Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 08:22 PM

239 posts, read 1,092,535 times

Advertisements

The mall is always packed. I can't imagine it going under like Northgate...wasn't that mall privately owned by a local resident? Everytime I go to the Southpoint mall I can't find parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 08:36 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnie741 View Post
The mall is always packed. I can't imagine it going under like Northgate...wasn't that mall privately owned by a local resident? Everytime I go to the Southpoint mall I can't find parking.
The big trick for finding parking -- don't park close! If you recognize that you won't easily get a parking space close to the stores, and settle for something just a 2-minute-longer walk further from the stores, then you won't have a problem. It always kills me to see people driving slowly down each aisle on, say, floor 2 of a parking garage, when if you just jet up to floor 4 you can find dozens of empty parking spaces.

(Advice doesn't apply during holiday season, however.)

Old 11-12-2008, 09:22 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,188 times
I would be devastated, I love the shopping mall and the area!

Old 11-12-2008, 12:16 PM

65 posts, read 266,910 times
Default Don't worry

Don't worry the government will bail them out . Seriously nothing will change, I would like to see more SP style malls around, Cary/Apex sure could use a modern mall.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:33 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,694,803 times
Quote:
Yeah, and Northgate is still open. They even expanded, although they haven't been able to fill those spots yet.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:46 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Parent firm lost its shorts in Vegas mall deals.

Southpoint is a great revenue generator and will easily find a new owner.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:36 PM

316 posts, read 1,006,633 times
Quote:
I was there tonight...it was a ghost town. I hadn't been there in quite awhile but I was looking for something paticular.....I did find what I wanted, but wow....I had the place pretty much to myself.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:10 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,501 times
If the owners must liquidate, a buyer will be found. Personally, having dealt with the latest management there, I would happy to see it change. I like the Streets of Southpoint a lot, but the management running it could be more business savvy and safety oriented. A lot of negative behind the scene stuff, but a shopping area like SoS would not fall to blight or the wayside. It's a highly national rated mall and someone will purchase it. The bankruptcy only reflects the issues the team in Chicago is dealing with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeisnotmyname View Post
I was there tonight...it was a ghost town. I hadn't been there in quite awhile but I was looking for something paticular.....I did find what I wanted, but wow....I had the place pretty much to myself.
It's like that in a lot of areas nationwide. The economy is hitting people hard and shopping is not one of the first things that come to mind for some unless to appease depression.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:23 PM

675 posts, read 1,833,326 times
I live right nearby Southpoint and will often stop in on weeknights to avoid the weekend crowds.

To be fair, we've lived here over two years now, and it's ALWAYS been super quiet on weeknights, especially if you're used to how packed it gets on the weekend.

Not to say the economy's not having an effect here... I'm just saying weeknights were strikingly quiet even before the economy went south.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:29 AM

405 posts, read 1,770,539 times
Agreed. I live nearby as well, and avoid the place like the plague on weekends. Weeknights have always been great... and empty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary