Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 07:21 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times

Advertisements

Well now I just feel bad since my house has a total brick front ;-). I think it blends well with the composition board siding on the other sides of the house. I actually picked the brick front, since the other options were a mixture of stone vanner, fake wood shake looking material, etc. The brick looked more classy. If I was paying double for my house (at the time) I would have insisted it be brick on all sides, but I took the savings ;-).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 07:26 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Well now I just feel bad since my house has a total brick front ;-). I think it blends well with the composition board siding on the other sides of the house. I actually picked the brick front, since the other options were a mixture of stone vanner, fake wood shake looking material, etc. The brick looked more classy. If I was paying double for my house (at the time) I would have insisted it be brick on all sides, but I took the savings ;-).
Meh.
It is a siding. A trim.

I have partial brick front, having purchased from the original owners. Maybe I would or would not pick it, but I don't think it defines my limitations as a homo sapien.

More importantly to me?
1. We have a good floor plan.
2. We have lots of windows.
3. We have a couple of porches.
4. We have no HOA.

And, of course...

"Location. Location. Location."

Old 04-12-2018, 07:27 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
I'm with Waterboy! I don't think a brick front looks tacky, at all!

When we built our home, 27 years ago, we had the option of a brick front. It added $3,000 to the price of the home.

However, when WE build, we are always adding extras, as we go. This is our 5th house. And we used to move every 4 years so I didn't get the brick front, I got hardwoods in the kitchen instead. Who would have thought we'd still be in this house 27 years later?!!

I love the look of the lime wash!

Old 04-12-2018, 08:20 AM

171 posts, read 142,816 times
I think this is very subjective and can be very situational. In many neighborhoods houses are only 20' apart, which doesn't make the side yards a very useful space. I don't think brick is necessary in that situation, particularly since you likely have siding facing a neighbor who's house is completely siding. Brick is also such a dark material, and it's not easy to change colors for a refresh with the times. An entirely brick neighborhood usually doesn't appeal to me unless the lots are large. With lots less than 1/3 acre the brick houses can start blending together.

On the other hand, an all siding street doesn't necessarily have appeal either. In many neighborhoods the base material is siding. Brick or stone fronts are generally considered an upgrade and I think they add variety to the appearance of a street. My house has a couple of brick areas in the front and a several hardiplank sections. The brick faces the Public Space, the sidewalk, the ROW. The front siding is around the front door area, and at the side entry garage. To me it looks like a hardiplank house with brick accent panels to break up the facade and provide interest.

I don't necessarily associate aesthetic quality with the cost of the materials.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:17 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Meh.
It is a siding. A trim.

I have partial brick front, having purchased from the original owners. Maybe I would or would not pick it, but I don't think it defines my limitations as a homo sapien.

More importantly to me?
1. We have a good floor plan.
2. We have lots of windows.
3. We have a couple of porches.
4. We have no HOA.

And, of course...

"Location. Location. Location."
I like partial brick fronts.

I don't really care for a full front of brick because it looks like someone tried to trick folks into thinking they have a brick house. To me, anyway. I realize there are many reasons why someone might choose it, though.

It reminds me of a big slab that might just fall off the front in one, huge piece and wind up covering the front yard.

But, I have a whimsical imagination.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:31 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

I don't really care for a full front of brick because it looks like someone tried to trick folks into thinking they have a brick house. To me, anyway. I realize there are many reasons why someone might choose it, though.

It reminds me of a big slab that might just fall off the front in one, huge piece and wind up covering the front yard.

It doesn't bother me. There are a lot of things that people put on the front of their house for aesthetic purposes that they don't put on other sides. Shutters, extravagant doors, extravagant landscaping, no window screens, etc.

Maybe I'm weird, but brick on all sides looks "commercial/industrial" to me. Cheaping out doesn't even enter my mind.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:31 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OberlinSouth View Post

I don't necessarily associate aesthetic quality with the cost of the materials.
Usually goes hand in hand ... doesn’t take a super trained eye to see the differences ...

Quote:
First world problems . You have a house. Congrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post

Maybe I'm weird, but brick on all sides looks "commercial/industrial" to me.
Lol maybe you are...

Last edited by UserNamesake; 04-12-2018 at 09:39 AM..

Old 04-12-2018, 09:38 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
First world problems . You have a house. Congrats.
A very good point indeed and one that I remind myself of every day. It could always be a heck of a lot worse.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:57 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

We tend to buy house styles from the curb shots.

How many builders show you the sides in their photos? Only the ones that are all brick, it seems.
Straight on hides as much as it shows.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:12 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
It doesn't bother me. There are a lot of things that people put on the front of their house for aesthetic purposes that they don't put on other sides. Shutters, extravagant doors, extravagant landscaping, no window screens, etc.

Maybe I'm weird, but brick on all sides looks "commercial/industrial" to me. Cheaping out doesn't even enter my mind.
Are you describing red brick here? I'm trying to visualize where "commercial/industrial" enters the picture.

My whole house is brick, but it's a lime washed brick and I cannot say as I know many commercial sites that have lime washed brick, wide front porches with metal seam roof, or screened porches.

p.s. We also don't have window screens on the front windows except for on my office (under the porch) and my husband's (upstairs, though I have fought him and lost on that one because it looks weird to me).

I could do without them because I am not a big fan of keeping open windows... in spring and fall, they bring in pollen, in winter, it's too cold, and in summer, it's too hot.

I don't mind opening them for a little while to air out the house or whatever, but leaving them open? Nah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary