Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:03 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,733,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I understand. Good question. Don't know, but I limited the search to "Chapel Hill" which should deliver just like the mail.
Chapel Hill has a huge number of zones on the MLS.

I didn't really go through all the listings.
Wow! Then I bet these 18 are spread over those 4 school districts. So if the OP is looking for Ch/C schools is probably less than 18. That's a huge difference in terms of volume compared to the Cary for that price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 8 days ago)

43,088 posts, read 76,670,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Wow! Then I bet these 18 are spread over those 4 school districts. So if the OP is looking for Ch/C schools is probably less than 18. That's a huge difference in terms of volume compared to the Cary for that price range.
FWIW, I did the same with Cary, but of course we are talking Wake County Schools. But the USPS is not 100% in sync with Wake County municipality jurisdictions either.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:08 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,488,629 times
Ok so let me just say a couple of things in response to the responses to my post!

1. Alright, loathe was too strong. It's true. But the point remains--people in CH think Cary is too suburban, too cookie cutter, etc. Not big fans from what I have heard people say. I am sure there are exceptions. Same goes for those in Cary toward CH--too "dirty", too many college kids, not enough "newer" houses, too liberal, etc. I'm not trying to criticize either, just point out that generally those who really like one don't really like the other. From talking to people who looked at both. So sorry about the word "loathe" but still the basic point is there--for many in CH the whole giant suburban thing is really a big negative in lifestyle. To many in Cary (and elsewhere) it is a huge plus as a safe, child-friendly place to raise children.

2. I did not say there were no big box stores or chains in CH. There are a few but aren't seen as a great thing and zoning doesn't allow many. Some areas embrace them, others don't. Again, not a negative that Cary embraces them. I've seen plenty of people see that as a huge plus. If you live in CH and want to go to Target it's a hike. That's a plus to those who don't like big box and a con to those who want the convenience of one right there. Some people love lots of them nearby, others don't. In general, you'll go to Durham for most (not all) big box/chains. Just pointing out some differences and some reasons people like (or don't like) CH (or Cary).

Old 11-03-2008, 09:17 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,256,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Ok so let me just say a couple of things in response to the responses to my post!

1. Alright, loathe was too strong. It's true. But the point remains--people in CH think Cary is too suburban, too cookie cutter, etc. Not big fans from what I have heard people say. I am sure there are exceptions. Same goes for those in Cary toward CH--too "dirty", too many college kids, not enough "newer" houses, too liberal, etc. I'm not trying to criticize either, just point out that generally those who really like one don't really like the other. From talking to people who looked at both. So sorry about the word "loathe" but still the basic point is there--for many in CH the whole giant suburban thing is really a big negative in lifestyle. To many in Cary (and elsewhere) it is a huge plus as a safe, child-friendly place to raise children.

2. I did not say there were no big box stores or chains in CH. There are a few but aren't seen as a great thing and zoning doesn't allow many. Some areas embrace them, others don't. Again, not a negative that Cary embraces them. I've seen plenty of people see that as a huge plus. If you live in CH and want to go to Target it's a hike. That's a plus to those who don't like big box and a con to those who want the convenience of one right there. Some people love lots of them nearby, others don't. In general, you'll go to Durham for most (not all) big box/chains. Just pointing out some differences and some reasons people like (or don't like) CH (or Cary).
This is probably a pretty accurate assessment. I live in Carrboro (right next to Chapel Hill) and really enjoy living here. Cary is the last part of the Triangle I would live in for many of the reasons you mention in your post.

I do think that Chapel Hill and Carrboro are probably a little too restrictive in terms of allowing new development, but I don't mind driving to Durham when I need the big box stores.

On the whole, Cary is simply boring! It does have a nice little downtown area, though.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:27 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,674,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
This is probably a pretty accurate assessment. I live in Carrboro (right next to Chapel Hill) and really enjoy living here. Cary is the last part of the Triangle I would live in for many of the reasons you mention in your post.

I do think that Chapel Hill and Carrboro are probably a little too restrictive in terms of allowing new development, but I don't mind driving to Durham when I need the big box stores.

On the whole, Cary is simply boring! It does have a nice little downtown area, though.
Again, it's fine that you find Cary boring, but that doesn't make it boring. I was never bored in Cary. I pretty much agree with frogandtoad's assesment too and would guess that there's not a lot of overlap. I agree with whoever recommended spending a couple of days in both areas.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:06 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 8 days ago)

43,088 posts, read 76,670,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
Again, it's fine that you find Cary boring, but that doesn't make it boring. I was never bored in Cary. I pretty much agree with frogandtoad's assesment too and would guess that there's not a lot of overlap. I agree with whoever recommended spending a couple of days in both areas.
Right. But I believe that Boredom is a very personal choice.
I don't know why folks choose it, but it seems to be fairly popular.
When one has an overriding interest in life and fascination with the world, boredom is seldom a concern.

The advice to spend a couple of days in each town is good.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:29 AM

945 posts, read 1,968,033 times
Quote:
2. I did not say there were no big box stores or chains in CH.
Ummm........looks like that is not the case.

Quote:
Chapel Hill does not allow the big box stores,

Quote:

Just pointing out some differences and some reasons people like (or don't like) CH (or Cary).
Now this part I agree with. I do not loathe Chapel Hill, but I would not be caught dead living there. It has to be one of the most boring towns have ever seen. Nothing to do and everything is a drive. Everything is so spread out that it is a hassle and not very Earth friendly. Forcing people to have to drive everywhere, burning gas and polluting is not very progressive. The pricing in Chapel Hill does not seem to be in line with what it offers. Overall, Chapel Hill is not very pleasant to look at either...IMO. I like choice, cleanliness, organization and open & welcoming people. That really does not describe Chapel Hill at all.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:53 AM

16 posts, read 46,587 times
I live in west cary and like it very much. Also, anyone with 3 kids is not going to be bored. I also don't care for the way CH looks. But I like new and clean looking. Also the school problems have calmed down alot especially in west cary area. I live in Cary Park.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:31 AM

162 posts, read 733,311 times
We did spend a few days in both CH & Cary.

I am actually torn between the 2. I like the organization, suburban, clean look of Cary. I do need to go to Target often with my family of 5. Chain restaurants are fine too. The Wake Co schools are what scare me about Cary.

However I liked Chapel Hill for the peace of mind & quality of the schools. I don't want bussing or reassignment & in CH that would not be a concern like in Wake. I liked the vibe in CH. Being from NYC I like the artsy scene & local markets.

I do not loathe one or the other..To me there are good things about each & I just can't seem to choose. We are coming down in another week to look again.....

Thanks for all the posts & keep em coming!

Old 11-04-2008, 08:47 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,752,939 times
Chapel Hill has free public buses. They cover most of the town. The newer ones are hybrid. That's pretty earth friendly, if you ask me.

My car has 29,000 miles on it. I've had it 5 years. I can walk to a grocery store, coffee shop and a pizza place. I take a bus to work. I can walk from one end of the downtown area to the other in about 20 minutes. So, I guess I'd have to disagree that I live in a car-dependent town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary