Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 09:28 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times

Advertisements

What would you do? As you all know, I'm interested in the Wake Forest area. I've looked at homes all around. The homes I like are just a little more than I'd like to spend, but still could afford. Also, they have just a little less land than I prefer. Most of them are also on the north side of Wake Forest. The pros though are they are in an established S/D with neighbors. I'm now looking at a piece of land that I could build a modular on that is not in a S/D. The 2 surrounding homes are block homes. This would put me in the price range that I'd like to spend. It would also give me almost an acre which I like. It is located on the south part of Wake Forest which I like the location b/c it puts me closer to N. Raleigh if I have to go there, but yet close enough to WF and not feel to far out there. The thing that concerns me is not being in an established neighborhhood, otherwise everthing else fits the bill. My son is 14 and there wouldn't be any kids around for him to hang out with. We'll be staying in the next home for a while and I want to make sure I'm making the right decision. By the way, we'll most likely be working in the Wake Forest/ N. Raleigh area. Thanks for all opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 09:43 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
My opinions...buying a piece of propety and putting a modular on it isn't going to be as good of an investment as buying a piece of property and building a house on it nor will the modular be as good of an investment as buying a house inside of a neighborhood.

The majority of folks in this area look down on a modular. The majority of folks in this are want to live inside of a neighborhood/subdivision so when it comes time to re sell, your pool of buyers is very decreased.

As for the 14 year old, he will meet friends at school but then someone is going to be responsbile for driving him to his friends' homes or having the friends driven to your home. Bit of a hassle but my kids' best friends have never been in our neighborhood so it seems that someone is always doing a bit of driving.

The up side to living in a larger subdivision with pool is that he will meet more friends that are close by and you may have less driving him around.

Vicki

Old 10-31-2008, 09:46 AM

I do like the pool in a S/D. Decisions, decisions?

Old 10-31-2008, 09:53 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
My opinions...buying a piece of propety and putting a modular on it isn't going to be as good of an investment as buying a piece of property and building a house on it nor will the modular be as good of an investment as buying a house inside of a neighborhood.

The majority of folks in this area look down on a modular. The majority of folks in this are want to live inside of a neighborhood/subdivision so when it comes time to re sell, your pool of buyers is very decreased.

As for the 14 year old, he will meet friends at school but then someone is going to be responsbile for driving him to his friends' homes or having the friends driven to your home. Bit of a hassle but my kids' best friends have never been in our neighborhood so it seems that someone is always doing a bit of driving.

The up side to living in a larger subdivision with pool is that he will meet more friends that are close by and you may have less driving him around.

Vicki
Well said. We were interested in a larger lot and building a passive solar home on it, but that would've meant living farther out than we wanted and also not being in a n'hood. With our son, the benefits of a more traditional home in an established n'hood far outweighed the other option.

Also, as for pricing in the neighborhood...don't forget that this is a buyer's market and that the prices you see on the MLS are merely a suggested price. You can always start with a low offer and see where it goes. That's what the folks did who bought our old house, and also what we did when we purchased our new house. We sold at 96% of list and bought at 92% of list.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:08 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,502,387 times
I would definitely go with the established neighborhood. You know what they say: location, location, location. Putting a modular next to block homes is not a desirable "location."

Old 10-31-2008, 12:21 PM

That's what I hear from alot of ppl. One other concern that I have is, my hubby has a landscaping business. He has to park a utility trailer. Another thing is that we have a travel trailer that we have to park. I know some S/D wouldn't mind, but other's are very strict. Therfore, I have to be selective. I like the idea of neighbors too and a community pool. I just don't like houses on top of each other.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:42 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
That's what I hear from alot of ppl. One other concern that I have is, my hubby has a landscaping business. He has to park a utility trailer. Another thing is that we have a travel trailer that we have to park. I know some S/D wouldn't mind, but other's are very strict. Therfore, I have to be selective. I like the idea of neighbors too and a community pool. I just don't like houses on top of each other.
Not all of them are on top of each other. What size lot do you have in mind and what is your price range? Older homes usually have bigger lots. And some of them have a pool or are close to a city pool, YMCA or swim club.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:52 PM

I'd like at least a 1/2 acre, but would settle for 1/3. The problem is our price range which is under $160K. I know ppl will say that's impossible, but actually I've found stuff in that range. You just have to be patient and they pop up. NO COOKIE-CUTTER NEIGHBORHOODS! Older homes are fine too. We'd like to be on the southside of WF b/c of work. Those S/D are very expensive though.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:05 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Becky,

This is a little off your main topic (I kind of agree that you will limit your pool of buyers from a resale perspective) but if you are looking for some space I noticed two lisitng off of New Light Road in Wake Forest. They are kind of out there but have 1.5 and two acres of land. These are older homes so they aren't as expensive as the pricey neighborhoods out that way. With all that land you would have plenty of room to store landscaping trailers ect... Again, not sure how easy it would be to sell such a place down the road, but you never know!

Again, might not be the area you want, but I thought I would point them out so you could check them out online.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:41 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
You need to find an area with no HOA so you can do as you wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary