Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:47 PM

17,665 posts, read 15,381,997 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's that the dogs mind the weather so much, but the owners do not want to have to be outside in the rain or on those days when it cold(er). A nice compromise would be a partially covered dog park with some of those patio type warmers where the humans could hang out and warm up a bit and stay dry. Especially if one could enjoy a cup of coffee/tea/hot chocolate. Dog parks get used when there's a lot of human socialization as much as doggy socialization. I think that helps people come back over and over--when they have enjoyment too. IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 10:21 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,942,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Perhaps it is because I am from the freezing cold north, but an indoor dog park? Are you joking? The weather here is 95% perfect. I don's think it would be justified 95% of the time. People move here to be outside. I try and get out as much as possible. Unless there is a tornado warning, lightening etc, I'll take my pooch outside.

Just my 02 cents.
Uh...it rains...not so fun to go to the dog park in the rain...

(Did it ever rain in the Truman Show? I can't quite remember...)

Old 12-28-2008, 05:29 AM

535 posts, read 1,737,349 times
I say toss the little buggers outside in the rain. It's good for 'em.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by castufari View Post
I say toss the little buggers outside in the rain. It's good for 'em.
Oh yeah I agree....it's ME that doesn't want to go to the dog park in the rain !

(I'm not sure that there's much of a market here for an indoor dog park...but they have indoor doggie day care in NYC which is pretty much a supervised dog park, maybe in a larger city.)

Old 12-28-2008, 06:32 AM

535 posts, read 1,737,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
(I'm not sure that there's much of a market here for an indoor dog park...but they have indoor doggie day care in NYC which is pretty much a supervised dog park, maybe in a larger city.)
Depends how much it could be built for. You could use a steel building with a high roof and have the dog owners clean up after their dogs. I'm shocked that someone hasn't asked city council to undertake this. Asheville would probably build one if asked although it would take 10 years and the original 2.3 million cost would end up at 10 million. *sarcasm*

Then there is the whole environmental thing, using up gas to drive the dog across town to walk him.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:09 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,680,900 times
Here is an idea. Buy a freaking rain coat.

This is the type of post that make native North Carolinians roll their eyes!!!!

This is not Portland, this is not NYC, this is not the Yukon Territories.

You can count on the fingers of one hand the days you cannot get CUJO out for a short walk due to terrible weather in NC.

What do you think the indoor dog park would do on the 250+ days of great weather that we have. Would one feel foolish taking the pooch to the indoor park when it was 74 degrees, not a cloud in the sky? Thought so.

lln

Old 12-28-2008, 07:12 AM

Um...we DO walk our dogs in the rain, you have to, but taking my dog to a muddy dog park in the rain isn't really fun. If there were an alternative, why not?

Not everyone has a yard !

Such hostility rather than native southern charm this early Sunday morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Here is an idea. Buy a freaking rain coat.

This is the type of post that make native North Carolinians roll their eyes!!!!

This is not Portland, this is not NYC, this is not the Yukon Territories.

You can count on the fingers of one hand the days you cannot get CUJO out for a short walk due to terrible weather in NC.

What do you think the indoor dog park would do on the 250+ days of great weather that we have. Would one feel foolish taking the pooch to the indoor park when it was 74 degrees, not a cloud in the sky? Thought so.

lln

Old 12-28-2008, 07:19 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,680,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
Um...we DO walk our dogs in the rain, you have to, but taking my dog to a muddy dog park in the rain isn't really fun.
Good point, get some boots with that raincoat.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Good point, get some boots with that raincoat.
LOL...ok but (not to get totally off topic) - my dog has serious pulling issues we are working on and I have knee issues so jogging in the rain to get her enough exercise ain't gonna happen My trainer actually told me to get a used treadmill, which I am going to do...not to substitute for walks but to take the edge off before walks...

Actually I take her to day care and they have indoor play areas for rainy days, so I guess the OP would have to incorporate other things into the business (boarding , day care, etc) to make it work.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:39 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,321,517 times
you could always on raining days move your furniture to the middle of the room and walk the dog around in circles on a leash or grab a treat and have them chase you around the furniture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary