Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2008, 03:06 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,149,890 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Durham not long ago. I received my first vehicle tax notice. To my surprise it was very high. $175

Does anyone know why I got billed for Durham County tax, Durham City tax, and a Durham City vehicle fee when I do not live in the city?

I have lived in Wake before and never paid more than $80. I have a 2004 with 100K miles.

Does this make sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 04:50 PM

945 posts, read 1,971,952 times
Durham County Government : Motor Vehicle Taxation

Try the link above. It is to the Durham tax site. You can get info from there. Given the change in state and national dynamics, I would expect the rates to increase.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:17 PM

39 posts, read 128,178 times
You should file an appeal, that qualifies as high mileage.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:28 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
I'm not sure why you would be assessed a property tax for the City of Durham, since you indicated you do not live within city limits? For some reason, the county tax office thinks your address is within the borders of Durham city. I'd get that clarified first.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:06 PM

Spoke to Durham city. I am in District 1...even though far away from the city is considered Durham City. I am located in Brightleaf at the park..3 miles from wake county border. I noticed on the city zoning boundaries (durham website) all new sub divisions near my area are marked as city tax. I suppose they think people with new houses can afford a city tax. i am p issed off.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:29 PM

531 posts, read 1,982,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
Spoke to Durham city. I am in District 1...even though far away from the city is considered Durham City. I am located in Brightleaf at the park..3 miles from wake county border. I noticed on the city zoning boundaries (durham website) all new sub divisions near my area are marked as city tax. I suppose they think people with new houses can afford a city tax. i am p issed off.
No need to be p. o.'ed. Do you have city water and sewer? Does the city come around in big trucks and pick up your garbage? Then you are receiving city services, and that is why you pay more tax.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:57 PM

945 posts, read 1,971,952 times
Quote:

Durham keeps expanding the city limits in an effort to expand its tax base. You can buy outside the city limit this year and be in it next year. With such a high tax rate, it can really hurt.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat1of2 View Post
No need to be p. o.'ed. Do you have city water and sewer? Does the city come around in big trucks and pick up your garbage? Then you are receiving city services, and that is why you pay more tax.
I do receive those services but my car does not. I don't remember the last time my car needed a drink of water.

This is why I pay property taxes....to take care of sewer garbage etc.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:50 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
I do receive those services but my car does not. I don't remember the last time my car needed a drink of water.

This is why I pay property taxes....to take care of sewer garbage etc.
Your car tax is also property tax, personal property tax. It is based on book value of the vehicle and the millage set by the tax folks. (Durham tax site from EMA's link is not available, so I can't read it.)

If you buy a boat, you will pay personal property tax on it too.

Open a small business entity, and have the joy of inventorying your computers, software, vehicles, office furniture, etc, and paying property tax on all that stuff too.

When folks say local taxes are low, they need to account for personal property taxes in their calculation of "low."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary