Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Looking for job hunting and schooling advice in the Triangle area, husband works as facilities technician, HVAC, maintenance, facilities operations experience, looking for places to apply for jobs

Old 02-20-2007, 02:07 PM

95 posts, read 286,564 times

Advertisements

My husband, son, and I are planning our relocation to the Triangle area in June. We will be there in April house hunting. We are now looking for employment. I am a teacher and don't think I will have too difficult of a time getting a job. It is less work for me to job hunt as there are less places to apply.

My question is in regards to my husband's job. Here in California he is a Facilities Technician III for a local government agency. He is in charge of all maintenance and repair of the grounds and facilities (80+ employees). He also oversees repairs on the fleet vehicles. He trains and supervises several employees each year. He works with many vendors ordering supplies. He deals with subcontractors for work done outside of his place of employment. He worked in a group to plan and build a city park in 2004. Education wise he has about 21 units of industrial education including a certificate in HVAC. He would like to go further and get his AS or BS but it is not available here. That is one of the reasons we are going, so he can move up in his field. What I am wondering is where to apply? We have already applied at the school districts and looking at county and state agencies. We would like to find out who does the maintenance in the buildings in RTP, such as IBM, etc. Are there many Federal buildings there? Also, any other ideas as to where to apply.

Any feedback is GREATLY appreciated! It certainly would be easier if he could get a job before we relocate.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 02:29 PM

250 posts, read 1,245,590 times
Have you tried the municipalities? The pay might not be out of this world, but the benefits are relatively good and the jobs stable. I work for a local municipality and might be able to help you identify some opportunities (send you links to job listings, etc.) PM me with your job requirements (e.g., pay range) and resume and I'll see what I can do.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:38 PM

653 posts, read 2,986,089 times
I can't help your husband, but I might be able to help you, at least if you're going to be teaching in Wake County. I transferred my FL teaching license here when we relocated 3 years ago, and as you suspected, it was pretty easy to find a job, since the area is growing rapidly. You may already have these sites, but if not, these will get you started:

To get your NC license, or transfer an out of state license:

www.teach4nc.com

To apply for a position in Wake County:

www.wcpss.net

You can also call human resources to get more info, and there is a job fair in April. If your application is already on file, that makes it easier for a principal to hire you on the spot, although you don't have to wait for the job fair to interview. You can also contact principals before your application is complete. You'll want to get your signed/sealed letters of rec before you leave, the forms are in the online application. Otherwise you'll be mailing them back and forth, which I ended up doing.

Good luck!

Old 02-20-2007, 06:33 PM

4 posts, read 19,399 times
I moved here with a NC teaching license last year and thought it would be easy for me to find a job. I went to the job fair and arrived early, but with the amount of applicants there and the small number of interview spots, I was only able to hand out resumes. I also went to every high school in Wake County towards the end of summer. End the end I ended up being offered a teaching job in Mebane (about an hour from where I'm living). There are a lot of schools here, but there are so many teachers applying there isn't as much of a demand as there is in surrounding counties. You may have better luck with your experience. I was fresh out of college with no experience other than student teaching. You may want to look at the surrounding counties as well. Wouldn't hurt to have a back up. Best of luck to you and your husband!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary