Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2008, 04:38 PM

431 posts, read 1,338,222 times

Advertisements

Ok.....I just got this phone call from a friend who lives in Clayton that knows we are coming down in 2 weeks to buy our house.....

We are planning to look over in Glen Laurel as there were a couple of homes we really liked.....

Anyways my friend knew this and called me to tell me that a women she works with said that her grandaughter goes to this school and was told that the kids sometimes have to be brought in a recess due to a hunting area that is nearby and them hearing shooting....

Is this true??? If so does anyone have information on this? I mean is it in the area and the sound is echoeing and they are taking precautions or is does it border the hunting grounds....

Made me a little uneasy and obviously I am going to look into this much more before we make a decision.....

I am in no means knocking this school just trying to find out if this information is accurate and whether there is a need for concern

Thanks in advance for any information....ps I do plan on calling the school on Monday to find out....but thought I'd also ask here......

Suzanne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 11:46 AM

47 posts, read 167,041 times
My 6 year old daughter goes to Powhaten and she did come home mad one afternoon saying that they couldn't go outside because it was hunting season! I moved here from very rural upstate NY and we never encounterred this before!! I kind of dismissed it because I thought she heard wrong, oops I guess she was right! I have to say that I basically like the school. I have an issue that they only have Gym once a week, I am not sure if that will change when the new gym floor is finished. Feel free to pm me if you want more info.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:58 PM

I didnt get a chance to call the school today but will tomorrow....since we are very intersted in glen laurel and that is the elementary school...

I mean is it often or because they heard the shots....and how close is the proximity to the hunting area....ya know...

Obviously they are taking measures, but its still a little or should I say alot unnerving especially when we are looking for a home....

I guess I will have more info after I call the school.....I will pm you also but once I get some more info I will definately pass it on...

Suzanne

Old 11-19-2008, 05:37 AM

223 posts, read 566,660 times
I have a child that goes to Powhatan. I am curious about what the answer to the hunting question is when you contact the school as I have not heard about this and have asked around since you posted it. The area all around the school is open- fields and woods, and I believe there are power lines there too. I have definitely seen my share of deer and other critters on Vinson Road where the school is located. Hunting is a definite sport in Clayton and NC in general. Also, I couldn't figure out how to PM you- can you PM me the info if possible? Thanks.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:41 PM

53 posts, read 162,185 times
Default Glen Laurel is GREAT and is Powhatan

The reason why PE is just one day is because they have enrichment classes. My daughter is in Kindergarten there. Monday is Spanish, Tuesday is PE, Weds is Art, Thursday is Music and Friday is Library. They play everyday outside on the playground. To me they do get PE everyday. The media room is better then some high schools and they have more computers then some middle schools. The art room is to die for. Yes, the gym floor got messed up and needs to be redone the school is doing just that. Blame the contractor for that one. The PTA is very active and the children do not have to go door to door selling things. The school sponsors pizza night, box tops, and other type of events so the children do not have to sell high priced wrapping paper. Please tour the school, talk to the principle and then pack your bags and move to Glen Laurel. We need to rent our home out due to the fact my 83 year old mother needs a down stairs room, but we will keep the home and rent another one in Glen Laurel. We plan to stay here, all the schools are wonderful. Contact me privately if you wish to, and No I do not sell real estate. I just love it here, Annalisa

Old 11-21-2008, 11:07 AM

I did call the school and the woman I spoke with said it happened in Sept and only one time and they did not allow the kids outside that day......

I asked if it was common and or does the school border any properties where this is an issue and she basiclly said that the heard the echoeing shots and did this as a precaution....

which I totally agreee........we are planing on visiting the school the week after thanksgiving.....and yes she said there were those activities just one each day......here we have all the same activities but they do have gym 2/3 times a week so I guess that is alot of what others are used to, but as my husband also said the weather is nicer longer so they do get to go outside more often....

I didnt want to startle anyone but was definately curious since it is a serious matter......I was happy with the information that i got.

I did check the schools website and was very pleased with the pta infomation that I read thru....I am very active in the pta here for the past 8 years so I will definately be getting involved once we settle down there.......

Glen laurel is high on our list......I know their are lots of children in the area.....I have 3 boys 5,10,13 are there plenty of kids their ages?

Also I'd love to know how they hand the kinder's when they get to the school ......here they have them all get off the buses and meet in a large room where they separate into classes and then the teachers sign them in and bring them to their rooms......i'm just worried he's not going to know what to do and get lost in the mx since they are all ready set and know the routines......(I'm just a nervous mommy....lol)

Thanks sue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary