Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 04:23 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaLakn View Post
Thank you. Yes, Fidelity relocated us from MA last November. Hope your family wont be affected by round 2.

It was mostly employees within the Principal, Director and VP job grade. Principals are not upper management though. My dh was a principal software engineer/systems analyst, an average Joe ... with a very average salary to prove it Severence + extras should carry us about 9 months, medical etc. till May. Plus he'll still receive the tuition reimbursement for his last 2 classes needed to obtain his masters.

Still, it sucks BIG time. As I mentioned, weve only been in NC for a year, so no real support system in place.
I'm surprised to hear it was IT related. Those are about the only type of jobs they are posting these days. That being said it seems like a lot of entry level posts. Sorry about your news. Glad you got 9 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 08:52 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,156,880 times
you arent allowed to have unemployment. we're moving there looking for jobs! ::looks around sternly::

Old 11-12-2008, 08:59 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,081 times
Fidelity isn't done yet.

Sony Ericsson laid off more than half of their workforce a month or two ago.
I think Glaxo Smith Kline laid off a bunch of people.
Nortel...

These are scary times.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:14 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,863,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCrash View Post
Fidelity isn't done yet.

Sony Ericsson laid off more than half of their workforce a month or two ago.
I think Glaxo Smith Kline laid off a bunch of people.
Nortel...

These are scary times.

what is really scary is that Fidelity have laid off people they relocated to RTP a year ago and they may well have thought that they would be safe from any restructuring and took on bigger financial comittments than they otherwise would have done. Also, as someone else mentioned they would not have had time to build any support networks in this area which is even more stressful - very scary times indeed

Old 11-13-2008, 09:38 AM

767 posts, read 1,847,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaLakn View Post
Well, Fidelity had their first round of layoffs today. Not sure of the numbers, but it affected NC employees, incl my Dh
He should a much better than average chance of finding a position because he is in IT. So sorry about the layoff...I have been there and it doesn't feel good! All the best to you!

Have him check out the state...ITS would be worth a look.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:17 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
what is really scary is that Fidelity have laid off people they relocated to RTP a year ago and they may well have thought that they would be safe from any restructuring and took on bigger financial comittments than they otherwise would have done. Also, as someone else mentioned they would not have had time to build any support networks in this area which is even more stressful - very scary times indeed
Yes. Sony Ericsson did something similar. They hired about a dozen engineers away from Nokia in Irving TX (I was one of them) to come here to RTP. That was 2-3 years ago. Nearly all of them were laid off last month (again. . . including me).

They had just finished installing brand new office furniture on all floors of their building. The cubicles were sized smaller so that they could jam more people into the same space. Facilities was told that they needed to fit lots more people in the building because of anticipated hiring. They were considering restriping the parking lot to make the spaces smaller to fit more cars. Now that building sits half empty.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:23 PM

http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/1292572.html (broken link)

Old 11-13-2008, 05:42 PM

108 posts, read 347,582 times
MammaLakn, I feel your pain. Fidelity relo'd us here from MA in October 2007 through my husband's job. (I worked there too but my group would not relo me so I had to quit). Two weeks after we got here (yes, 2 weeks) they laid him off. Good times. We knew no one here and had no idea what were were going to do. Fortunately, the week before Xmas he landed another position within the company - only to be laid off again 5 months later. Yep, laid off from Fido twice in six months. The second time at least we were prepared and he was relieved to be out of there. Fidelity certainly isn't the same company that I grew up hearing about. Now, my husband is back at his old company (but in the NC office) and I've had to take a night job to make ends meet. Thanks Fidelity! Fortunately, we wanted to move here so we look at it as them paying for us to get out of MA. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the new headquarters to be built. Seems pretty unlikely at this point!

Old 11-13-2008, 05:54 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
MammaLakn, I feel your pain. Fidelity relo'd us here from MA in October 2007 through my husband's job. (I worked there too but my group would not relo me so I had to quit). Two weeks after we got here (yes, 2 weeks) they laid him off. Good times. We knew no one here and had no idea what were were going to do. Fortunately, the week before Xmas he landed another position within the company - only to be laid off again 5 months later. Yep, laid off from Fido twice in six months. The second time at least we were prepared and he was relieved to be out of there. Fidelity certainly isn't the same company that I grew up hearing about. Now, my husband is back at his old company (but in the NC office) and I've had to take a night job to make ends meet. Thanks Fidelity! Fortunately, we wanted to move here so we look at it as them paying for us to get out of MA. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the new headquarters to be built. Seems pretty unlikely at this point!
How terrible!

Old 11-15-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Another 1,700 jobs will be cut early next year at Fidelity Investments, bringing to 3,000 the total number of positions eliminated as the Boston-based financial giant deals with the aftershocks of the subprime-mortgage fiasco.

Fidelity, which last week acknowledged general layoff plans without giving details, began firing 1,300 workers earlier this week.

But Fidelity told nervous employees yesterday that the second round of cuts early next year will be even more severe, with an additional 1,700 positions slated for elimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary