Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 08:39 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times

Advertisements

A few other items we have found that are good there (besides the ones listed above)
-sliced provolone (can't tell the difference between theirs and any of the grocery deli's)
-Plain and vanilla yogurt
-their animal crackers are way BETTER than any of the other ones we've ever had
-refrigerated pie crusts and graham cracker pie crusts
-frozen fruit (we use for fruit smoothies daily)
-marshmallows
-all of the baking supplies (flour, baking powder, chocolate chips, flaked coconut etc)
-nuts for baking (pecans, walnuts etc) and they cost about 1/2 of what they are in a grocery store
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 06:32 PM

39 posts, read 194,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
A few other items we have found that are good there (besides the ones listed above)
-sliced provolone (can't tell the difference between theirs and any of the grocery deli's)
-Plain and vanilla yogurt
-their animal crackers are way BETTER than any of the other ones we've ever had
-refrigerated pie crusts and graham cracker pie crusts
-frozen fruit (we use for fruit smoothies daily)
-marshmallows
-all of the baking supplies (flour, baking powder, chocolate chips, flaked coconut etc)
-nuts for baking (pecans, walnuts etc) and they cost about 1/2 of what they are in a grocery store

That's great to know!! If anyone else has things they like, please post here.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:52 PM

56 posts, read 47,149 times
Pineapples - usually $2.00.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:31 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,054 times
It's great to see so many people come to the defense of Aldi's. I think it was funny that while Trader Joe's is put on a pedestal, many didn't know Aldi's and TJ's are owned by the same company.

In regards to the meat, I recently purchased skinless boneless fresh Tyson chicken breasts there for a price I can't get anywhere else and they were nearly as meaty as the ones you'd find at Costco.

I've been shopping at Aldi's for over 30 years, yes, 30 years, and I by no means consider it goodwill shopping or welfare food. In fact I'm shocked to read such comparisons! They are a bare bones store in presentation which helps to keep their prices so low. Also, they don't pay a fee to credit companies for taking credit cards, don't have to incur the cost of shopping bags or having to replace carts that even in wealthier neighborhoods seem to find they way out of the parking lot. What is so wrong with having good business sense that trickles down to the consumer level who want to get the most for their dollar?

I worked for a marketing research firm for years and learned that corporations who create products don't do so because of demand. They decide how to package something and what and then in their focus groups steer the participants opinoins in agreement to theirs. (See my flashy glitsey package - makes you really want my product, doesn't it?! Yes, you gotta have it. This plain one here does nothing to entice you, right?) Anyone who repeatedly objects or states an opinoin contrary to the way everyone is being steered quickly no longer gets called upon for their opinions. What does that tell you???

Old 11-24-2008, 05:02 AM

451 posts, read 1,653,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
It's great to see so many people come to the defense of Aldi's. I think it was funny that while Trader Joe's is put on a pedestal, many didn't know Aldi's and TJ's are owned by the same company.
I know what you mean, The Waldorf-Astoria and Embassy Suites are both owned by Hilton, so they're the same thing.

Last edited by Bilirubin; 11-24-2008 at 05:29 AM..

Old 11-24-2008, 03:13 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Well said guys and gals! We have to get a petition going now and submit it to Aldi. I know I'm not there yet, but hopefully they'll have one in WF then. If ppl don't like to shop there, they don't have to. For us folks that can use an Aldi to save money, it would be a great idea.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 7,919 times
I agree with your "meat" comment. I used to buy frozen chicken tenderloins, fresh pork chops, fresh chicken parts, hot dogs, turkey bacon etc etc etc at Aldi as well as apples, oranges, bananas and other fruit. Not to mention the endless list of things like bags of dried cherries etc! There is NO chain that can match them on the basics and their quality is great. They have a 100% money back policy if for some reason you don't "like" the quality or taste of what you bought. LOVE LOVE LOVE Aldi and can't wait until they expand into CO. Miss them more than Ikea!

Old 01-31-2009, 03:34 PM

746 posts, read 2,247,810 times
It's funny - I don't particularly care for either TJ's or Aldi's. I love whole foods, wish there was one in WF or at least north Raleigh. That said, I buy a lot of staples at WalMart and save a ton of money there, and shop regularly at Costco and BJ's.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:41 PM

316 posts, read 1,006,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
It's funny - I don't particularly care for either TJ's or Aldi's. I love whole foods, wish there was one in WF or at least north Raleigh. That said, I buy a lot of staples at WalMart and save a ton of money there, and shop regularly at Costco and BJ's.
I don't know how anyone can shop at any one store anymore....I am just glad we have decent options in the area. (Though I've said it before and will say it again, Wake Forest needs an Aldi's like we need another pothole in the roads.)

I like TJs, but you can't buy everything there. Frozen veggies and their cereal it's certainly worth it alone though.

Haven't set food in Wal-mart in years, don't plan to even if they were giving away stuff...the place just has a toxic atmosphere and mindset and that isn't going to change.

Whole Foods is good for unique items, I've often been surprized that they don't have one in North Raleigh, but the one IBL isn't that hard to get to. However, I know their corporate is cutting back on many expenditures (I work for one of their vendors) so I know they are hurting with everyone else in this economy....which is not surprizing since they are often called 'whole paycheck' so I don't think we will get another one anytime soon.

Costco and BJs, as long as you shop wisely (becuase not everything there is a bargin) are wonderful additions.....but they are different stores, and unless you have both, you need to figure out which one carries more of what your family uses. (We have both....BJs is a bit cheaper overall on most items, but Costco has a wider selection of speciality items that we like.)

Old 02-01-2009, 07:05 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
I think some Aldi stores may be messier than others. So much depends on the management and how much they care about cleanliness. I remember I used to stop in to Tuesday Mornings (sells home decor items) on Spring Forest Road in Raleigh; it was fun. Now, it's filthy and disorganized every time I walk in, with products all over the place. So I won't go back.

I think the same may be true with Aldis -- if it's clean, it feels like it's a great deal. If dirty, it feels low class, regardless of food quality and prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary