U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 07:14 AM

51 posts, read 220,781 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else do dog rescue in the Triangle? I have a wonderful foster dog and I can't believe how little interest I'm getting in her. Hope is perfect - small, female, healthy, calm, incredibly sweet and well-behaved, LOVES everyone, housebroken, etc. I previously did rescue in CT and would have been swamped with applications for a dog like this up there. I know things are going to be slower for rescue down here since pet overpopulation is a greater problem. I'm still surprised by just how little interest I'm getting in this dog. Is everyone noticing a slowdown in adoptions right now? Do you think it is the economy or do you notice an annual slowdown here in November due to Thanksgiving travels, etc.? Or maybe her name is to suggestive of Obama and turning off Republicans?

I am being kind of restrictive in potential homes for this girl in that she needs to have her people around during the day. She isn't destructive when alone or anything, she just pines by the door looking for them until they get back. Could that be why I'm not getting interest? I thought surely there would be enough stay at home parents, retirees, etc. in the Triangle that she'd still find a home quickly.

On a related note, this dog would be an amazing therapy dog. Does anyone have any suggestions for local contacts to hook Hope up with someone that would do Animal Assisted Therapy with her?

Her Petfinder page is:
Adopt a Dachshund: Hope in NC: Petfinder
She is MUCH cute than her pictures. I've never met a dog that hated the camera so much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 07:24 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,507,922 times
Are you doing private rescuing, like just you? I've only done it through a group. I think you get much more exposure that way. I've fostered through 3 different rescues here and the great thing is that they pay the vet bills and get the word out - you just keep the dog and bring her to adoption events. I think if you hook up with an established group that you will find the exposure you are looking for because they have the name recognition and also can coordinate larger events.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:29 AM

467 posts, read 1,680,572 times
I haven't worked in rescue in NC, but did in MI, and find things to just be hit and miss. Not always much rhyme and reason about who went fast or slow. The restrictions could be part of the reason -so few people are home all day, and those who are may be leery of a dog who needs someone around, not really understanding what you're looking for.

When I fostered, placement was the hardest thing for me - it's hard to think that anyone could care for "my" dogs better than I could! I had to stop when I got a foster who wasn't adoptable, and will have to live w/ me forever. She's not a fan of other dogs, and the other two I have are mroe than enough for her, so we'll be on hiatus for awhile.

Thanks for doing what you do!

Old 11-05-2008, 08:31 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,474,840 times
What a beautiful dog! You should try and hook up with Independent Animal Rescue, they are based in Durham.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:36 AM

96 posts, read 449,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justusbarkers View Post
Does anyone else do dog rescue in the Triangle? I have a wonderful foster dog and I can't believe how little interest I'm getting in her. Hope is perfect - small, female, healthy, calm, incredibly sweet and well-behaved, LOVES everyone, housebroken, etc. I previously did rescue in CT and would have been swamped with applications for a dog like this up there. I know things are going to be slower for rescue down here since pet overpopulation is a greater problem. I'm still surprised by just how little interest I'm getting in this dog. Is everyone noticing a slowdown in adoptions right now? Do you think it is the economy or do you notice an annual slowdown here in November due to Thanksgiving travels, etc.? Or maybe her name is to suggestive of Obama and turning off Republicans?

I am being kind of restrictive in potential homes for this girl in that she needs to have her people around during the day. She isn't destructive when alone or anything, she just pines by the door looking for them until they get back. Could that be why I'm not getting interest? I thought surely there would be enough stay at home parents, retirees, etc. in the Triangle that she'd still find a home quickly.

On a related note, this dog would be an amazing therapy dog. Does anyone have any suggestions for local contacts to hook Hope up with someone that would do Animal Assisted Therapy with her?

Her Petfinder page is:
Adopt a Dachshund: Hope in NC: Petfinder
She is MUCH cute than her pictures. I've never met a dog that hated the camera so much.

Justusbarkers,

I have no answers for you, but I just wanted to say thank you so much for what you are doing. Her description just made my heart melt. If I was ready for a dog right now and didn't work all day, I'd be there for her. My neighbors have 2 dachshunds and they are such sweeties...

Old 11-05-2008, 04:26 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,844,189 times
What a beautiful dog! Thank you for all you do! It is appreciated.

I don't do rescue but know of many that foster in breed specific rescues and shelter adoptions. I'm hearing that the numbers are up in the shelters and rescue organizations. I have no statistics, just conversations from various (unrelated) friends.

How flexible are you on the staying home all day rule? Perhaps, you could filter that on a case by case basis. For example, a household that is structured with work and school schedules that would only call for the pup to be alone two or three hours? Perhaps, change the requirement to a maximum time alone?

Old 11-05-2008, 04:35 PM

Thanks for the kind words. I am with a group, but it isn't locally based. I'm not sure a local group would get me much more exposure. She's already on Petfinder, I've taken her to several dog events and she goes to various dog parks several times a week. Weather permitting, I take her just about everywhere with me and she wears an "Adopt Me" coat I made her.

She doesn't need to be with someone 24/7. It is just that the whole time her people are gone she waits at the door for them to get back.. She isn't destructive or anything, I just hate to think of her pining 40+ hrs a week.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:10 PM

145 posts, read 619,503 times
Awww, she is adorable. I have a Therapy Maltese dog and we are involved in these 2 yahoo groups you could post messages there.

raleightherapydogs : RaleighTherapyDogs

pawstiveconnectiontriangle : Pawsitiveconnectiontriangle

You could also post her info on craigslist if you haven't done that.

Also bring her out to the Unleashed Dog Store on Saturday from Noon - 4pm. Pet Foster Network will be out there and we are doing a presentation to them - Presents for Pets

Good luck and enjoy her, it's hard giving those fosters up, I do Maltese fostering for an out of state company as well and occasionally get them in and get attached!

Cindy

Old 11-05-2008, 05:53 PM

Thanks Cindy! Our adoption fee is a too high for craigslist (though it covers 2 vet exams, deworming, heartworm test and preventative, Frontline, rabies, bordatella, distemper/parvo vacc. and booster, microchip, spay, etc) I really appreciate the other resources though. I'd forgotten that dogs were allowed at the Flea Market.

You know I never have trouble giving up my fosters once I've found a good home for them. I always go in to it with the mindset that I'm dogsitting - I just haven't met the owner yet.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:25 PM

551 posts, read 2,174,362 times
I am a foster mom for Lab Rescue. We had a wonderful, adorable 2-year old this summer for four months.... all we had were some totally inappropriate applications for the longest time. We finally found his family in October!! Hang in there.

We put up flyers at our vet, our doggie daycare, the dog park, our employers. We walked him everywhere - flea market included - with an 'adopt me' t-shirt. Amazing how many people asked me if I was getting rid of my dog because I couldn't affford them all (I have two labs of my own).

Keep working on getting adorable pictures. And keep being picky! The perfect home is out there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary