Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 02:25 PM

475 posts, read 1,304,636 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking into buying a rental property in Henderson or Durham. In both of these cities there are a plethora of homes under 30k. I fully understand this is because they are not in the best area however has anyone had any success buying one of these homes and renting it. I've found two specific homes I am interested in located in Henderson. One is off of Gary Street it's a 1950's with 870sqf for $17,900 and the other is off High Daniel its a 1940's 600sqf bungalow for $19,000. If anyone knows anything about these areas or has had any luck with purchasing a home like this and renting it please let me know. Or let me know if you have tried this and it turned out to be a nightmare.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 04:48 PM

79 posts, read 226,917 times
Just a word of caution, I would be extremely hesitant with pursuing these properties. We have a Prop Mgmt business and I can tell you that just from what you have written you may have issues with not only the properties but the tenant situation could become a nightmare (primarily in what the target market would be). Best of luck to you.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:00 PM

475 posts, read 1,304,636 times
What about Oxford NC???

Old 11-11-2008, 06:41 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,677,887 times
If you know what you're doing, these can be seen as great opportunities. However, there's probably a reason why these properties are priced at 30k and as they say, "you get what you pay for." Just because these properties are cheap does not mean that they are a good value.

Something else to think about, is how you plan to manage these properties. If you don't live in Henderson or Durham, are you prepared to make that drive each time your tenant reports a maintenance issue, or you have to perform yard maintenance, lawn mowing, replanting, etc. What about when you need to go collect rent?

Old 11-11-2008, 09:21 PM

862 posts, read 3,548,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielChang View Post
Something else to think about, is how you plan to manage these properties. If you don't live in Henderson or Durham, are you prepared to make that drive each time your tenant reports a maintenance issue, or you have to perform yard maintenance, lawn mowing, replanting, etc. What about when you need to go collect rent?
That's why we have property maintenance companies that handle all these things.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:51 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,662,809 times
Be aware that if you want to rent to section 8 people, that lead based paint will not be allowed.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
That's why we have property maintenance companies that handle all these things.
Oh? I'd love to know the name of one of those "property maintenance companies that handle all these things" and what they might typically charge for a house like the one on Gary St.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:08 AM

862 posts, read 3,548,571 times
There are several of them. As someone searching for rentals, I have amassed quite the laundry list. Off the top of my head:

Homes For Rent Durham NC Apartments, Houses For Rent Durham NC Apartments, Durham Home For Rent
Asheville Real Estate, North Carolina Mountain Real Estate, North Carolina Land Sales, Asheville Luxury Homes, Asheville Homes, Hendersonville Homes, Waynesville Homes, Brevard Homes, Lake Lure Homes, Weaverville Homes, Mars Hill Homes, Houses in WNC

I have no idea how much they charge for their services. This would apply to Durham, but I'm pretty sure they take properties in other surrounding cities too. (I wasn't sure if the Gary St. was in Durham or Henderson since they are in both cities.)

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-13-2008 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: no individual realtor links

Old 11-13-2008, 08:31 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,543 times
As someone who has and still is playing the landlord game I'll offer some advice. I can tell you with 100% certainty, that unless you are spineless, ruthless and don't let things bother you, do not buy a property in that low price range. Your tenants will have 75% default rate, tear the property apart, use it for illegal activity, (prostitution, gang activity, drug dealing) and will likely not pay more then 2-3 consecutive months of rent. The credit check, background check will not apply in this market area. Sure, you can demand it, but if you do, you won't find renters. About the most you could ask for is "Do you have a job?"

I have found that until you bump into about the $85,000 condo market in the triangle area, you are not going to find decent tenants. And even in this price range, you are taking a big risk. If you drive through the areas you mentioned offering houses for under $30,000 it's rough. Every man, women and child for himself applies in these areas. I would suggest instead of buying two low end properties, combining those funds and buying once decent one. You will be able to screen tenants, use background checks and so on.

PS. Where are you finding these homes? I see nothing in the MLS in either area for that price range?

Last edited by CarolinaCowboy; 11-13-2008 at 08:50 PM..

Old 11-13-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
PS. Where are you finding these homes? I see nothing in the MLS in either area for that price range?
They're listed in the trianglemls and accessible through realtor-dot-you know , CC.

Mia, a property management company usually charges a certain percentage of gross rents.

Properties that are in the price range mentioned by the OP don't fall in the high-end of rents in our area, and typically have the problems that PP have mentioned, so not many property managers will want to take it on (without charging correspondingly hefty fees). Even doing the management oneself, it'll be tough to turn a profit, and when you factor in what an investor pays out to a property manager ... well, you get the picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary