am loving my new home more each day.

(been here 2 months now and loving it!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary