Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 12:09 PM

767 posts, read 1,847,368 times

Advertisements

Well, we intended to move here without jobs, but the day the moving truck arrived in CA I got a call to be a contractor for the state, which turned into permanant employment. My DH on the other hand quit his job in CA, worked at home for a few yrs, and has been actively seeking employment on and off for about 9 months (on 3 months, got a job for 6 mos, then laid off, now looking again for 6 mos). He has an interview tomorrow tho so we are very hopeful!!!

I would definitely not recommend it in this economy. Things were different 3 yrs ago, and we had a very large nest egg to fall back on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 12:11 PM

4 posts, read 11,051 times
I moved here without a job, but given the current state of the economy I wouldn't do it (that's just me, though).

One thing I've noticed about here is that they take FOREVER to make job offers. You need to be proactive and follow up on your interviews.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:53 PM

315 posts, read 1,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
Curious, anyone on these message boards made a conscious decision to move from another state to the Raleigh area without a job? In other words, was employed in another state, wanted to move, and just figured they will resign from their current employment and take a leap of faith and move to Raleigh and find work.

These questions is for anyone that has actually moved with no job lined up; About how much money worth of bills and expenses did you save prior to making the move? How long did it take to find work? And how did the move turn out?
I moved here with no job lined up. Although my wife had a job with UNC and moved here 2 months before I did. We sold our house in Jersey, and rented an apartment in Durham. So we didn't have that many bills to pay, and we could live off the one salary until I did find a job. It was strange not having one after 25 years of steady employment. I took a job one month after moving here just to have one. It wasn't one that I was going to stay in for the long haul, but I needed to work to keep me sane. I'm on my 3rd (the 2nd and hopefully the last one now.

The move turned out great. We haven't been back to Jersey since we moved here. My wife is still at UNC, and I'm at Duke. What could be better.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:21 PM

4 posts, read 16,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
I totally agree. I've lived in this area through a couple of recessions, and moving without a job lined up is NOT something anyone should be doing. Following your bliss may seem like a great idea now, but if you can't find a job for months and months, how blissful will you feel? It's getting harder & harder to find a job in almost any industry around here (with a few notable exceptions). Stay put. You can always come up here later when things get better.
I totally agree with this response. Several years ago I attempted to relocate to Roanoke, VA thinking things would work out since I am a VT grad, love VA, etc. In that smaller community, jobs were scarce and locals definitely had an advantage regarding hearing about the job and ultimately getting it. Planning sounds boring and my foot-loose style is a nice illusion, but when it comes down to big decisions, sometimes (oftentimes?) you simply have to be more practical. One major consideration, as boring as it sounds, is health insurance. If you leave a job and keep the insurance, you will pay a high monthly premium. If you risk having no insurance, you can put yourself in serious financial peril for a long, long time if "something" were to happen. Find the job and then make the move!

Old 11-17-2008, 10:06 PM

1,061 posts, read 2,250,615 times
Thanks to everyone that replied to this thread. Many sound and reasonable advice. As far as my current situation; own a home in FL, my kids may be heading off to college out of state in the summer of 2009(at least that is the plan).

I am hoping to find permanent work in the Raleigh area before heading over there if I was to make the move in the summer. However, I am or at least was considering making a move with 3-6 months of my expenses and bills socked away in savings to tie me over until I find suitable employment. But I like a few people posted, with the current state of our economy, staying put may be more of a prudent decision and moving now is much more riskier than even 2 or 3 years ago.

I just hope I am out of here within the next 2-3 years, because If I do not take a chance this summer, I will probably be willing to take a chance regardless of the economy in 2-3 years as long as I have 3-6 months worth of $ saved.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:14 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Thanks to everyone that replied to this thread. Many sound and reasonable advice. As far as my current situation; own a home in FL, my kids may be heading off to college out of state in the summer of 2009(at least that is the plan).

I am hoping to find permanent work in the Raleigh area before heading over there if I was to make the move in the summer. However, I am or at least was considering making a move with 3-6 months of my expenses and bills socked away in savings to tie me over until I find suitable employment. But I like a few people posted, with the current state of our economy, staying put may be more of a prudent decision and moving now is much more riskier than even 2 or 3 years ago.

I just hope I am out of here within the next 2-3 years, because If I do not take a chance this summer, I will probably be willing to take a chance regardless of the economy in 2-3 years as long as I have 3-6 months worth of $ saved.

If you plan on moving summer of 2009 and live in FL, you may want to put your house on the market now. Not to be funny, but it may take that long to sell. What kind of work do you do?

Old 11-18-2008, 06:29 AM

95 posts, read 327,837 times
I worked on coast of NC for 25 years without a single day unemployment. Moved here with good job (or so it seemed) lined up. Worked 5mths without a hitch. Size of company slowly dwindled down until the owner and I were the only ones left. Then in early Oct I got the news of the lay off.
Ive put in well over 150 resumes for jobs and having ZERO luck. I cant even find a job that pays less than Im accustomed to do to being "overqualified".
I honestly feel it was a mistake to leave a company back on the coast that I had worked for 23years. Now Im suffering the actions I have made. Im starting to get desperate and depressed

Old 11-18-2008, 08:02 AM

52 posts, read 142,875 times
We did it and my husband cannot find a job with his brand new Ph.D. He actually got a great offer with a state government agency, but it is like a job behind an impenetrable force field because there is a state hiring freeze! I, on the other hand, am commuting to FL for work and we are making do that way until I can build up my business here.

I would never recommend someone move here without a job right now. The job situation is just too bleak.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:30 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Holland Willis Jr View Post
I worked on coast of NC for 25 years without a single day unemployment. Moved here with good job (or so it seemed) lined up. Worked 5mths without a hitch. Size of company slowly dwindled down until the owner and I were the only ones left. Then in early Oct I got the news of the lay off.
Ive put in well over 150 resumes for jobs and having ZERO luck. I cant even find a job that pays less than Im accustomed to do to being "overqualified".
I honestly feel it was a mistake to leave a company back on the coast that I had worked for 23years. Now Im suffering the actions I have made. Im starting to get desperate and depressed
Sorry to hear that you're getting depressed. Keep your chin up. Is there anyway you could move back to the coast and get your old job back? Just a suggestion.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:24 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,012 times
Quote:
Curious, anyone on these message boards made a conscious decision to move from another state to the Raleigh area without a job? In other words, was employed in another state, wanted to move, and just figured they will resign from their current employment and take a leap of faith and move to Raleigh and find work.

I am planning on moving to the area within the next 2-3 years. Lately though I am seriously thinking and considering about making my move next year. Whenever I visit the Raleigh area, and do so a few times a year, I simply want to stay and not return to Miami. So it is just a matter of looking for suitable work and straightening out my finances before possibly moving.

These questions is for anyone that has actually moved with no job lined up; About how much money worth of bills and expenses did you save prior to making the move? How long did it take to find work? And how did the move turn out?
I'm not one the people who would try and discourage anyone from moving to the area. But in this environment, I would strongly suggest having a job before giving the one up where you reside. The "wing and a prayer" days are coming to an end for now. You did say you have a window of 2-3 years, so things might be much better then. I still see jobs in the area, but they seem to be drying up some. I came over without a job, but at my young age of 42, I have a pension and two rental properties I manage. Otherwise there is no way I would have moved with no job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary