Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 09:18 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,436,299 times

Advertisements

Capital Blvd IS A NIGHTMARE. Its getting more so everyday.. things don't calm down on the northern end until you get right at or just past the Franklin/Wake County line.. then it gets really pretty again (Franklin County i nice)
My husband will not take it to work, unless he wants to sit bumper to bumper from Wake Forest to I-540 for an hour.

He takes Falls of Neuse - he says he must get by Wakefield HS by 6:45 or he gets the privilige of sitting bumper to bumper all the way down Falls.

8 years ago, it wasn't so much an issue - Wakefield wasn't as built up.. neither was Falls River, Bedford, etc. Also, WHS didn't exist.

A few years ago, he needed to get by Wakefield HS by 7:00 to avoid the jam vs. the current 6:45. He says "6:45 is the new 7:00" (during the school year)

However, things improve substantially in the summer, when the kiddos are out of school. Its amazing how much traffic just one school generates.. the busses, the teachers, the many parents driving their kids to school... multiply that by the number of schools and its easy to see why the traffic diminishes over the summer.

In the summer, my husband can leave at 7:05 or so and still be fine..

Old 02-24-2008, 03:46 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,822,398 times
I still don't understand why parents must drive their kids to school. Mine required us to take the bus and I was fine with that!

Old 02-24-2008, 05:53 PM

347 posts, read 933,963 times
Seeing pictures of the areas off Capital Boulevard and assuming everything in North Raleigh looks like that is like looking at a picture of 495/395 in DC and thinking all of Virginia looks like that

Well I think it does represent Northern Va .

Tired, I moved down form the Dale City/Woodbridge area 5 years ago and now live in Fuquay. Think Stafford in 1970....

Old 02-24-2008, 05:56 PM

347 posts, read 933,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
I still don't understand why parents must drive their kids to school. Mine required us to take the bus and I was fine with that!
It is a personal choice,

I drop off my daughter because it is on the way to work, it only costs me an extra 10 minutes and gives her an extra 20 minutes in the morning.

If it was too inconvenient, her tail would be on the bus

Old 02-24-2008, 07:20 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,577,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
A friend of mine is a teacher at Wakefield Elem. and she said that almost half of the student's parents spend the entire day with them because they're too scared to leave the children alone by themselves.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:27 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
A friend of mine is a teacher at Wakefield Elem. and she said that almost half of the student's parents spend the entire day with them because they're too scared to leave the children alone by themselves.
That's interesting. They're not allowed to do that at our Cary Elementary school. Why don't the teachers just kick the parents out? I would feel very uncomfortable with the thought of parents hanging out in the classroom.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
That's interesting. They're not allowed to do that at our Cary Elementary school. Why don't the teachers just kick the parents out? I would feel very uncomfortable with the thought of parents hanging out in the classroom.

Are you sure? Somebody once told me they can't keep you out, because they are public schools.. this was 10+ years ago though..

Old 02-24-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Can you please elaborate? Every day? Half the parents??

Old 02-24-2008, 08:09 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
No, they can't keep you out, but they do have policies in place to prevent parents from being disruptive to the class and the teacher (like hanging out all day in a class on a regular basis.)

Old 02-24-2008, 08:23 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of VA and DC View Post
That is very true but I am looking for a REAL change when I move on down, not just a change of address. I will freely admit that I am now focusing my attentions on cow country when I come down this weekend, but I am still going to dedicate a day to the Wake Forest area to give it its due.

Have any pictures of Fuquay Varina? Loved it the last time I was there and want to see more.

Seriously, you could do the picture thing for a living. As someone looking from out of state, a picture is worth a thousand words.

PS - As for the cell tower/tree, ever been to Jersey? Trust me when you have those things every four feet, the fake tree look is a lot better than an ugly antenna.
You should learn your lesson from NoVA. Moving to cow country today will only mean cookie cutters in your future as the area expands around you. Wake Forest used to only be a cute historic town. Now, many parts around Wake Forest look like the photos in this post. Now, for those who like that, terrific. But, for those who don't.....well, you figure it out.
If you want a real "change" move inside the beltline or live in very near North Raleigh where the 'hoods' are more established and not cookie cutter. That's just my 2cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary