Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 08:47 PM

449 posts, read 1,343,527 times

Advertisements

I'm pleased with our lack of change in elementary school; and with the proposed change to our base middle school. They're making it so that kids at our year-round elementary have a base middle school that is also year round; as it is now, middle schoolers in our node had to apply to year round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 10:12 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,426,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Just out of curiousity i looked up the changes for Apex High, which was changed significantly for the 2006-2007 school year (my son's senior year and what was supposed to be my daughters freshman year at Apex High until they reassigned a huge chunk of Apex to Panther Creek high..including us). It couldnt' be more blunt than the way they worded it themselves...a big factor in the decision to transfer some of the students to Apex high is to raise the number of low-income students....
FWIW, practically the same wording was used to justify transfers from Millbrook High School to Wake Forest Rolesville High School..

2009-12 Draft Reassignment Proposal for Wake Forest-Rolesville High :

Staff recommends that a group of nodes projected to include approximately 237 students in grades 9-12 be assigned from Millbrook High to Wake Forest-Rolesville High to align feeder patterns and raise the percentage of students from low-income families at Wake Forest-Rolesville High. These nodes include 243.3, 243.4, 243.6, 243.7, 244.7, and 712.0.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:17 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,533,759 times
Yeah, i'm sure it's the motive behind many of the reassignments. Atleast they are being straightforward about it though.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:49 AM

9 posts, read 21,018 times
I live in Preston Country Club in western cary, and I got redistricted to Cary High(good 20 minute drive), even though my house is 5 minutes from Green Hope High and Panther Creek High.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:56 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,665,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slambinlambin View Post
I live in Preston Country Club in western cary, and I got redistricted to Cary High(good 20 minute drive), even though my house is 5 minutes from Green Hope High and Panther Creek High.
Are you in one of the nodes assigned to Morrisville Elementary? I noticed they reassigned a lot of Preston that had been assigned to Morrisville/West Cary/Green Hope to Morrisville/East Cary/Cary High. I can't imagine that is going to go over well. That's clearly a rebalancing issue since they Green Hope had nodes in and nodes out (so it wasn't really about being over capacity like most of the Panther Creek reassignments). I have to say I was surprised that Highland Oaks/Weatherstone/Glenkirk weren't reassigned to Cary High because they are as close to Cary as they are to Green Hope.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:58 AM

86 posts, read 323,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slambinlambin View Post
Us too!

I don't understand how removing 2 nodes from one subdivision will promote "a sense of community and connection (i.e. neighborhoods, parent involvement)".

Old 11-16-2008, 09:04 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,665,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
Us too!

I don't understand how removing 2 nodes from one subdivision will promote "a sense of community and connection (i.e. neighborhoods, parent involvement)".
Unfortunately, that's not their objective. They think their "good intentions" outweigh anything else regardless of the consequences.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:07 AM

316 posts, read 1,003,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
Us too!

Because 'community' involves more then just a subdivision. They are looking at community in the sense of the entire area.

It's one of the reasons why Wake county has so many good schools, and not just a few well performing ones and others that no one would willingly send their kids to.

Is it perfect? No, but I'd prefer it to any of the other suggustions I see out there. Wake County is very upfrount about reassignments and how they do them....this should not surprize anyone.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:48 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,724,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeisnotmyname View Post
Because 'community' involves more then just a subdivision. They are looking at community in the sense of the entire area.
I'm torn on this statement. On many levels I agree that community is much further reaching than our own subdivisions, even a big one like Preston. But at the same token I get what the person from Preston is saying.

Personally, I ***think*** I could stomach the bussing for high school more than elementary and middle. By high school your world has expanded and is far reaching. Plus you can drive yourself to your friends house or take the bus if that is an option. But elementary school kids are stuck w/ asking mom & dad for a ride. It's so much easier if they can just walk down the block to their friends house or ride their bike to the next subdivision over to a friends house.

I think we should work on building larger communities that include more diverse people and areas. But change is hard for people, some need their time to mourn and vent. And this is a good place to do that.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:38 PM

906 posts, read 2,375,019 times
Quote:
It's one of the reasons why Wake county has so many good schools, and not just a few well performing ones and others that no one would willingly send their kids to.
Actually, I do think that's the system we have--a few well performing ones, most mediocre and several bad ones. Not as drastic as it is in more urban districts, but there are still more 'bad' schools than WCPSS cares to admit. I used to believe your statement, but the more I look into the schools, the more I think it just isn't true.

I also agree with those who said that the moves are not just about filling new schools. There are children being bused from downtown 17 miles away to Green Hope High and Panther Creek in order to raise the F&R at those schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary