Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 02:14 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
I too love gadgets. Unfortunately, the iPhone just proved to be too expensive with the plan.
That was my point. Unless money is not an issue, the iPhone is only worth it if you need the internet and email features.

My wife and I are on the AT&T family plan with 1400 minutes. I have the iPhone data plan, and we each have 200 text messages on our numbers. We pay something like $135-140 per month after all the fees and taxes. It seems like a lot, but we don't have a landline and my iPhone serves as a business phone and PDA as well.

Honestly, if you have a job where you have internet at work and only really need the phone for calls, then I'd skip it and get the iPod touch (which is everything but the phone part). You'll save money in the long run and have just as cool of a toy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 02:55 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,976 times
Yup! I have the iPod touch and I love it.

Jenny, it's not JUST the iPhone that is expensive - data plans in general are expensive. The 59.99 plan on the 1st gen IPhone is actually one of the cheaper ones - With Verizon I think the cheapest data plan is 69.99 or 79.99 even, so its more an issue of data or no data, not iPhone or alternative.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:17 PM

550 posts, read 1,487,623 times
I have AT&T/Cingular, and coverage is very good except in the Target and lower parking deck at North Hills. It annoys the hell out of me when I'm there with my bf and he wanders off. I don't know if that North Hills problem is common across all carriers or not, but the last time this happened, I went upstairs and called him, and he didn't pick up. He has Verizon.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:25 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,680,321 times
Speaking of AT&T coverage -- so the coverage in my home (Cary/Morrisville border) is really spotty; anyone have experience with those wireless extenders? Do they function as advertised?

Old 11-14-2008, 02:24 PM

415 posts, read 1,110,281 times
So now I'm thinking that maybe I should *really* pare down... This Cricket thing seems like a pretty good deal. I would be within the coverage area 99.9% of the time. I don't travel for work and won't be doing much other traveling for a while.

for $35/month you get unlimited talk, long distance and texting!

I don't think anyone else could beat that! Plus there is only a $15 activation fee and no contract.

If I can use the phone I already own it would be even sweeter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary