Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 07:49 PM

415 posts, read 1,110,281 times

Advertisements

I'll know the recession is affecting me when I:

1. Decide that buying Reese's Peanut Butter Cups in bulk is a luxury rather than a need.

2. Start buying my clothes at Target to save money instead of at my favorite consignment shop.

3. Get my nails done once every three weeks instead of two.

4. Attempt to do a Brazillian wax myself at home.

5. Search the papers every day for coupons for The Angus Barn.

6. Move from Clayton to Cary to save gas.

7. Feign illness on days I'm supposed to participate in potlucks at work. (why do I have to spend the money to make a dish that feeds 10??)

8. Go from shopping at Whole Foods to Harris Teeter to Lowes to Food Lion to giving my exclusive grocery business to the dollar store.

9. Refuse to date you because you don't live within what I consider my drivable radius.

10. Stop going to church to avoid tithing (I jest! I jest! I don't go to church...)

I have implemented a couple of these ideas... I won't tell you which, except to say, "Oh, the pain! The pain!"

Jenny_B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 08:03 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
number 4...wow...that's a little TMI! lol

Old 11-17-2008, 08:09 PM

415 posts, read 1,110,281 times
See the section entitled, "Oh the pain!" It is not a job for amateurs!

Old 11-17-2008, 08:36 PM

945 posts, read 1,972,214 times
11. When you stop posting on Raleigh/Durham City Data because you are afraid you will wear out the keyboard and not be able to afford another one.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:40 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times
Number 4 is hilarious and I better not say anything more about that but let's just say I can relate

Oh great I just noticed that my stats say my posts have been read over a million times.

Well, us ladies put ourselves through a lot, lol.

Last edited by scorp200; 11-17-2008 at 08:51 PM..

Old 11-17-2008, 08:47 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,686 times
Rake up the leaves in your yard and as you prepare to drag them to the curb for garbage day......wonder if they might be etible.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:05 PM

24 posts, read 66,492 times
Okay, maybe this is too much information.....but you DID bring it up. I waxed once (not even the bikini area) and I thought having triplets must be easier. I get lasered and now Blue Water Spa www.bluewaterspa.com has a great promotion to help stock the NC Food Bank, they are really in need of food!! You get $80.00 off laser hair removal or other spa services if you bring in canned goods. Iit's a nice promotion for a good cause and it doesn't hurt!
Oh, #4 Watch for Harris Teeter Triple coupon days. I saved almost 70% on my last round of shopping

Old 11-18-2008, 12:16 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nc View Post
Okay, maybe this is too much information.....but you DID bring it up. I waxed once (not even the bikini area) and I thought having triplets must be easier. I get lasered and now Blue Water Spa www.bluewaterspa.com has a great promotion to help stock the NC Food Bank, they are really in need of food!! You get $80.00 off laser hair removal or other spa services if you bring in canned goods. Iit's a nice promotion for a good cause and it doesn't hurt!
Oh, #4 Watch for Harris Teeter Triple coupon days. I saved almost 70% on my last round of shopping
This is a female thing I know, but they sell a home laser model now for about $500 that allows you to permanently remove hair in the privacy of your own home. It is forever, so make sure you only use it where you really want all the hair gone. They did a piece on CNN about it and the lady reporter used and gave it high marks.

Being the scientific guy I am, I would sure like to watch the system in use, so I can see how it functions.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:47 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny_B View Post
I'll know the recession is affecting me when I:
Jenny_B
1. Stop bringing my good clothes to the dry cleaners and launder them myself.
2. Give up having my hair cut/colored every 5 weeks.
3. Stop having my dog groomed monthly.

These are my "splurges" but in all seriousness, I am much more acutely aware of day to day to spending. We've been doing a lot of cooking on weekends and eating leftovers during the week, not dining out as often. We've also put aside plans for some home improvement projects and have really stopped using credit cards.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:09 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
1. Instead of eating out every week for dinner on Sat, and lunch on Sat and Sun, we now only go out to dinner on Sat. . . . . . .and it has to be a place that we can feed a family of 3 for under $25 including tip.

2. We've stopped contributing to our Roth IRAs and my son's 529.

3. Only buying Christmas gifts for the kids this year. Nothing for the adults.

4. Switched from premium unleaded to regular unleaded for my car.

5. No more new clothes and no more dry cleaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary