Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 12:42 PM

932 posts, read 3,097,981 times

Advertisements

My son is assigned to Creech Road Elementary next year for Kindergarten. This year (and last) it hasn't met Federal AYP Standards. Last year I heard that if your assigned school doesn't meet AYPs that you can transfer to another school.

Per the recent reassignment plan, East Garner is our new year round option. I'd really like for him to attend year round and plan to apply. I was wondering if he'd have a better chance at year round since Creech road isn't up to par?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 01:10 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,695,305 times
My understanding from the No Child Left Behind Law, is that they have to allow you a transfer to a school that has met the guidelines, if your assigned school has not for 2 consecutive years.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:52 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
My understanding from the No Child Left Behind Law, is that they have to allow you a transfer to a school that has met the guidelines, if your assigned school has not for 2 consecutive years.
But they do not have to guarantee you a spot at the school you choose. They just have to guarantee you a spot at some WCPSS that meets NCLB standards. NCLB is not well written.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:35 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
First of all you need to find out EXACTLY what the status of Creech Road is. I did see that they failed NCBL standards and had at some point gone into sanctions where they have to offer you an alternative school. I believe the sanctions last for 2 years. So it sort of depends on whether or not they have already been in it for 2 years and when your child reaches KG next year, if they will still be in it or will they be moving out of the sanctions this year. It's possible that this is the 2nd year of sanctions for them and if they meet AYP this year that the school choice option will be removed.
And PDX is right, they offer you ONE choice of a different school, but they make the choice. So you get to choose between school A (your old school) and school B (the other option assigned to you).
If school A is traditional calendar then school B is supposed to be as well (and vice versa).
So, if you really want all the details about their AYP status and stuff, I would pick up the phone and make an appointment to speak with someone at the school in detail and find out if Creech Road will have to offer an alternative school when your child starts and what that option will be.
You probably know this already, but your child must be enrolled in their BASE school in order to apply for YR or your alternative choice, so make sure you get that done as soon as KG enrollment starts (sometime in Jan or Feb).

I do not think their AYP status will have anything to do with increasing or decreasing your chances of getting into a YR school unless THAT school is the one parents can choose as an alternative. Getting into YR is based on a whole different set of criteria lie how crowded you rbase school is, how crowded the YR school is and other factors as well.
Good luck! I hope you find your answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary