Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 02:25 PM

183 posts, read 671,675 times

Advertisements

Depending on which part of Clayton you live in and how the traffic is, I'd say you could probably make it to Rex in about 25 minutes. Morning or afternoon commute would, of course, be a bit longer.

To add what everyone else has said, I've lived in Clayton now for almost 6 years and I love it here. My family considered moving once, decided to stay and just get a different house in the area, and haven't looked back! Great schools, fairly convenient to most things...just a great town in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 08:21 PM

850 posts, read 3,625,969 times
We have lived in Clayton for over 2 years now (from NJ but I'm an Ohio girl at heart.....spent my childhood there!) I have also heard the rumors about JC memorial but we've been there several times (it was a banner summer with our boys) and had no issues at all.

There are so many different areas that you'll really need to drive around and see what you like. If you share what you are looking for and a price range, folks might be able to put some neighborhoods on your list to drive through.

We live in the Archer Lodge section of Clayton. This area is outside of the Clayton town limits so currently there are no city taxes and other townships are handling the mail. So you can find homes listed in Selma, Wendell and Zebulon in this area, all going to the Clayton schools. Eventually, these areas will be annexed in to one town or another. Archer Lodge is currently trying to incorporate so we may be our own town. If you ever need more info on this, just holler.

I also recommend renting, even though it means moving twice. We sold our home and put everything into POD storage and rented. Slept on air mattresses and bought hanging dividers for drawers for the closets along with some other basic stuff while we hunted for "areas" we liked. Once we found Clayton, we found a local realtor and from there found our home. You can interview the schools in the areas you like to make sure you like the principals,etc. We love our principal and how the entire school is run!

Good luck! There's so much to obsess over so have fun with it and we're here to help if we can (those of us who have been through it).

Lauren

Old 11-05-2008, 05:22 AM

13 posts, read 25,382 times
We do plan on renting, any help on where to look for information on renting in the clayton area?

Another question, how many high schools are within a 30 minute commute?

Old 11-05-2008, 09:47 AM

516 posts, read 1,888,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye40 View Post
We do plan on renting, any help on where to look for information on renting in the clayton area?
I just signed a lease in Clayton (I move in in 2 weeks), so I've been there very recently. It's a bit tough, but there are a few resources.

First, try Craigslist - that's where I found my house, and there were plenty of other listings as well.

Also, look at the Clayton News-Star - they have a few rentals in their ads every week.

While looking, I also used Home Towne Realty and Clayton Residential Rentals.

If you can actually GO there for a couple days, you can drive around town and see all the privately listed rentals as well - there's a bunch.

I ended up renting from Ridgway Realty in Wendell - I'm pretty sure they have other stuff in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye40 View Post
Another question, how many high schools are within a 30 minute commute?
There's 6 high schools in Johnston County and 23 in Wake. Although the northern part of Wake may be more than a half-hour commute, I would bet that most of them would be close enough. Call it half, and you have 18 to choose from

Old 11-05-2008, 03:42 PM

615 posts, read 1,503,628 times
We rented in Clayton for 1 year last year while house-hunting. The best sources are Craigslist and Clayton Residential Rentals for a house rental.

For more short term leases(3-9 months) at a nice condo/apt complex with great amenities, try Abberly Place in Garner(about 10 minutes from Clayton). My friend is renting there now and loves it. Its a beautiful complex with very strict guidelines as far as tenants..so you know your neighbors are going not going to be bad-news and nice. They have 1, 2 and 3 BR units.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:51 PM

13 posts, read 25,382 times
Thank you for all the useful info, any other info would be appreciated for our search.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:12 AM

19 posts, read 59,316 times
buckeye here's another great link to find jobs:

http://www.raleighrealestate.com/jobs (broken link)

good luck!

Old 11-07-2008, 07:53 AM

12 posts, read 38,344 times
With the new Bypass, even the eastern side of Clayton is within a thirty minute commute to any of the Major Hospitals in Raleigh. I have been here for nearly 10 years and the drive into Raleigh has become much easier recently. I think the answer to your earlier question about the hospital in Smithfied is that there are so many hospitals in Raleigh that are rated so well, have more modern construction and partnerships with much larger and more prestigeous hospitals like Duke and Wake Med that it has made it hard to compete. Most of the smaller hospitals have been absorbed by the larger ones as a cash flow management strategy. I have even heard that Johnston Health may be partnering up with a larger medical school in the near future. Who Knows... the main thing is that the growth in that employment sector is significant and Job security and advancement should not be a problem. Here is a link About Johnston Medical Center (http://www.johnstonhealth.org/aboutus.htm - broken link).
The

Old 11-07-2008, 08:26 AM

Smile Hospitals and Schools

With the new Bypass, even the eastern side of Clayton is within a thirty minute commute to any of the Major Hospitals in Raleigh. I have been here for nearly 10 years and the drive into Raleigh has become much easier recently. I think the answer to your earlier question about the hospital in Smithfied is that there are so many hospitals in Raleigh that are rated so well, have more modern construction and partnerships with much larger and more prestigeous hospitals like Duke and Wake Med that it has made it hard to compete. Most of the smaller hospitals have been absorbed by the larger ones as a cash flow management strategy. I have even heard that Johnston Health may be partnering up with a larger medical school in the near future. Who Knows... the main thing is that the growth in that employment sector is significant and Job security and advancement should not be a problem. Here is a link About Johnston Medical Center (http://www.johnstonhealth.org/aboutus.htm - broken link).
In answer to your question about the schools, I think they are great! I have a 15 year old that thrives at Clayton High and a 12 year old that does exceptionally well at Riverwood Middle school. I Know there is a newer High school off of Raleigh Road (may be a Four Oaks Adress) and the previous post was correct. New schools are the norm for now. Te biggest advantage I see to the school system here is the stability and I have had no re assignments in the 9 years we have lived here. Wake county seems to always be in flux and you never know where your kids will be assigned in the next year.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:35 AM

Browningrealty.com usually has some really nice single family rentals. Generally fresh paint and carpet with a nice yard. Depending on your budgett there are even a few new homes that builders offer for rent, or a lease with option may be a good choice. This way if you rent a home that you end up really liking you would not have to move twice and your rent could go toward an eventual down payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary