Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 09:42 AM

38 posts, read 131,606 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I've been living in NC for a few months now but have yet to deal with Black Friday shopping in NC. Where I am orginally from (Portage, Michigan) people would line up at 4am to get the great computer, Xbox (wii, PS3 etc) or TV deals everything was always super friendly. It was always a great time and I made some friends while standing in line for longer than it actually took to shop for my items. What I am wondering is what the atmosphere is like here on Black Friday. I live in Wilson NC right now and will probably be doing the shopping in Rocky Mount unless I hear there is somewhere better that also has a Best Buy (the one store I can't miss this year). What do you think of your black friday shopping experences? Good, bad, or ULGY?

Thanks so much for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 10:25 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
I think you will fair weel in Wilson due to it a huge population hub.
However still expect stores to open at 5 a.m
staples Black Friday Ad 2008 -
Bestbuy Black Friday Ad 2008 -
lowes Black Friday Ad 2008 -

Old 11-15-2008, 04:45 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
I saw some folks duking it out at Walmart on New Hope Church Rd Raleigh.

Not a great store anyway.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:47 PM

945 posts, read 1,972,214 times
Black Friday????

Old 11-15-2008, 04:51 PM

306 posts, read 719,923 times
Black Friday is the "official" first day of Christmas shopping--it's the Friday after Thanksgiving Day.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:55 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
I cannot imagine anyone being so materialistic as to stand in line to buy anything unless this is the only store that sells it and a child wants Santa to bring it. I am going to assume that you are talking about the Friday after Thanksgiving. I went shopping on that day once. It took hours to get back home because Independence Blvd. in Charlotte was a huge parking lot. I sit at home with my hot chocolate and just enjoy being thankful I am not in the shopping madness on that day.

Most people in North Carolina have always been civil. Hope that hasn't changed with the influx.

I just read the post above. I try to have all my shopping done by Thanksgiving so I can enjoy the Christmas season, church, parties, etc. with as little stress as possible.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:59 PM

945 posts, read 1,972,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herd33 View Post
Black Friday is the "official" first day of Christmas shopping--it's the Friday after Thanksgiving Day.

The doom & gloom media said they canceled it.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I cannot imagine anyone being so materialistic as to stand in line to buy anything unless this is the only store that sells it and a child wants Santa to bring it.
My husband works hard 10 - 12 hours per day and we are very careful with our money. Usually each Black Friday (yes, The day after Thanksgiving for Christmas shopping - what else would I be talking about?) There is something I can find that if we get up early and stand in line will be $500.00 or so cheaper...enough to make it affordable. This year I will be surprising him with a TV because he doesn't watch black friday ads and doesn't think that we can afford it. I wish I didn't really care what you think or "cannot imagine anyone being so materialistic" but maybe you should think about the type of hurt such words can do even though they are written to someone you don't know or will probably ever meet.

I have fun shopping Black Friday. I like saving the money, and Like I wrote earlier, I've actually made good friends while standing in line. Maybe I'm a little soft but your post kind of hurts. I'm not writing to complain I just wanted to let you know what the effects of your words were so that perhaps in the future you will think before writing such judgmental posts.

I hope you have a blessed Christmas season,
Amy

Last edited by Abredin; 11-16-2008 at 09:15 AM..

Old 11-16-2008, 07:49 AM

Default Thanks Everyone!

I really appreciate your feedback, I really hope to have a fun Black Friday. I don't know why I was apprehensive...I just don't want to miss out on the fun and wanted to make sure not to get my hopes up if it didn't have the same sort of attitude around here that I am used to. It all sounds good and I bet it will be a great experience. I mean everyone is so fun anyway how could it not be great!

I know many people don't like Black Friday shopping...but for those of us who do it is a fun (SUPER-FUN) day. We save money and make friends, we find those deals that make it so we can get more for our money or afford things we didn't think we could.

I can't wait. Maybe my new NC Best friend is in one of those lines!

Thanks for all the input!
Amy

Old 11-16-2008, 12:07 PM

31 posts, read 103,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abredin View Post
My husband works hard 10 - 12 hours per day and we are very careful with our money. Usually each Black Friday (yes, The day after Thanksgiving for Christmas shopping - what else would I be talking about?) There is something I can find that if we get up early and stand in line will be $500.00 or so cheaper...enough to make it affordable. This year I will be surprising him with a TV because he doesn't watch black friday ads and doesn't think that we can afford it. I wish I didn't really care what you think or "cannot imagine anyone being so materialistic" but maybe you should think about the type of hurt such words can do even though they are written to someone you don't know or will probably ever meet.

I have fun shopping Black Friday. I like saving the money, and Like I wrote earlier, I've actually made good friends while standing in line. Maybe I'm a little soft but your post kind of hurts. I'm not writing to complain I just wanted to let you know what the effects of your words were so that perhaps in the future you will think before writing such judgmental posts.

I hope you have a blessed Christmas season,
Amy
I'm with you 100%. There's nothing materialistic about saving a lot of money, especially now when a lot of families need every penny. Any why not stand in line for a huge discount for something that's already on your Christmas list anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary