Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2007, 11:06 AM

336 posts, read 1,495,704 times

Advertisements

possible move to the RTP area in my future. we're liberal people, outdoors people, we have young children so schools are important. we're looking to rent a single family home as close to the RTP as possible. i have heard great things about carrboro, but also know it's expensive, and perhaps further from the RTP than we want to be. any help would be great!!! thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 11:42 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,254 times
Well, based on commuting and nothing else, Durham is the best choice to live if you're working in RTP, hands down.
And it's a pretty liberal city, which is something else you'd like. It's also probably one of the least expensive cities in the Triangle region, which is also good.

However there are mixed opinions about their school system. On paper, the numbers make them look inferior to Raleigh/Cary/Wake or ChapelHill/Carrboro school systems. But if you go deeper in the numbers, you find that averages appear worse for Durham due to having a higher percentage of minority and lower-socioeconomic groups than the other local systems. (Eastern Durham has large areas of low-income homes.) So that skews the averages down...but once you separate the groups, you find per each race/socioeconomic group, Durham's is comparable, being on par with the others.

Carrboro/ChapelHill is great...but like you said, it's more expensive. The commute to RTP won't be as easy as from Durham, but it'd still be much easier than coming from Raleigh/Wake County areas. They're also smaller cities, so there's a tad less to choose from.

I guess it's all a balancing act of different things you need & want.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:30 PM

83 posts, read 352,394 times
If schools are important to you, check our www.ncreportcard.org.
The format compares schools across the state.
A large population of Cary works in RTP.
Lots of parks with trails in the area in addition to several lakes for outdoor activities.
Come for a visit - you will love it!

Old 02-21-2007, 09:17 PM

229 posts, read 1,054,271 times
Most of the folks in RTP that are looking for a quality education and short commute live in Cary. The road expansion is complete so the commute is no longer difficult.

I used to live on the border of Carborro..Great town, good schools.......What are the things that are most important to you in this move?

Old 02-22-2007, 05:44 AM

336 posts, read 1,495,704 times
tracy,

thanks for the response. right now we live in atlanta, and my husband's commute is awful. we want to be as close to the RTP as we can, but being in a safe area with good schools. i am sure we would love the feel of carrboro, being liberal people that like to walk around an artsy type of downtown. but, i know it is expensive, and i think the commute might be too far. we're hoping to be within a 10 minute drive of the RTP. thanks!!

Old 02-22-2007, 06:38 AM

Yeah, Cary is about as close to RTP as southern Durham, but I still think the traffic going in from there is worse than from Durham. (Also most liberal folks I'm friends with who ever lived in Cary left as fast as they could...so make of that what you will.)

Old 02-22-2007, 09:33 AM

693 posts, read 2,761,051 times
Either Cary (west part) or Durham would give you the commute you're looking for. Make sure you visit both in person and spend time there because those are two very different towns. Unfortunately you won't find "artsy type of downtown." in either one. I would pick Cary hands down, I love Cary but that's just my own opinion.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:41 AM

Default artsy downtowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener View Post
Either Cary (west part) or Durham would give you the commute you're looking for. Make sure you visit both in person and spend time there because those are two very different towns. Unfortunately you won't find "artsy type of downtown." in either one.
Er...I very much disagree on that point. Durham does indeed have that (not as much as Carrboro/ChapelHill, or even Raleigh, but it's definitely there). Brightleaf District, American Tobacco Historic complex, Carolina Theatre (& its many film fests), Ninth Street, Centerfest, the upcoming new Performing Arts Auditorium, American Dance Festival, etc....I think those are areas & facilities that would offer them that type of atmosphere in a very decent amount, for sure.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:20 PM

157 posts, read 617,349 times
Durham is your best bet as far as commute, specifically South Durham. Everyone and their mother comes from the East (Raleigh, Cary)to work at RTP and it's only going to get worse...Although Cary is closer, I would think that leaving Cary itself would add some time in your commute as it is very populated and only getting worse...I agree with GrassIsGreener as you would need to visit both to see what you like...Carrboro is very cool as it has a "hippy" feel to the place...More of a commute and pricey but you can find places there for reasonable prices...I live in South Durham and bike to work at RTP everyday (15-25 minute ride each way depending on how fast I feel like going). Durham is my choice but to each it's own...

Old 02-23-2007, 07:27 PM

21 posts, read 123,401 times
We live in Apex and we love it. It is just 10 minute to Cary and it is now taking me only 20 min to RTP since Hwy 55 is opening up to 4 lanes. We have the small town feel with convenience:we have SuperTarget, Old Navy, Lowes, Chilis and other great restaurants around as well as movie theatre. I notice that there are a lot of North Easterners are moving into the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary