Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 12:51 AM

81 posts, read 301,386 times

Advertisements

I'm from CA and around here we have an "Adopt a Highway" program. Organizations, corporations, and individuals donate funds that pay for a particular stretch of roadway to be cleaned up on a regular basis. In turn, donors are recognized by a sign at the side of the road (and I'm sure they receive tax breaks). Does NC have such a program?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 06:33 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xochousewife View Post
I'm from CA and around here we have an "Adopt a Highway" program. Organizations, corporations, and individuals donate funds that pay for a particular stretch of roadway to be cleaned up on a regular basis. In turn, donors are recognized by a sign at the side of the road (and I'm sure they receive tax breaks). Does NC have such a program?
Yes we do....but it all depends on how often the groups actually does it. There doesn't seem to be much oversight.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:35 AM

693 posts, read 2,761,051 times
Well this seems to be getting worse, and fast. This morning I saw a lot more trash along I-40 than I ever did since I moved here

Old 02-23-2007, 07:44 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
Thanks for all the replies.I am sorry to hear my observation was not a fluke or "accidental spill" or something ,,and it is a continuing problam..So much pride,new growth,and charm to many areas we saw.I do hope those who dont care get it in the wallet one of these days.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:09 AM

102 posts, read 271,378 times
I don't know if Raleigh area has a community work program for prisoners, but they should have them pick up the trash along the highways. Also, maybe the State and local PD need to crack down on littering. This is coming from an ex-cop. Around here its a $250 fine and it's enforced. I definitely did anyway.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:36 PM

122 posts, read 488,369 times
The CA cleanup program isn't just for prisoners but also those who have minor violations and slapped with community service hours. Young people who are caught making grafitti, littering, etc... are also forced to work hours cleaning up beaches, removing grafitti and cleaning litter from the highways. The grafitti problem in many areas appears to be improving. NC must have a similar program I would think most states would.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:38 PM

553 posts, read 2,332,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Sorry,your right,,Ugly/chocolate = harsh words.I really did like how there was no housing crowding around the lake as we saw in Charlotte,it was all protected there,or seemed to be..I used to live in Oregon,so I should not assume all lakes look like that...My gator thought was because I visited the aquarium by Carolina beach and they really spooked me

I am from Northern California. Since Ugly chocolate is an opinion not a fact I disagree with desdemona and agree with you. Most lakes around here have ugly water but ugly water can still be okay. We are just used to Alpine water with 100 foot+ visibility.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:41 PM

553 posts, read 2,332,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBOUND123 View Post
The CA cleanup program isn't just for prisoners but also those who have minor violations and slapped with community service hours. Young people who are caught making grafitti, littering, etc... are also forced to work hours cleaning up beaches, removing grafitti and cleaning litter from the highways. The grafitti problem in many areas appears to be improving. NC must have a similar program I would think most states would.

Perhaps I should take pictures of all the trash on the highways and place them in multiple North Carolina relocation magazines. Do you think that would get the attention of our city's leadership?

Old 02-23-2007, 11:48 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
We spent the last 5 days visiting for the first time.I had pre conceived ideas of Cary as ugly and sterile and I went there kicking and screaming as I insisted we were NOT going to live in such a Stepford-stripmall-sub division place,,,weeelllll,,It was nice,very nice.It may have been one of the CLEANEST towns I have ever seen,,,visited Cary Academy and was wowed.Was a very nice community from an observers view point(its on my list now),,I am not a "sub division gal",,but Cary was very nice...LOVED Chapel Hill,charming,beautiful University,nice town,,but our $$ did not buy a whole lot in MY desired area (around Franklin and UNC) thought the areas we were steered to were not that great (FOR US) The Preserve( pretty dull looking,,whats there besides the sub division?) and Jordan Lake area,a little too remote,,and I am sorry,but I am having trouble with those BROWN CHOCOLATE lakes,,spooky and ugly,,,how many gators are in there??? Hillsborough was nice, small,but very nice.Stayed at the Millinium Hotel in Durham which was nice,,,and most importantly,,the people we met all over were LOVELY,,very nice,sweet,I so enjoyed meeting you!!.....We visited Willmington,,,wonderful Historic district,,but not so great in many other areas,,,,,,the rest of the time at Wrightsville Beach...Great!!! and we had that big,clean white sand beach to ourselves,,yes I KNOW its not like that usually so it was nice to sight see during that time...all in all,you are very nice folks in that part of the state,,,,and SHAME on the people who litter the hi -ways,,,,tsk,,,I have only seen that much road side trash in NY!! and that city is HUGE compared to your population,,,,,who is doing that???

I agree the trash on the roads are horrible! I've been living in the west for a number of years and I haven't seen trash on the roads like that since NY. I sure hope they start doing something about this. What's wrong with people?

Old 02-24-2007, 01:11 AM

245 posts, read 765,622 times
Default trash

To be fair, N.C. has litterers from all walks of life. I used to live in the older section of Cary, Webster street to be exact. Many of my neighbors were members of a recent group of immigrants that shall remain nameless. From personal observation, I can say that they litter with the best of 'em. I'm not saying that they're worse than anybody else, just that the litter problem can't be attributed to any one group... at least in the triangle area. Just my two cents worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary