Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2008, 08:25 PM

9 posts, read 29,418 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with "customized" shelving etc. in your master bedroom closets that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I want to have well-organized space (more than the single wire rack the builder put in), but I think the companies like California Closets etc. cost thousands. Any suggestions for nice-looking, affordable organizers? DIY is fine as long as it's not too complicated.

Similarly, what's a reasonable way to go about purchasing window treatments for the gazillion, different-dimensioned windows in our new house? Any ideas for quick fixes for privacy until we figure it all out and order/buy what we need? Many thanks in advance for your suggestions!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 12:32 PM

3 posts, read 6,938 times
Organize It is a good place to have a custom closet designed. They have a few different types of closet systems that range in price depending on the system used and the design. Here is their online closet showroom: http://www.organizeitclosets.com . They are located in the Sacramento area.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:59 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,696,218 times
ClosetMaid - Main (http://www.closetmaid.com/Design/Professional_Design_Service/index.cfm - broken link)
Go here, they'll design your closet, and then you can just go to Lowes to buy the pieces. It's the easiest and most inexpensive route for closets.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:05 PM

183 posts, read 671,810 times
I'm not sure if they are still on sale, but we just bought a house and got FANTASTIC prices on custom window treatments at, of all places, JCPenny. For example, we got custom plantation blinds at like, half the price of everywhere else. Might want to check them out!

Old 11-11-2008, 05:50 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,549,429 times
home depot had a line of DIY closet organizers - I actually outfitted our food pantry with the shelving and drawers. Folks ooh and ahh when they go in there. I was able to put in exactly what we needed because their options were so unlimited. If I had to do my closet, I would look there again. Not sure if they still carry them - they had two lines - one was wire and white boards but the other line had white and birch boards and the wire drawers had two finishes - the brushed aluminum look and the shiny alum. In any event, good luck!

p.s. I also used JCPenney for pull down blinds when we first moved in - I hit a sale so it was 50-60% off at the time. At least having blinds was a stopgap until I decided more permanently what to do.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:44 PM

9 posts, read 29,418 times
Many thanks for the suggestions! I also read about Rubbermaid's line - I think it's called Configurations - recommended by Consumer Reports as of a couple of years ago. Does anyone have experience with this line or comparisons with other similar lines like the ClosetMaid system?

Old 11-17-2008, 10:51 AM

3 posts, read 9,269 times
In regards to great window blinds at the lowest prices I have ever seen I would all ALL PHASE BLINDS in Raleigh. I just bought a new home and was price shopping for months- this company sent someone out and had a larger selection than anyone else- was very patient with me and had the lowest prices around on all sorts of different options. They were EVEN LOWER THAN HOME DEPOT OR LOWE'S !! their office is in Raleigh near Triangle town center but if you call them they will send someone out to you and have free installation and all sorts of payment options- call them at : 878-0006 - I was totally impressed with them right away !!

Old 11-17-2008, 03:16 PM

551 posts, read 2,288,198 times
We used the laminate collection from ClosetMaid as sold at Lowes Hardware. We love it and saved thousands over what professional companies quoted us. It took one weekend of planning and one weekend of doing, including paint and new lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary