Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:25 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,728,232 times

Advertisements

I just moved here, and I did find it somewhat miserable. But every place is air conditioned, and there are places one can go outdoors that stay reasonably cool even in the high heat such as hiking trails through the woods and the like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 08:40 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,331,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
I can say that the one activity I've found quite tolerable, even in the peak of summer, is cycling. As long as you're moving, the breeze helps keep you somewhat comfortable. The one thing I've learned, though, is that its best to avoid long traffic lights b/c just a minute of stopping and the sweat begins pouring. Also, I'd rather fix a flat in a cold rain than on a hot humid day! But seriously, all things considered, outside of watersports I think cycling is probably the best outdoor activity for summer in this area.
I always thought cyclist were crazy in the summer! I guess that would explain it then.

But I also wanted to say I have lived in NC for 21 years and still find the summers unbarable. Only time I like to be outside is if there is a pool or beach. Of course I'm a pet sitter so that isn't usually the case

Old 11-07-2008, 10:02 AM

447 posts, read 1,715,427 times
The main reason to stay inside during peak heat hours is the air quality goes in the toilet. This past summer, as mentioned was mild, the year before I actually had a few days where breathing was labor. I am fairly healthy and have no health problems, so that caused me to heed the Air Quality Warnings.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:14 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,945,720 times
The state has an free air quality e-mail forecast subscription service. They send you the forecast for the next day every afternoon. Pretty handy info for those with respiratory issues.

You can sign up here for a specific area of the state:

NCDENR - Division of Air Quality - Enviroflash

Old 11-08-2008, 02:26 AM

484 posts, read 1,364,398 times
Default summer

I just experienced my first Summer and I thought the humidity was very mild, Before moving here I was in AZ and before that in NJ where to me it was unbearable with humidity.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:40 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,148,669 times
If I can add my 2 cents... I've lived in NY/MA my whole life, and the summers here have days that are brutally hot and humid, but also a lot of days that are just too cold/rainy to do fun summer things. The possibility of having it be reliably hot during the summer, those nice warm summer night, the long spring/fall, and mild winter make it one of the best climate options I can think of. I wouldn't want to be a letter carrier, but if you plan on working inside, I don't see it being that bad.

One other thing I noticed when I was in Raleigh/Chapel Hill late last May: there are so many freakin' trees! Walking around in a city with shade everywhere is SO much better in the heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary