Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:34 PM

3 posts, read 9,628 times

Advertisements

Unless the builder set the rule up front (and stick with it) for all houses in the neighborhood to have four-side bricks, paying so much more than other neighboring houses may not be a good investment.

Nonetheless, I do think all-brick houses are quieter and more energy efficient but I would hesitate to buy one unless all my neighbors also get that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,077 times
Question Why did so many homebuyers ever agree to this tackiness!?!?

I would sure like to know why there were ever so many buyers that were ok with this tacky “look” before it became so common?!?! How did American homebuyers become ok with such poor taste?! My husband & I just signed on a home that will have it at the front corners at the second floor (“to keep consistency throughout the neighborhood”) & I am disgusted about it. It’s the only nice neighborhood that prevents him from having a longer commute, so we are stuck with it because the first buyers accepted it. I thought we could just buy the same brick and have it fixed ourselves after we close, but just found out they actually build the 2nd floor cantilevered out over the 1st floor brick so the 2nd floor siding above will be flush w brick at the sides of the home. We had to initial drawings with a detail that showed the framing aligned rather than cantilevered, but then found out they add “neighborhood specific redlines” afterwards. The contract has a vauge line allowing them to make changes without notice (which of course they rejected when I marked through). I don’t understand how they aren’t being given #€// by more of their buyers over this kind of practice. I’m only going along with this because my husband insists on this neighborhood for future resale value due to location. I’d prefer to be happy enough with what we are getting to stay put for the rest of our lives. This is the only thing ruining that for me 

Old 04-11-2018, 12:51 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by objectivearch View Post
I would sure like to know why there were ever so many buyers that were ok with this tacky “look” before it became so common?!?! How did American homebuyers become ok with such poor taste?! My husband & I just signed on a home that will have it at the front corners at the second floor (“to keep consistency throughout the neighborhood”) & I am disgusted about it. It’s the only nice neighborhood that prevents him from having a longer commute, so we are stuck with it because the first buyers accepted it. I thought we could just buy the same brick and have it fixed ourselves after we close, but just found out they actually build the 2nd floor cantilevered out over the 1st floor brick so the 2nd floor siding above will be flush w brick at the sides of the home. We had to initial drawings with a detail that showed the framing aligned rather than cantilevered, but then found out they add “neighborhood specific redlines” afterwards. The contract has a vauge line allowing them to make changes without notice (which of course they rejected when I marked through). I don’t understand how they aren’t being given #€// by more of their buyers over this kind of practice. I’m only going along with this because my husband insists on this neighborhood for future resale value due to location. I’d prefer to be happy enough with what we are getting to stay put for the rest of our lives. This is the only thing ruining that for me 
Take all the brick off and replace it with wood siding if this is a single-family home. Problem solved.

I dislike brick front homes, too. I can somewhat deal with those that are 3-sides brick and wood in back, especially if they have screened porches and so forth off the back that would generally make the brick not necessary in back. I am also fine with homes that have brick or stone accents for a combination of those with wood siding. But, just that brick front? Looks cheap.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:08 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Take all the brick off and replace it with wood siding if this is a single-family home. Problem solved.
If the fronts are generally all brick in the neighborhood, the HOA might not allow you to change. Seems like most HOA communities require approval to make any modifications to the exterior. Heck, our old neighbors had a horror story because they didn't match up their paint color to exactly match and were being forced to repaint the entire house by the HOA.

I rode through Preston Village recently and laughed at the expensive homes there that had the brick-on-front-only thing going on. Just horrid.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:40 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
If a home with all 4 sides of brick is important to you, understand that it will add about $30,000 to the cost of the home. If you are willing to pay for that, build a custom built home or find a community that will allow you to change the home to brick. Just KNOW...you will NOT get that $30,000 back when it is time to sell.

Builders would be happy to charge you another $30,000 to $40,000 for that brick. Put your money where your mouth is!

Kinda reminds me of so many people wanting a basement. Builder says pay up $60,000 for that basement and all of a sudden, no one wants that basement.

If the first buyer pays that $60,000 because they want that unfinished basement, when it is time to sell, an appraiser will give that $60,000 basement only $10,000 in resale value. So, be prepared to lose $50,000 because YOU wanted that basement.

If you finish that basement and your first 2 floors are selling for $165 per square foot, you are not going to get that $165 per square foot. An appraiser is going to give you about $50 to $75 sq. ft. for that finished basement.

Why?

Not because the appraiser is making the rules but because most people will not pay for that basement or that brick, no matter how many folks on here claim that they want a home with 4 sides brick or a full basement. This just isn't what the average buyer in the market will pay for.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,077 times
I got a ballpark estimate for having a mason replace the siding at second floor on the sides with brick & it would have been around 5k including demo & working on scaffolding. I would gladly pay that. They just won’t do it.

It is correct that siding only would be even further from the “consistency” of the neighborhood. HOA would definitely not approve.

For a moment I contemplated tearing everything off at the sides after closing the purchase, pouring new brick ledge (doweling if necessary), somehow having large air space (& deep brick ties) at the first floor or adding furring to match the second floor, then bricking back over it all. Would make for deep window head/jamb/sills at the first floor, no big deal. But it would most likely cost way too much to make sense.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:25 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
I think it's so sad. I grew up in an all brick house in NC. I moved away to where brick was more expensive and houses were built with aluminum and then vinyl siding. Yuck!

Moved back to discover that all-brick houses are being painted. Yikes! So much more work to maintain!

So I guess I'll have to plan to live in older homes that are all brick and hope the one I want hasn't already been painted.

(My current home is wood siding).

Old 04-11-2018, 02:31 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
The current trend is stone instead of brick or painting your red brick, white. In which case, the brick then needs maintenance too.

I've shown buyers in neighborhoods that are all brick front and they say the red brick looks dated!!!

Old 04-11-2018, 08:03 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Painting perfectly good brick? Is this a Chip and Johanna thing?

Old 04-11-2018, 08:17 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,824,312 times
Does this impact cooling costs during the summer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary