Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 12:44 PM

336 posts, read 1,495,324 times

Advertisements

which are considered to be the best public schools in durham county?? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 04:19 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaof2 View Post
which are considered to be the best public schools in durham county?? thanks!
There are many excellent schools. I don't know all of the best schools, but based on what I hear from co-workers and friends, I have heard that Hope Valley, Rogers-Herr, Durham School of the Arts, Jordan, Riverside, Hillandale, Morehead Montessori, Watts, Creekside, Pearson's gifted program... all have good reputations. Carrington and Shepard were just names National Schools to Watch by a middle-school advocacy group (just 2 of 8 middle schools in NC so named.) The magnet programs are also extremely popular and extensively used by Durhamites.

Please don't consider this a comprehensive list. The best bet if you're looking at a neighborhood in Durham is to talk to prospective neighbors (in person or via neighborhood listservs) about how happy they are with their school, what education their kids are getting, etc.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:19 PM

20 posts, read 161,896 times
The Best School In Durham Would Definetly Be Jordan High And Githens Middle School. I Go To Northern And It Is Really Bad With Gangs And Fights

Old 02-22-2007, 12:37 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
mamaof2, I too have been researching the Durham Public Schools. I found some helpful information from www.trianglemommies.com. Our kids are still in Elementary & Preschool and we plan on checking out Creekside, Hope Valley, Southwest, Pearsontown (year round). I hear the Montessori school (Morehead?) is great, but the Montessori model isn't the right fit for us. Some of the Northern Durham schools looked good too, but the location doesn't work for us. Good luck!

Old 02-22-2007, 11:55 AM

959 posts, read 4,492,274 times
I recently joined trianglemommies and was told Githens and Jordan were the best middle and high school. The zipcode 27713 which from what I've seen is referred to as "southwest durham" is mostly (or altogether?) in those schools. I was warned against any of the other high schools b/c of gang violence. Apparently Jordan has some teenagers who are gang members but their gang activity does not make it into the school.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:10 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
I recently joined trianglemommies and was told Githens and Jordan were the best middle and high school. The zipcode 27713 which from what I've seen is referred to as "southwest durham" is mostly (or altogether?) in those schools. I was warned against any of the other high schools b/c of gang violence. Apparently Jordan has some teenagers who are gang members but their gang activity does not make it into the school.
I was told my a realtor (not on this board) that in Durham County high school students can apply to go to other high schools w/in the county and that transfers are generally accepted. This guy said each high school has a speciality like computer technology and thats why you can transfer. HOWEVER, I have not confirmed that w/ the district. I'll let you know if I find out.

Also, this is the second comment I've heard about Githens being good. I was surprised because their test scores aren't that great. Test scores alone don't tell the whole story, but on paper it looks like Lowes Grove might be better. I plan to visit both. (Kids are still in Elementary but we hope the next house is IT until we retire.)

Old 02-22-2007, 03:54 PM

959 posts, read 4,492,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Also, this is the second comment I've heard about Githens being good. I was surprised because their test scores aren't that great. Test scores alone don't tell the whole story, but on paper it looks like Lowes Grove might be better. I plan to visit both. (Kids are still in Elementary but we hope the next house is IT until we retire.)
I've heard that Lowes Grove (middle school) has a "horrible gang problem". But also that the principal is very proactive in trying to get businesses involved in mentoring the children and helping with supplies in the hope it will distract them from gangs.

Check out this article from July 06 talking about how Hillside and Southern high schools might be closed b/c they are doing so badly. See excerpt below
http://www.newsobserver.com/689/story/456909.html (broken link)

This year, three of Durham's traditional high schools --Jordan, Northern and Riverside -- were named among the nation's best 1000, the top 5 percent, by Newsweek magazine. --considered to be the top 5 percent. But Hillside and Southern got a spot on Manning's list. They are the district's poorest and most segregated high schools.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:03 AM

5 posts, read 27,586 times
Default Look at your school's turnover rate

If you look at the NC report cards, what I would do is calculate the turnover for three years, which is one middle-school cycle. Lowe's Grove has improved its standing in the community tremendously, whereas Githens continues to have significant gang presence and behavioral issues. Just last year, students were regularly roaming the halls while bouncing basketballs, and entire grade levels were forced to eat lunch in their classrooms because serious lunchroom fights were breaking out.

When teachers are leaving in droves, your kids are stuck with long-term substitutes. In fact, at Githens the kids were often left with no subs at all. (Substitute teachers avoid working at Githens; there is a dire shortage.) Classes were "compressed;" this is when one teacher was forced to absorb another class. Being as classes were overcrowded anyway, we were left with one teacher to lead up to 64 students.

Use DPS' liberal transfer policy to your benefit. There ARE good middle schools in this district: Brogdon, DSA, Carrington, and Rogers-Herr are much safer, positive environments for all parties.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:43 PM

1,040 posts, read 3,601,450 times
don't forget about creekside elementary!

Old 08-15-2007, 02:50 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,192,551 times
We bought our house in Duke Forest in February and learned in March we were expecting our first child. We'd like to be in the house for a good long time, and our elementary school is Lakewood. It looks bad. what's the deal with Morehead Montessori? Is it admission based on lottery? Can someone say something about the Central Park School for Children? (I don't mind driving the kid to school when he gets to that age...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary