Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 05:05 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Advertisements

"Termites are a concern in the southeast, so you will want to have regular sprayings even if the house is new and was treated during construction."

If someone offers to regularly spray a home for termites, report them to http://www.ncagr.com/str-pest/index.htm That will take care their license and also that little scam.

Mice can squeeze through a hole the size of a dime. Foam often stops them. And cement and steel wool are things they won't chew through.

Mice will not travel far for food, but live very near their food and water source. Clutter and being sloppy with dog food, bird seed, garbage, etc, is rolling out the red carpet. Keep clean, and like the earlier poster said, look for all entry points and block them.
Mice will not find you very congenial and will not bother you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 08:06 PM

157 posts, read 617,349 times
There are mice everywhere you go...I have not seen any out here yet...I used to live in Boston and pretty much shared apts with mice while growing up...I used to see rats roaming the streets in my neighborhood in Boston the size of cats!

Old 02-23-2007, 07:19 AM

113 posts, read 364,876 times
don't even mention rats! i would die on the spot.

thanks for all the adivse. i guess i have to prepare for mice but prevent sharing my home with them.

when looking at homes i noticed alot of screened porches, so i guess there must be alot of bugs (scared of those too). i'll be spending my summers indoors. lol

Old 02-23-2007, 07:34 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebritty View Post
don't even mention rats! i would die on the spot.

thanks for all the adivse. i guess i have to prepare for mice but prevent sharing my home with them.

when looking at homes i noticed alot of screened porches, so i guess there must be alot of bugs (scared of those too). i'll be spending my summers indoors. lol
No, there really aren't a lot of bugs around here. Where are you coming from? It may be that their are fewer bugs down here then where you are at now. I've found that to be the case coming from Ohio.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:55 AM

991 posts, read 4,618,488 times
Hi, I don't prefer to have a cat but if will chase the mice I guess its okay, but becareful don't leave the cat outside to chase the mice my brother did this and the cat chased them into the house! Once he put the cat in the house, the mice were gone, also as far as termites I had a beagle growing up and actually the pest company on Long Island used beagles to find out if there was termites, I wonder if they only detect but would they keep the termites away?

Old 02-23-2007, 12:29 PM

Desdemona123, i'm coming from ct.

i've always wanted a bull terrier. wonder if those will chase mice away too?

Old 02-23-2007, 12:41 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebritty View Post
Desdemona123, i'm coming from ct.

i've always wanted a bull terrier. wonder if those will chase mice away too?
Many terriers are outstanding mousers. Jack Russel Terriers are known for the trait as well.

I have not lived in CT, but I did in MA...and I found the bugs worse there then down here. You shouldn't have a problem if you've done okay in CT.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:01 PM

phew! this is great to hear. maybe i can get my house and dog. i'll stop at the white picket fence though.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:26 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,963 times
We have a cat, but he doesn't catch mice

We had an exterminator put something in the attic when we moved in...the mice eat it, but it doesn't activate til they drink water so they don't die in your house, they die outside at whatever creek they drink from...

We had some droppings when we moved in, but once we had the exterminator do his thing, we never had another problem.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:12 PM

233 posts, read 860,631 times
We live in a heavily wooded & older sub-div. in Clayton, our house backs up to a woods line with fields on the other side, and i've never seen a mouse in the house. We do have a lot of moles in the yard.... but no mice that I know of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary