Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2007, 12:19 PM

68 posts, read 272,259 times

Advertisements

We will be making our move from New Jersey to Cary or Holly springs in July and need to know if anyone can reccommend a great mover. I just got a quote from World Moving Company (which I never heard of before) for $4800 for the move which included them packing for me!! I thought that was really low considering I plan on doing my own packing. I have about 12,000 lbs to move which they quickly calculated for me and our distance is roughly 400 miles. Did anyone have a great experience with their moving company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 07:01 AM

240 posts, read 443,014 times
colby1911 I can't recommend a moving company. But I will be watching this thread closely. My wife and I are planning a visit to the Durham area in May. We have contacted some realtors/builders and are thinking of moving the Durham area from New Jersey. We live near the shore and love the beach and realize Raleigh/Durham is about a 2 hour drive to Wilmington(to see the ocean), but we really think we would like the proximtry to Duke University.

I'm just curious, how did you pick this area of North Carolina? Can you offer us any insight? Thanks.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:09 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,686,730 times
We moved from NH and used PODS -- did our own packing and loading. It was a great experience. We'd do it again (though I hope I don't have to move EVER again at least, not very soon. It IS a lot of work However, the savings is worth it. The folks at PODS very very efficient and dependable, and kept in regular communication with us about POD delivery, pickup (a month later), delivery to destination, etc. Everything went so very smoothly. We were absolutely delighted.
We actually had to have two pods delivered to two addresses, as another family was moving with us. PODS people gave us a break on price and were very accommodating on dates, etc. They delivered both PODS to two different locations here on the same day (one in the morning, the other in the afternoon). We unloaded and they picked up the POD the next day. They're very flexible with the dates and worked with us and our schedules.
Attached Thumbnails
Any Reccommendations for a good moving company-pods.jpg  

Old 02-23-2007, 07:44 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,613,953 times
I highly recommend this website:

Moderator cut: url removed

All you want to know about picking a mover (including recommendations) and how to avoid the truly scary moving scams that seem to be all too common!

I moved from DC to NC a year ago, and the website was very helpful.

Last edited by autumngal; 05-29-2008 at 05:32 PM..

Old 02-23-2007, 02:15 PM

68 posts, read 272,259 times
84 Camaro My husband got a nice job offer in the area. When we visited, we fell in love and so now we are planning our move. We have lived in South Jersey our whole life and have our family and friends close by, so...it will be a big move for us but we are very excited. And now everyone will have a great place to vacation.

AdIncc07 Thanks so much for the website movingscam.com. I already took a peek and the company I called is on the blacklist. I put this site in my favorites.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:02 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,613,953 times
Good luck with your move, Colby.

I went with a high rated moving company in the DC area - known to be a little pricey but worth it. As this was my first long-distance move I decided the few extra $$ was worth the peace-of-mind. My move went very well, and all my belongings arrived at the promised time, and intact.

That site also has great tips for packing, where to buy supplies, etc. For the more industrious, they lay out how to do the "pack it yourself" container moves.

I'm still amazed at the rampant scamming in the moving industry - there are some really sad (and scary) stories on that website if you take the time to read them. Nothing like your belongings being stolen, or held hostage for thousands of extra dollars!

Anyhow, if my post warned you off a bad mover, I'm glad I took the time to register here this morning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary